IBM Netezza Performance Server Overview

IBM Netezza Performance Server is the #10 ranked solution in our list of top Data Warehouse tools. It is most often compared to Oracle Exadata: IBM Netezza Performance Server vs Oracle Exadata

What is IBM Netezza Performance Server?
IBM Netezza appliances are now part of IBM PureSystems - expert integrated systems with built in expertise, integration by design and a simplified user experience. Part of the PureData family, the Netezza appliance is now known as the PureData System for Analytics. It has the same key design tenets of simplicity, speed, scalability and analytics power that was fundamental to Netezza appliances.

IBM Netezza Performance Server is also known as Netezza Performance Server, Netezza.

Download the Data Warehouse Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

IBM Netezza Performance Server Customers
Seattle Childrens Hospital, Carphone Warehouse, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Battelle, Start Today Co. Ltd., Kelley Blue Book, Trident Marketing, Elisa Corporation, Catalina Marketing, iBasis, Barnes & Noble, Qualcomm, MediaMath, Acxiom, iBasis, Foxwoods
IBM Netezza Performance Server Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

KV
Director at Priority Consulting Services
We have sub-second query performance, and users are happy with the product

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is, we use Netezza as a data warehouse and for analytics.

How has it helped my organization?

We have sub-second query performance, and users are happy with the product.

What is most valuable?

Row-secure tables, IBM Fluid Query, and others.

What needs improvement?

This is an appliance-based product with limited capability. It has all the horse-power that one can imagine and can handle all workloads.

More than five years.
OA
Senior Manager - Data Quality and Governance with 1,001-5,000 employees
Doesn't properly maintain the workload that we have

• "The performance is most important to me, and it helps our ability to make business decisions quickly."
  • "The scalability is not as expected. The capacity in the black box is not enough."

What other advice do I have?

Based on first conception, do a POC, scale up to the volumes and get the vendor to prove that it can work with their requirements. Get them to scale it up, either simulate it, make sure it can actually do what it says, rather than buying beta and then get it and then find out that it doesn't actually do everything it says it does.
Find out what your peers are saying about IBM, Oracle, Micro Focus and others in Data Warehouse. Updated: May 2021.
502,275 professionals have used our research since 2012.
AT
Database Admin. Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it primarily for analytics.

• "We are able to execute very complex queries. Over 90 percent of our query executions are one second or less. We do millions of queries everyday."
  • "Our main problem with it is concurrency. When there are too many users running Netezza at the same time, this is when we have the most complaints."
  • "We are not able to scale. The only way to scale is to get another appliance, but we have a customers who would need us to hydrate the data between the two appliances, and Netezza does not do that."

What other advice do I have?

Get the requirements and have them finalized. Then, be very specific about the requirements that your organization needs. Based upon your requirements: * Identify whether Netezza will be suitable for your requirements. * Get the sizing right.
KS
Technical Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The underlying hardware is made for performance on large amounts of data, and for analytics

What is our primary use case?

Our prime use is for warehousing and analytics.

• "The underlying hardware that IBM provides with this appliance is made for a specific purpose, to serve performance on a large amount of data, and to do analytics as well. It is faster, when you compare it to any other product."
  • "The only issue is that it's not expandable."

What other advice do I have?

My client is looking towards replacing Neteeza with one of the up and coming warehousing solutions like Presto. They don't want the in-house or on-prem cost of managing that particular appliance. When everything is available on cloud, we pay less. My client develops medical products. They wanted to concentrate on the medical part, not on how to manage their IT. So they're moving towards more and more towards the cloud to replace the on-prem solution. My advice would be to fully categorize your needs. Why you need Netezza should be a specific question, because there are so many different…
Business Intelligence Administrator at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Architecture is fixed, there is no scale-up availability at all, and the support is poor

What is our primary use case?

Neteeza is a data warehouse for customer analytics.

• "The most valuable feature would be the fact that it has been running for awhile in an appliance format."
  • "In terms of features that I would like to see, one is the ability to actually scale out an architecture. Right now, if you buy one, it's fixed. There is no scale-up availability at all."

What other advice do I have?

I rate Netezza at four out of 10. There is not too much involved to set one up from a customer perspective, but after the initial setup it is pretty awful on the customer support side of it. My advice would be, check out all options. Don't just go with big-name vendors, because that is not always going to be the right answer.
Lead Business Intelligence Analyst at a logistics company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Speed, updated ETL, revamped scheduler, mean we refresh data multiple times per day

What is our primary use case?

For now, we use that as our enterprise-wide data warehouse. Performance-wise, it's been great. The speed has been excellent. We haven't really had any hardware issues with it that I'm aware of. We've had it for heavy-use in the past six months to a year. It's been good.

• "The benefit is really because of the additional speed that we have and, truth be told, the more updated ETL processes and the revamped scheduler in general."
  • "The data governance prospect... from what I've seen, that is a really powerful tool as well, to help with data lineage and keeping track of that."

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor for a data warehouse solution are, obviously, the speed and the ability to handle large amounts of data. That's especially true from an analysis standpoint, and having it not only do the math and select statements but also do more aggregation and analysis-type queries. The speed has been excellent for us, in pulling information, as well as the batch timing, and the suite of tools that comes with it for the ETL withIBM InfoSphere. Also, the data governance prospect, as a company we haven't really delved too far into that, but from what I've…
    Data Warehouse Architect at a consultancy
    Distribution concurrency control is key for us

What is our primary use case?

We use Netezza and Teradata in our project environment where I work as an admin and data modeler.

What is most valuable?

Distribution concurrency control.

What needs improvement?

Concurrency limit needs to be increased somewhat.

More than five years.

Great stability in Netazza's Mako.

As of now, no issues with scalability. But like Teradata, we can’t add a node/SPU to the existing appliance.

I work with IBM PDA support. They are wonderful and fix issues in good time.

We used Teradata…
    Senior Consultant at a computer software company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Reports used to take 30 to 60 minutes, now run consistently in seconds or minutes

What is our primary use case?

Enterprise reporting data warehouse using Business Objects, Microstrategy and data mining using SQL. Being a data repository for a single customer view. Also contained staging tables, some of which were designed like an ODS and contained all data from the source system and was updated on a nightly basis. The applicance contained over 12 TB of data uncompressed (less than 4 TB compressed).

What other advice do I have?

Netezza is a great option for data warehousing, but give due attention to concurrency and find out how much would be the peak load the database may have to handle. Also, check whether performance is acceptable for APIs and web services. Performance may not scale for thousands of single row lookups, as the database is more suited for complex aggregated data warehousing queries.
    Senior Solution Architect at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The platform is very efficient and robust.
    Lead Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    We can query large data volumes.

What other advice do I have?

You can definitely consider this appliance if you have: * A large volume of processed data (tables) that are created on a daily basis * Data that requires daily analysis, critical for decision making, and a budget to complement it. This is one of the most stable and fastest data warehouse appliances available in the market today.
    QlikView Consultant at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
    It has improved our management information systems and reporting capabilities.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use. Make sure you select the right ETL and reporting tool. Also select the right tool for the organization to hold it in the long run. It has a compression engine and FPGA on but you should still analyze your volume of data and decide on the right model and size.
    Sr Technical Specialist at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is very fast which makes our life easier to run huge queries for analytics.

What other advice do I have?

If volume is the issue, use Netezza. Nothing is better than this product.
    IT Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It has Standard SQL, ODBC, JDBC, and OLE DB interfaces.

What other advice do I have?

It is good product if you are choosing to go for datawarehouse business intelligence.
    Data Warehouse Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The fact that the hardware and software are designed to work together is nice.

What other advice do I have?

The most difficult time I have with people is getting them to understand that Netezza is not meant for individual transactions, but for full set processing.
    Database and DataWarehouse Specialist - Oracle and Netezza at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Its ability to push down optimization through the use of FPGA to limit data at the storage layer is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Resources who have previously worked with Netezza should be asked to work on the project. If people with prior Netezza knowledge cannot be engaged then candidates who are familiar with Linux should be sent for Netezza training offered by IBM prior to engaging them to work on this platform.
    BI/BA Consultant at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    It is used in several key areas such as customer analytics, pricing, predictable analytics and forecasting, and reporting etc.
    Sr Technology Architect at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
    It reduces system administration and database administration effort.

What other advice do I have?

* Netezza is well suited for data warehousing and analytics, not for OLTP application * The key approach is to develop an uniform data distribution scheme and collocation of data partitions across related database objects. For example, if we have a large customer dimension and a large sales by customer fact, these tables will be joined very frequently. To get the best performance, both tables should be distributed on the same key, e.g. customer_id.
    Data Centre Manager at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    We like the ease of which we ported data onto it and the fact that it does not take a lot of administration.

What other advice do I have?

IBM support is very good for this product. It has very few issues and it does exactly what it says on the tin. Check for the functional limitations of the logical database e.g there are no such thing as indexes/primary key constraints where you might want to force uniqueness.
    Member of the Board of Directors at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It has integration with Linux-based ETL and data streaming technologies. ​It is not designed for transactional systems.
    Programmer Professional Markets (Manager) at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
    ​We now have a single store of critical business metrics in the investment bank.

What is most valuable?

Distributed querying Seamless concurrency Fast loading High velocity analytics

How has it helped my organization?

We now have a single store of critical business metrics in the investment bank.

What needs improvement?

The query optimization is crap, and the machine could use more alerting around bad design and bad queries.

I've been using it for four and a half years.

Releases from IBM are poorly tested, but once they work once, they’re stable – i.e., the machine only goes down immediately after an upgrade.

Scalability is fixed. It’s big, but not at all scalable.

How are customer service and

Manager Enterprise Data & Analytics Infrastructure/DBA at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
    It works well for many “campaign” queries that run for our clinical analytical area, but while some queries do run very fast, you cannot load up the box with several queries.

Valuable Features

It can run heavy CPU queries really fast, and this is valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

We have a lot of “campaign” queries that run for our clinical analytical area and this product seems to work well for them.

Room for Improvement

While some queries do run very fast, you cannot load up the box with several queries.

Use of Solution

We've used TwinFin for over four years and Striper for around one-and-a-half.

It does not scale like other databases and expect them to run at the same time.

Netezza does not scale like other databases, so it cannot run several queries at once.

It's good.

It was pretty straightforward, but we had to get several areas…
    Technology Consultant (Netezza/Big Data) at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The cost-based analysis of query by optimization, it makes query execution faster and provides enough scope to DBA to improve queries.
    Regional Support Specialist at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It has the capacity to handle terabytes of data with query response times that are very low. Setup is complex.

What other advice do I have?

It's fit for the purpose it's designed for. It's an analytical/hierarchical database, now in great demand, that can store plenty of data and return the results in no time for complex queries.
    Data Architect/Modeler with 501-1,000 employees
    It provides outstanding performance for structured data, but bitemporal support is needed.​

What is most valuable?

Performance Not complex to administer

How has it helped my organization?

It provides a key repository for risk information - suitable due to volume of data.

What needs improvement?

Bitemporal support is needed.

I've used it for three years.

We found some bugs - boundary conditions mostly.

There are no issues with scalability.

9/10 - I have always be able to reach someone at IBM with the correct answer.

Non analytic databases used to be all there was. Netezza provides outstanding…
    Solution Architect at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
    Billions of data are processed within an optimal amount of time, and it supports almost real-time analytics.

What other advice do I have?

Any potential customer who has an inclination towards large scale analytics, should consider Netezza as an option. This not only gives a faster response, but you can also save on resource cost compared to other MPP's. Netezza's maintenance cost is quite low and this will give you an edge for long term revenue growth.
    FP
    Business Unit technical Lead at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    SQL is 100% ANSI compliant, but support for interfaces has been poor.
    Senior Hadoop Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
    The cross-database writing function allows users to run commands in the block as single execution.

Valuable Features:

Cross-database writing and more UDFs. Netezza NPS 7.1 has added a feature of SET CATALOG statement inside an AUTOCOMMIT ON block which enables a user to do a cross-database writing in a stored procedure (or on a tool "Aginity") which was never done before. This also allows users to run GROOM, GENERATE STATISTICS etc. in the block as a single execution (auto commit).

Improvements to My Organization:

Simplified development process with less administration
    Senior Data Architect at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
    Netezza vs. Teradata
    Original published at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/should-i-choose-net... Two leading Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) architectures for Data Warehousing (DW) are IBM PureData System for Analytics (formerly Netezza) and Teradata. I thought talking about the similarities and differences would be useful to decision makers who may need to choose or recommend one technology over the other. A few years ago, I evaluated the viability of Netezza and Teradata (shortly before the Aster Data acquisition), to meet my company’s DW needs. Both Netezza and Teradata follow the relational database paradigm and use table joins. My recommendation was Netezza, based on the particular DW use case and Netezza’s MPP architecture, in-database analytics, low DBA maintenance and price.…
    Solution Lead at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
    MSP
    It's an easy-to-use data warehouse appliance, but it doesn't support correlated queries.

What other advice do I have?

Netezza should have enough advantages with implementation, i.e time to deployment, price, performance, and the ability to integrate with the existing environment.
    DBA at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    With this solution, there are few things to worry about.

What is most valuable?

Performance Simplicity Few things to worry about

How has it helped my organization?

Netezza technology has served us perfectly well. It is the server for our all BI data.

What needs improvement?

Our overall business intelligence has improved.

No issues encountered.

Customer Service: 8/10. Technical Support: 8/10.

No previous solution was used.

It was straightforward.