VMware vSAN Review

The local server can access data at full speed and have low-latency in SSD. There should be an option to create more than one datastore.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features of this product are:

• Software-defined class which is one of the building blocks for SDDC.
  • Flexible – It scales as and when needed.
  • Simple – It is easy to manage.
  • Performance – The local server can access data at full speed and have low-latency in SSD.
  • Since there are no network-attached storage appliances, the infrastructure cost is lower.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us in reducing the waiting time to provision new storage devices and meet customer SLAs in order to build new VMs.

What needs improvement?

Some areas where this product can be improved are:

• If we could create multiple datastores rather than a single one, it would be helpful.
  • There could be improvements in the hardware failure and data recovery methods.
  • There should be an option to create more than one datastore like other SDS vendors have in order to allow the features to support Storage DRS & Storage I/O Control (SIOC).
  • A control panel for VMs is absent. Although, other vendors are deploying this for each host to provide better storage control.
  • A typical data center for installation of systems requires more storage growth than servers. This limits the scalable features of vSAN.

I have used this solution for around 14 months.

We did see some backup failures due to .vmx lock files in the vSAN datastore.

We have encountered some scalability issues and got a couple of performance tickets.

The technical support from VMware is good.

We were not using any other solution previously. This is our first attempt at the software-defined storage system and Nimble is our product for testing purposes.

It was straightforward. There is a single checkbox if the prerequisites are met with.

The pricing policy varies as below:

• vSAN Standard is still priced at $2,495/CPU or $50/desktop.
  • The Advanced Edition license is priced around $3,995/CPU or $100/desktop where as the Enterprise license is priced at $5,495/CPU or $120/desktop.

VMware brought this is as free upgrade, so we did not evaluate any other options but Nimble is the next one.

What other advice do I have?

vSAN 6.2 has lot of new features which can be good for small and medium-sized servers & VDI infrastructures.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a VMware Premier Reseller and Service Provider.