Microsoft Intune Overview

Microsoft Intune is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to VMware Workspace ONE: Microsoft Intune vs VMware Workspace ONE

What is Microsoft Intune?

Intune is a cloud-based service in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) space that helps enable your workforce to be productive while keeping your corporate data protected. With Intune, you can:

• Manage the mobile devices your workforce uses to access company data.
  • Manage the mobile apps your workforce uses.
  • Protect your company information by helping to control the way your workforce accesses and shares it.
  • Ensure devices and apps are compliant with company security requirements.

Microsoft Intune is also known as Intune.

Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Microsoft Intune Customers

Mitchells and Buzzers, Callaway

Microsoft Intune Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Microsoft Intune pricing:
  • "The pricing for Microsoft Intune is reasonable. Our clients are satisfied."
  • "Licensing depends on how you are providing support to your enterprise, whether it's device-based or user-based."
  • "The price of Intune is included with the license for Office 365, so we don't have to pay anything extra for it."
  • "We work with the subscription rather than a server license. I think it's economical this way because we don't have to have a server license for that, and I think that works in our favor."
  • "For Microsoft 365 E5 clients, cost is not an issue as this product is one of the benefits."

Microsoft Intune Reviews

reviewer1420461
Associate Architect-Information Security at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Sep 30, 2020
Unified endpoint management that has the flexibility of stand-alone components

What is our primary use case?

We are VMware and Microsoft partners, so we offer services around their products. We are using Intune internally but we are leveraging it for our customers as well. That is a different story. One part of Intune is within our company, but we are also providing services around Intune and Workspace One for our customers. For us, Intune is on the public cloud. For our clients, it depends on the requirements and it varies from customer to customer. Some clients' requirements are deployed in private cloud mode or the hybrid setup. It depends. Requirements differ from industry to industry. If a… more »

• "This product offers an alternative solution to other UEM (Unified Endpoint Management) solutions."
  • "Maturity makes it a stable product."
  • "The reporting needs to be a bit more interactive."

What other advice do I have?

If someone is looking to have a more integrated result, they are looking for many other things like EDR (Enhanced Data Detection and Response). It is probably better to go with Workspace One because they have that under one banner. Obviously, if there is something under one banner, the integrations are simple, they are seamless, and they complement each other. I do not think I will have a good answer for what advice to give because technically I have not used Intune myself for some time now. I have a team that works under me for this. I am at an architect-level position now. My perspective…
reviewer1468257
System Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Dec 16, 2020
Great patching for Windows, but not for MacOS

What is our primary use case?

We use Microsoft Intune for application deployment and for some of their security policies and end-devices policies. We also use it for patching. Patches for Windows 10 devices and MacOs, we're still figuring out what to do because we don't have many options on Intune for Mac operating systems. Patching and looking for OS deployment as well. Operating system deployment. Within our organization, there are roughly 150 users, using this solution. We use Microsoft Intune on a daily basis. What Microsoft does, is it releases patches every month. The device hash reports to Microsoft Azure Intune. If… more »

• "Application deployment and keeping the devices secure no matter where they are, by having this cloud solution — that has been great."
  • "There needs to be more support for Mac operating systems."

What other advice do I have?

I would absolutely recommend Microsoft Intune. Currently, I would definitely recommend any cloud solution. Most organizations were actually using on-prem solutions for managing their enterprise devices. Now, since everything is remote, people are confused. How can they manage their devices the same as they were before this pandemic? If they find Intune very pricey, they can go with another cloud solution. Intune it's very user-friendly. You just have a screen and console and you can just go in and start deploying anything. All you need are the user guides, which are fully-available with…
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,719 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Simon Minshall
CEO & Founder at Marco Capital Holdings
Nov 10, 2020
Stable with great integration into Microsoft 365 but needs better UI

What is our primary use case?

Typically, for customers that tend to come from a transportation logistics background, it's essentially free or the TCO is literally non-existent. It's a good fit for our resume offerings. Anywhere between 50 to 200 users is a typical use case that we see, where they're leveraging the product for low subscription costs.

• "I would say the biggest benefit is the single-pane view. There's no jumping around multiple UI's to do your overall management."
  • "There's quite a lot of development that they can do within their Intune dashboard. I think there are too many lines hyperlinked to move you around. Others, in contrast, give you a simple dashboard and an intuitive administrative walkthrough."

What other advice do I have?

I'm typically an Azure consultant. Therefore, anything on the Azure platform now obviously includes Intune from an EMM perspective. We use a multitude of versions. I can't tell the specific numbers. We use many as we have to constantly compare against different customer environments. We have test labs that have multi-versions as well. Predominantly, our deployment models are on the cloud. There's literally no call for on-premise at all, apart from network connectors. I would advise users to consider the solution on a use case by use case. I personally work in a Samsung Android environment and…
Kushal Goswami
Engineering Specialist at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Aug 21, 2020
Helpful autopilot feature saves us time but the reporting needs to be improved

What is our primary use case?

Intune is a cloud-based solution for MDM and endpoint management.

• "The most important thing for me is the autopilot feature."
  • "I would like to see the ability to deploy custom packages as a Windows 64-bit package, as opposed to the Windows 32-bit, which is the only one available now."

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this product depends on your environment, requirements, and use cases. If you have a reporting-extensive company, for example, then you may need to look for other products. Similarly, if you are a multi-hierarchy organization with a presence around the globe, then Intune may disappoint you. Given all of the factors and things to consider, including features and cost, I would say that Intune has a slight edge over competing products. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Douglas Rodrigues
Senior Information Security Analyst at PicPay
Nov 18, 2020
Great for our update needs, operating system version updates, and security policy enforcement

What is our primary use case?

I'm a senior information security analyst and a customer of Intune.

• "Great for software update needs, operating system version updates, and security policy enforcement."
  • "Some enrollment features could be improved."

What other advice do I have?

If you have a complete Windows workstation environment, Intune is fine. But if you have a mixed environment like I do, running Windows and Mac, Jamf Pro is the best tool to manage an Apple environment. The reason we chose Jamf is because it integrates to Intune. In a single panel you can have all the inventory you need, either from Mac computers or Windows computers, because they send the information to the Intune platform. This was the main reason we chose Jamf. I would rate this solution a nine out of 10.
Sonia Nijjar
System Engineer II at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Jan 6, 2021
A scalable solution to easily lockdown applications on mobile devices

What is our primary use case?

I use Microsoft Intune to manage iPhone devices that we currently deploy to the end-users, and I manage all that. Right now, we're running close to about 60 devices. But eventually, what we want to do is go ahead and enroll the Windows platform on that as well because there's only one license per user that can deploy up to five devices. That is going to be my next migration roadmap. We're going to be managing laptops through it as well. So it would be Windows 10 platform along with the iPhones.

• "I like how Microsoft Intune lets me lock down the email profile and make it accessible only on certain devices."
  • "I'm still playing around with it and haven't had any issues with the product yet, but support can definitely be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say that you need to work with Apple Business Manager first. If you don't set up that account first, you will run into some issues, especially if you're doing a managed profiles on it. Just make sure you do your homework before you get started because there are a lot of prerequisites. If you miss them and you don't do it, then you run into issues, and then you're literally recreating the same work you've already done. On a scale from one to ten, I would give Microsoft Intune an eight.
DavidTaylor
Desktop Systems Architect at a media company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Sep 18, 2020
Good dashboards, fair pricing, and great support

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for remote workforce systems that are not connected to the VPN, to flexibility deploy software, and operate system upgrades and policies, as well as pushing scripts to the devices. Pretty much just about anything that we can do in Intune, we're going to be doing. If we're not doing it already, we will be doing it.

• "The dashboards, the security, and the customization capabilities work very well for us."
  • "It would be helpful if there was proactive remediation."

What other advice do I have?

Our company does not have a business relationship with the vendor. We're simply customers. We're using the very latest version of the solution. We're using it with Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager, and we're running a 2006 build. With Intune, since it's the SaaS model, it's whatever version is available in the cloud. My advice to other organizations considering the solution would be to be patient. Some of the reporting, for example, takes up to 24 hours before it is actually displayed in the console, depending on a number of endpoints you're trying to manage. The other recommendation…
reviewer1387941
Group IT Executive at a manufacturing company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Aug 2, 2020
Hopes of using this product as a remote access solution are stalled because of roll out issues

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we are rolling the product out because we want to be able to have remote access and control over our desktops and laptops from external locations.

• "If the product works, remote access will be a benefit. To this point we have not had reason to have confidence in achieving that access."
  • "The difficulty of the the roll out is surprisingly difficult considering this product is supposed to be an integrated part of the 365 suite."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best. I would rate Microsoft Intune as about a six. I am not totally impressed with the complexity of the rollout.
See 5 more Microsoft Intune Reviews