VMware vSAN Review

Uses the same servers the hypervisor uses.

What is most valuable?

• Converged solution for shared storage

When configuring a HA vSphere cluster, you need shared storage. Traditionally, one would need a SAN or NAS to provide this kind of HA. Using vSAN, you can use the same servers as the hypervisor uses for the vSAN storage. No SAN or NAS is needed and much less hardware is needed to provide the same HA solution.

How has it helped my organization?

• No need for additional storage
  • Hypervisor can provide storage as well
  • Integration in a virtualization stack

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvement in monitoring and performance statistics. When installing the product, it has limited statistics. The default vCenter statistics are available, but deep IOPS/latency and block sizing is absent. You can connect vRealize Operations to vSAN, giving much more information, but this is not available by default.

We have been using this solution for two years.

I did not encounter any issues with stability.

I did not encounter any issues with scalability. I suggest starting with a four-node cluster.

I would give technical support a rating of 7/10.

We use this solution along with another solution, so there was no hard switch.

It is easy for a VMware administrator to install.

We use it in a cloud-provider model based on usage. The end user pricing is not known.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a four-node cluster.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cloud Provider (customer using product in a usage model: vCAN)
More VMware vSAN reviews from users
...who work at a Healthcare Company
...who compared it with Nutanix Acropolis AOS
Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.