IBM Cognos Overview

IBM Cognos is the #6 ranked solution in our list of top Reporting Tools. It is most often compared to Tableau: IBM Cognos vs Tableau

What is IBM Cognos?

Cognos Software is IBM's Business Intelligence and Performance Management solution, offering BI, strategy management, financial performance, and data analytics applications. Cognos caters to all levels in an organization with products designed for individuals, workgroups, departments, mid-size companies, and big enterprises.

IBM Cognos is also known as Cognos, Cognos Analytics, IBM Cognos Analytics.

IBM Cognos Buyer's Guide

Download the IBM Cognos Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM Cognos Customers

More than 23,000 leading organizations across multiple industries use Cognos. Some examples of Cognos customers include BMW Financial Services, Quinte Health Care, Troy Corporation, Michigan State University, and GKN Land System.

IBM Cognos Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about IBM Cognos pricing:
  • "Pricing should be improved."
  • "It is my understanding that the cost is very low. It's not very expensive."
  • "The pricing of this product is meant for medium to large-scale enterprises."

HP
Senior Technical Coordinator - IM and BI at a healthcare company with 11-50 employees
View all the numbers through one single platform to make business decisions, but pay for the privilege

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is just pure BI (Business Intelligence) delivery.

• "A drag-and-drop interface for selecting creating ad hoc reports makes this product very easy to use."
  • "They were lacking in the initial phases of development in the area of big data, and they still need to improve that aspect of the product."

What other advice do I have?

I think as per my understanding, everyone has their own criterion and measure for the way a product fits into their scenario. If they have the resources and can budget for the investment in this product and if they have the kind of infrastructure that warrants the investment, definitely to go for this product. If the business or user has budget constraints, I would say there are a lot more other options. It comes down to the capabilities of the different solutions and how they satisfy user needs. On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product…
BI Cognos Expert at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Improves sales team effectiveness for an excellent value

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for IBM Cognos is reporting.

• "IBM Cognos improves the effectiveness of the sales team."
  • "In terms of what could be improved, I would say, monitoring, monitoring, monitoring. Some improvements in monitoring would be helpful. I'd like to see more monitoring of specific reports and fields. The way the auditing is now is very limited, so I'd like to see more of that - of the monitoring."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten I would give IBM Cognos a nine. I would suggest to potential customers that if they don't have experience, there is a lot of information on the web. There are wonderful video clips in YouTube. There are wonderful blogs. Before you decide on a solution, check. There might be something that's even better than what you thought initially. The abilities are so wide and amazing that a lot of times people take a solution which is not the best, because they do what they know and they don't think, "Hey, I can do something much better." Make sure you know all the options before…
Learn what your peers think about IBM Cognos. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
479,894 professionals have used our research since 2012.
FS
RPA Architect & RPA Product Owner at Francisco Sosa
Helpful algorithms, easy to create charts, and supports a wide range of file formats

What is our primary use case?

We analyze data from their marketing campaigns, and social networks in order to determine which campaigns are more effective, and which channels are producing the best results.

• "This solution allows you to input a wide range of file formats."
  • "It would be nice to offer free online training on the tool for end-users."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good idea to take a course online to learn how it works before you start. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
PP
Senior Software Engineer at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Robust, scalable and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for reporting.

• "The product is a very good reporting tool and is very flexible. It allows for the users to get a scheduled report."
  • "The solution seems to slow down the servers."

What other advice do I have?

We are customers and partners. Currently, we are also using AIOps and IBM Watson also, which is an artificial intelligence tool that is also very easy. We trust IBM and its platforms. They've optimized for monitoring very well. Their support is also excellent. I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten. So far, it's been a great solution for us. We're quite happy with its capabilities.
SA
Manager - Metrics & Analytics at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Great storyboarding and storytelling feature with an easy initial setup

• "The initial setup is quite straightforward."
  • "The AI-based features could be further enhanced by the solution."

What other advice do I have?

I'm a user, not a vendor or a reseller. We use the enterprise version of the product. In terms of BI tools, I'd advise others that this is one of the best. It was easy to use once we had the initial training that is required. The features such as storytelling, AI based sessions, are great. I would recommend it to other companies for sure. On a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at an eight.
Principal Co-founder at Enterprise BIDI Solutions
Reseller
Good reporting and analytics capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider. We come up with the business requirements for our clients, and then we provide a complete solution for catering to their specific needs. We come up with a customized BPM or a BA or another analytical solution and we offer them as a package.

• "IBM Cognos offers tools so that you can design and develop your own test queries and reporting solutions."
  • "The performance is a bottleneck and something that can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to ensure that they are clear with the business requirements. You have to define the model in the first place, so you want to design the model with all of the business hierarchies and attributes so that there will be no further re-working it, or any re-production of work in the future. This means that you have to plan your model, get a model, and then framework manage your model well in advance. Then your reporting and analytics will be very good. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Download our free IBM Cognos Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.