SonicWall TZ Overview
What is SonicWall TZ?The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.
SonicWall TZ is also known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.
SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide
Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021
SonicWall TZ CustomersAeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video
Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
- Review Length
Showingreviews based on the current filters.
Vice President & Chief Information Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
Apr 23, 2019
A lapse in technical support has me looking for a new solution
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case for this product is for remote access to smart-building solutions that we implement.
Pros and Cons
- "I have found this solution to be easier to use when compared to other products, such as those offered by Cisco."
- "The lack of support is having me look into other solutions to replace SonicWALL."
What other advice do I have?Currently, SonicWall is our primary solution. To me, it can no longer be the primary because if I need support then I may not get it. With other products, it is quite simple. For any new projects that I'll be working on, I will not be using SonicWall. This is simply a business decision that is based on my experience. I am responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and moving forward with the customer. If I am not happy then I cannot implement the solution because it will not help me in the future. To be honest, when it comes to integration I would rate this product a nine out of…
Technologist at Digifabshop (Hudson, NY)
Apr 23, 2019
Algorithm detects and deals with any kind of malware that comes into our network
What is our primary use case?Our primary use case for this solution is to protect our network.
Pros and Cons
- "I have found the stability of this product to be excellent."
- "An additional feature that I would like to see is reporting that includes metrics to give me more information about the number of viruses that it has actually detected and interrupted."
What other advice do I have?My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to take advantage of their technical support. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
SME, IT Consultant & Founder with 11-50 employees
Jan 16, 2019
Has the best ease of use I've encountered in my limited experience
What is our primary use case?This was for a small business with roughly twelve 5x8 employee users. This is not a healthcare client but they do value their security.
President with 11-50 employees
Aug 12, 2018
Provides the cost-effective level of sophistication we need in firewall protection
What is our primary use case?Firewall protection from the internet.
Pros and Cons
- "I would like them to make the interface a little bit easier to use so you can find out where in the heck you're going instead of having to go to 15 different places to get something installed."
What other advice do I have?Important criteria, when selecting a vendor, are that the product has * to be one that my small clients can afford * the capability of doing what needs to be done * good quality and good technical support
IT Supervisor at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 30, 2018
It is very stable with no issues. The firewall has been up for the past 35 days non-stop.
What is our primary use case?It is a multi-setting tool. We have about 50 users at any point in time. So far, we haven't had any problems.
Pros and Cons
- "We use the content filter quite a lot because it's an office setting. During working hours, we like to censor the sites users can visit so it increases productivity. Therefore, the content filter has been good for us."
- "It is very stable with no issues. The firewall's been up for the past 35 days non-stop. It's performed great. It has performed as it should perform."
- "It would be good if Analyzer would be part of the stock license, so even if a layperson is getting the device, he or she doesn't forgets about ordering the Analyzer because it's already there."
Vice President with 11-50 employees
Jun 6, 2018
Provides protection with ease of use and flexibility
What is our primary use case?It is used as firewalls are normally used and performance has been outstanding. We've been very happy with it.
Pros and Cons
- "The most valuable feature is the protection available, and then ease of use and flexibility."
- "The market seems to be going to a cloud-supported, new generation of firewall products. I think that's probably going to be important to us, the next time around."
What other advice do I have?I would say the most important criterion, when selecting a vendor, is probably the technology utilized. The one we've got now is five years old. The next generation with the cloud-based signature and operation... I know SonicWall has what they call Capture, which is advanced threat protection type stuff. I think that is probably what we're going to be looking at next. There are certainly a lot of options out there, and there are a lot of good options. I would say, stick with a name brand, whether it's SonicWall, or Check Point, or Palo Alto, or Cisco - any of those. You need to stick with a…
Jul 26, 2017
Enables us to centralize our servers so they can provide applications to different locations and users.
What other advice do I have?Shop around and make sure you need this level of security. Have lots of time to get to know this device because the rewards are plenty.
Mar 29, 2017
Review about Dell SonicWALL TZ
What other advice do I have?Sonic Wall OS is very easy to use but still has all the options and features you need to implement your security.
Network Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Dec 20, 2016
Easy to configure.
What is most valuable?Easy to configure. Good for any organization.
How has it helped my organization?Always saves time for any implementation. IT guys never have lots of time for R&D in some live box.
What needs improvement?Content filtering, Load balancing. Bandwidth management.
For how long have I used the solution?5 years.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?Never.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?Once.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?No issues.
How are customer service and technical support?Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 9/10
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?Technical support and it wasn't fit for our organization.
How was the initial setup?…
Apr 28, 2016
The devices are not as good as others, but the price and business model are attractive.
What other advice do I have?Consider Sophos solution or maybe Fortinet if you don't need the Sophos extra features.
Network Consulting Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
Jul 26, 2015
Its easier to deploy and configure than other options, but the GUI configurations and menus are not intuitive.
What is most valuable?The affordability.
How has it helped my organization?It's provided security and a VPN connection.
What needs improvement?GUI configurations and menus are not intuitive, thus making it difficult to identify dependent configurations completion.
For how long have I used the solution?I've used it for two years.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?In most cases no issues, except a few times when the External Interface would not take a public dynamic IP address.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?There were some issues, when the firewall would work for six months straight, and then cause VPN slowness, which was resolved right after a reboot. Not many companies allow themselves to have such downtime.
What do I…
Jun 3, 2015
It's straightforward to setup but reporting needs to be improved.
What is most valuable?All feautures related to deep packet inspection (IPS, application control, anti-malware, anti-spyware) Single Sign On Web content filter VPN
How has it helped my organization?We sell the product, and we have a lot of business for it, and our customers are happy with the solution.
What needs improvement?Advance malware analysis (sandbox) Reporting
For how long have I used the solution?I've been using the NSA, E-Class and Supermassive models over the last 12 years.
What was my experience with deployment of the solution?If it's planned correctly, there will be no problems.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?Sometimes there are issues.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?No issues encountered.
Professioan Services Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
Apr 29, 2015
You will be easily impressed with the performance and features available but they doesn't offer virtual UTM models.
What other advice do I have?Dell SonicWALL UTM is strong in the UTM space with great support. They continue to innovate and deliver a solid UTM product with high throughput speed. Added to this, Dell partners are pleased with their SonicWALL partnership as well as the products features and excellent support.
Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Jan 26, 2015
It's simple to deploy which means you can quickly & effectively have a secure network but the reporting tool needs work
What other advice do I have?Just map out the connection requirements.
Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.
- Which is the best network firewall for a small retailer?
- When evaluating Firewalls, what aspect do you think is the most important to look for?
- What is the best way to prevent DoppelPaymer Ransomware?
- Can you recommend a solution to replace Cyberoam 200ing Firewall?
- Best Firewall to create VPN for 250 plus users currently working from home?
- Which lesser known firewall product has the best chance at unseating the market leaders?
- Does Fortinet FortiGate have AI capabilities?
- What are the threats associated with using ‘bogus’ cybersecurity tools?
- Comparing network security vendors and devices
- When should companies use SSL Inspection?