VMware vSAN Review

For my customers who must balance capital and operational budgets, it allows them to buy only what they need now and then grow as needed. However, not having VRealize detracts from its usability.

Valuable Features

Scalability, and flexibility.

My conversations, now, have to do with trying to help customers on how to grow with VSAN.

Improvements to My Organization

It offers a lower cost of growth for a lot of our customers. They can meet immediate needs, but don’t need to spend a lot of money now. Balancing between capital budget and operational budget, instead of buying SAN to SAN, they can buy what they need now and then have operational costs after that.

Room for Improvement

If you don't have vRealize Operations, it would detract from usability of VSAN. It allows our customers to see more granularly than other storage solutions.

Never used. Last week, I got in touch with a channel partner, and he talked about different tools and different things they had implemented. Our team excited about it because there we don’t have many resources, but now we have with channel partner.

Implementation Team

We set it up for our healthcare customer with our in-house team only.

Other Solutions Considered

Look outside of upfraont costs, because it’ll be equivalent to Nutanix. Its biggest value is its scalability. You can buy a little bit, and not a whole infrastructure box when you want to grow. Customers can just spin up half a dozen additional hosts quickly of they want.

Other Advice

I have a lot of confidence in it, but it’s a challenge to convince customers because they’re intrigued but don’t want to take the steps. All the specs and concept of having storage within servers is interesting to customers, but not ready to pull trigger. If we can sell more with Horizon, then licenses included for pricing, and must refresh hosts anyways.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're a VMware Partner