Microsoft Intune Overview

Microsoft Intune is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) tools. It is most often compared to VMware Workspace ONE: Microsoft Intune vs VMware Workspace ONE

What is Microsoft Intune?

Intune is a cloud-based service in the enterprise mobility management (EMM) space that helps enable your workforce to be productive while keeping your corporate data protected. With Intune, you can:

• Manage the mobile devices your workforce uses to access company data.
  • Manage the mobile apps your workforce uses.
  • Protect your company information by helping to control the way your workforce accesses and shares it.
  • Ensure devices and apps are compliant with company security requirements.

Microsoft Intune is also known as Intune, MS Intune, MS Intune, MS Intune.

Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide

Download the Microsoft Intune Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

Microsoft Intune Customers

Mitchells and Buzzers, Callaway

Microsoft Intune Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

AS
Sr. Microsoft Solution Architect at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Popular
It helps restrict certain access to mobile devices. But, it is Samsung knox centric.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing emails until their devices comply.

• "It helps implement conditional access policies to restrict mobile users from accessing potentially dangerous emails."
  • "Intune should be much more granular in terms of supporting more Android cellular devices."

What other advice do I have?

From my experience if the requirement is to lock down the Android devices through Intune, then I should advise to look at the different policies that are available for Intune before doing the implementation. Because, if the policies do not meet the requirements of the organization to lock down the devices or to apply the policies on the devices, then it does not make any sense. So, for Android devices in particular, if you are implementing Intune then you should first look at the policies that are available in Intunes and then try to evaluate and do proof of concept.
Senior IT Field Support Specialist at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case for this solution is for MDM. We use it to manage our devices and phones. We want to make sure that data is not stolen from the devices of our staff. Staff members often bring their own devices to work, and we need to manage that.

• "The aspects I find most valuable are the managing the data and applications. I can also restrict the users to install any applications. I can also wipe the data if the phone was missplaced or stolen. These are the basics for me."
  • "I think there should be a better tracking of the cell phones used on the Intune."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise other colleagues to use Microsoft Intune.
Learn what your peers think about Microsoft Intune. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,499 professionals have used our research since 2012.
NB
Senior Technical Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
We have a BYOD policy at our company, and this solution helps us manage devices. It needs help with reporting.

What is our primary use case?

We have several different use cases. We have a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy for corporate owned devices, and managing those devices is our responsibility.

• "It is a very helpful solution."
  • "We have a BYOD policy, and this solution helps us manage our devices."
  • "I think that there is room for improvement with the reporting. If this is done, it will be a better product."

What other advice do I have?

We received Intune with a bundle of Microsoft products.
AN
User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Reseller
We use this primarily for security on our devices. It is cost effective.

What is our primary use case?

We use this primarily for security on our devices. We use this product because it came with the bundle from Microsoft.

• "It is a helpful tool to manage BYOD policies."
  • "There are a few security features that are not available in Microsoft Intune, when compared to other products."
DM
Practice Head - Enterprise Mobility, Technology Shared Services at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is really easy to use and the storage solutions are a nice feature.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is using Microsoft Intune MAM, which is the mobile application management. We are using basically it for application management type needs.

• "In terms of technical support, you will get an immediate response."
  • "It's really easy to access."
  • "There are a couple of issues with stability."
SR
Cloud Solution Specialist at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Reseller
Integrates with the entire Microsoft ecosystem

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is managing mobile devices and applications. It really answers the question of managing BYOD end-point devices.

• "...Intune itself integrates with that entire Microsoft ecosystem. As an individual product itself, it's okay. It holds up. But when you start saying "I've bought this as part of a wider solution, as a company we are going Microsoft throughout," then it makes more sense to have Microsoft Intune... so you have that single dashboard."
  • "I would like to see micro VPN. I like the way that some of the other providers have done something similar where, as you open that app on an end-point device, it creates a micro VPN straight into your device, which is quite a nice little feature. Also, Microsoft Intune relies heavily on its fellow products in the suite. It would be nice if Microsoft Intune could stand on its own two feet."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would hinge on what your strategy is. It comes down to: If you're using Citrix then Citrix ZenMobile makes more sense. But if you've got a Microsoft strategy and you're looking at Microsoft security and you're looking at buying into the Microsoft cloud strategy, then Windows Intune is a very viable solution. For me, the most important criteria when selecting a vendor depend on what is it I'm trying to achieve. I always want to check: * where it ranks in industry reviews * for the features that I'm looking for * pricing. For example, I may have a product that's brilliant and is…
Systems Consultant with 11-50 employees
We can better avoid information leaks

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the inventory of phones and deployment of Office 365. It is used for conditional access.

How has it helped my organization?

We can better avoid information leaks.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access: This feature helps me control uncontrolled access.

What needs improvement?

It needs incorporation of Knox, ZeroTouch, etc.

Mobile Devices Administrator at NBB
User
It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes, though it has remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What is our primary use case?

We use it for the following: MDM EMM Cloud app protection.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improve our organization through the remote management of non-domain joined devices.

What needs improvement?

It needs certificate provisioning for S/MIME purposes.

More than five years.
System Consultant with 51-200 employees
Cloud Administration Is the Most Valuable Option

What is our primary use case?

Using Mobile Application Management for delivery apps to our users on a secure way to Windows and Apple devices.

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to deliver applications fast to our mobile workloads so that users can make use of it instantly.

What is most valuable?

Cloud administration is the most valuable option. No need to install any Management applications.

What needs improvement?

Management of Linux devices from Microsoft Intune would be great. Then we can any device and not only Windows and Apple.

IT Manager, Applications at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User
Conditional access has helped us enforce our security policies in the mobile space, however it lags behind competitors in MAM capabilities

What is our primary use case?

Mobile Device Management for all 3M corporately owned mobile devices and BYOD iOS devices. Mobile Application Management for all 3M Mobile Applications, internal and external.

How has it helped my organization?

Much easier installation than previous MDM solutions at 3M, including Good For Enterprise and SAP Afaria.

What is most valuable?

Conditional access has helped 3M tailor and enforce our security policies in the mobile space.

What needs improvement?

Microsoft Intune lags market leaders, such as Apperian, in its MAM capabilities. Intune lags all of its competitors in terms of report generation.

Infrastructure Architect at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Business Desktop Workspace in a serverless environment

What is our primary use case?

Serverless Win10 with App deployment, Azure Active Directory and remote support. Can now co-manage devices with both Intune and Configuration Manager!

• "The ability to (somewhat) manage full Windows 10 computers including EXE-based or MSI-based application deployments using Azure Active Directory as Identity."
  • "Additional application deployment options e.g. MSI deployment with more complex parameters or additional side-by-side files, and non-MSI deployment options."

What other advice do I have?

Allow sufficient time to pilot and test. With the ability to now co-manage computers with BOTH InTune and System Centre Configuration Manager, you can pilot-test Intune without compromising on your proven systems management using ConfigMgr.
Deputy Manager of Information Technology at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees
The most valuable feature is the integration with Office 365 and Azure.

What other advice do I have?

If they have Office 365 or Azure, Intune is by far the best choice.