SonicWall TZ Overview

SonicWall TZ is the #11 ranked solution in our list of best firewalls. It is most often compared to Fortinet FortiGate: SonicWall TZ vs Fortinet FortiGate

What is SonicWall TZ?
The secure, sophisticated SonicWALL TZ is widely deployed at small businesses, retail, government, remote sites and branch offices. It combines high-performance intrusion prevention, malware blocking, content/URL filtering and application control.

SonicWall TZ is also known as Dell SonicWALL TZ.

SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide

Download the SonicWall TZ Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: May 2021

SonicWall TZ Customers
AeroM_xico Delta TechOps, Unimat
SonicWall TZ Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

SH
Vice President & Chief Information Officer at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
A lapse in technical support has me looking for a new solution

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this product is for remote access to smart-building solutions that we implement.

• "I have found this solution to be easier to use when compared to other products, such as those offered by Cisco."
  • "The lack of support is having me look into other solutions to replace SonicWALL."

What other advice do I have?

Currently, SonicWall is our primary solution. To me, it can no longer be the primary because if I need support then I may not get it. With other products, it is quite simple. For any new projects that I'll be working on, I will not be using SonicWall. This is simply a business decision that is based on my experience. I am responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, and moving forward with the customer. If I am not happy then I cannot implement the solution because it will not help me in the future. To be honest, when it comes to integration I would rate this product a nine out of…
Technologist at Digifabshop (Hudson, NY)
Algorithm detects and deals with any kind of malware that comes into our network

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for this solution is to protect our network.

• "I have found the stability of this product to be excellent."
  • "An additional feature that I would like to see is reporting that includes metrics to give me more information about the number of viruses that it has actually detected and interrupted."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to others who are implementing this solution is to take advantage of their technical support. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Learn what your peers think about SonicWall TZ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
MC
SME, IT Consultant & Founder with 11-50 employees
Has the best ease of use I've encountered in my limited experience

What is our primary use case?

This was for a small business with roughly twelve 5x8 employee users. This is not a healthcare client but they do value their security.
President with 11-50 employees
Provides the cost-effective level of sophistication we need in firewall protection

What is our primary use case?

Firewall protection from the internet.

• "I would like them to make the interface a little bit easier to use so you can find out where in the heck you're going instead of having to go to 15 different places to get something installed."

What other advice do I have?

Important criteria, when selecting a vendor, are that the product has * to be one that my small clients can afford * the capability of doing what needs to be done * good quality and good technical support
    LQ
    IT Supervisor at a construction company with 501-1,000 employees
    It is very stable with no issues. The firewall has been up for the past 35 days non-stop.

What is our primary use case?

It is a multi-setting tool. We have about 50 users at any point in time. So far, we haven't had any problems.

• "We use the content filter quite a lot because it's an office setting. During working hours, we like to censor the sites users can visit so it increases productivity. Therefore, the content filter has been good for us."
    • "It is very stable with no issues. The firewall's been up for the past 35 days non-stop. It's performed great. It has performed as it should perform."
    • "It would be good if Analyzer would be part of the stock license, so even if a layperson is getting the device, he or she doesn't forgets about ordering the Analyzer because it's already there."
    Vice President with 11-50 employees
    User
    Provides protection with ease of use and flexibility

What is our primary use case?

It is used as firewalls are normally used and performance has been outstanding. We've been very happy with it.

• "The most valuable feature is the protection available, and then ease of use and flexibility."
    • "The market seems to be going to a cloud-supported, new generation of firewall products. I think that's probably going to be important to us, the next time around."

What other advice do I have?

I would say the most important criterion, when selecting a vendor, is probably the technology utilized. The one we've got now is five years old. The next generation with the cloud-based signature and operation... I know SonicWall has what they call Capture, which is advanced threat protection type stuff. I think that is probably what we're going to be looking at next. There are certainly a lot of options out there, and there are a lot of good options. I would say, stick with a name brand, whether it's SonicWall, or Check Point, or Palo Alto, or Cisco - any of those. You need to stick with a…
    DO
    IT Manager
    User
    Enables us to centralize our servers so they can provide applications to different locations and users.

What other advice do I have?

Shop around and make sure you need this level of security. Have lots of time to get to know this device because the rewards are plenty.
    Network Manager / Senior Network Engineer at Warnock, Tanner & Associates
    Review about Dell SonicWALL TZ

What other advice do I have?

Sonic Wall OS is very easy to use but still has all the options and features you need to implement your security.
    Network Admin at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    Easy to configure.

What is most valuable?

Easy to configure. Good for any organization.

How has it helped my organization?

Always saves time for any implementation. IT guys never have lots of time for R&D in some live box.

What needs improvement?

Content filtering, Load balancing. Bandwidth management.

5 years.

Never.

Once.

No issues.

Customer Service: 7/10 Technical Support: 9/10

Technical support and it wasn't fit for our organization.

Co Owner and Managing Director at R3INVENTATE GROUP sprl at R3 CyberSecurity
    The devices are not as good as others, but the price and business model are attractive.

What other advice do I have?

Consider Sophos solution or maybe Fortinet if you don't need the Sophos extra features.
    Network Consulting Engineer with 501-1,000 employees
    MSP
    Its easier to deploy and configure than other options, but the GUI configurations and menus are not intuitive.

What is most valuable?

The affordability.

How has it helped my organization?

It's provided security and a VPN connection.

What needs improvement?

GUI configurations and menus are not intuitive, thus making it difficult to identify dependent configurations completion.

I've used it for two years.

In most cases no issues, except a few times when the External Interface would not take a public dynamic IP address.

There were some issues, when the firewall would work for six months straight, and then cause VPN slowness, which was resolved right after a reboot. Not many companies allow themselves to have such downtime.

What do I

Director of Pre-sales, training and development. with 11-50 employees
    It's straightforward to setup but reporting needs to be improved.

What is most valuable?

All feautures related to deep packet inspection (IPS, application control, anti-malware, anti-spyware) Single Sign On Web content filter VPN

How has it helped my organization?

We sell the product, and we have a lot of business for it, and our customers are happy with the solution.

What needs improvement?

Advance malware analysis (sandbox) Reporting

I've been using the NSA, E-Class and Supermassive models over the last 12 years.

If it's planned correctly, there will be no problems.

Sometimes there are issues.

No issues encountered.

How are

HF
    Professioan Services Engineer at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
    You will be easily impressed with the performance and features available but they doesn't offer virtual UTM models.

What other advice do I have?

Dell SonicWALL UTM is strong in the UTM space with great support. They continue to innovate and deliver a solid UTM product with high throughput speed. Added to this, Dell partners are pleased with their SonicWALL partnership as well as the products features and excellent support.
    Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
    It's simple to deploy which means you can quickly & effectively have a secure network but the reporting tool needs work

What other advice do I have?

Just map out the connection requirements.
    Product Categories
    Firewalls
    Download our free SonicWall TZ Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.