SSIS OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

SSIS is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Informatica PowerCenter: SSIS vs Informatica PowerCenter

What is SSIS?
SSIS is a package is an organized collection of connections, control flow elements, data flow elements, event handlers, variables, parameters, and configurations, that you assemble using either the graphical design tools that SQL Server Integration Services provides, or build programmatically. You then save the completed package to SQL Server, the SSIS Package Store, or the file system, or you can deploy the ssISnoversion project to the SSIS server. The package is the unit of work that is retrieved, executed, and saved.

SSIS is also known as SQL Server Integration Services.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

SSIS Customers
PKP Energetyka, UniCredit Bank, Mostar, waldwasser, Ashok leyland, Florida Atlantic University, Stadt Frankfurt am Main
SSIS Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about SSIS pricing:
  • "t's incredibly cost effective, easy to learn the basics quickly (although like all ETL tools requires the traditional learning curve to get good at) and has an immense user base."
  • "Based on my experience and understanding, Talend comes out to be a little bit expensive as compared to SSIS. The average cost of having Talend with Talend Management Console is around 72K per region, which is much higher than SSIS. SSIS works very well with Microsoft technologies, and if you have Microsoft technologies, it is not really expensive to have SSIS. If you have SQL Server, SSIS is free."
  • "It would be beneficial if the solution had a less costly cloud offering."
  • "We have an enterprise license for this solution."

GaryM
Data Architect at World Vision
Top 5Popular
SSIS 2016 - The good, the bad, and the ugly
Sql Server Integration Services (SSIS) 2016 Review Summary SSIS 2016 - the Good the Bad, and the Ugly SSIS is a unique ETL tool for a number of reasons. Most shops already own it but may treat it as a free utility rather than as an enterprise ETL tool.  Which is ironic given it is superior to many of the supposed enterprise-class tools in a number of areas. The lack of respect in our industry is likely due to immature beginnings in its former "DTS" days and because it comes bundled "free" with Sql Server.  But don't let that fool you into thinking it can't compete with the expensive ETL tools. I've used many ETL tools over the years and I'll take SSIS over any of them. I've now used SSIS exclusively for close to a decade and have no regrets.  SSIS is extremely flexible,…
Ismail Lahbabi
Data Engineer at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Good support, user-friendly, and easy to integrate with Microsoft tools, but needs a better console, more features, and better capability to handle a large volume of data

What is our primary use case?

We are using it in our company and for our clients. I have experience in working with the whole data cycle, which includes data collection, transformation, and visualization. I have worked with the end-to-end process, and I have handled data integration, analysis, and visualization. I specialize in Microsoft tools, and I have used SSIS for data integration and Power BI for data visualization. I have also worked with Tableau for data visualization and Talend for data integration.

• "The most valuable thing is that it is easy to connect with Microsoft tools. In Europe, particularly in France, a lot of companies use Excel, SQL Server, and other Microsoft tools, and it is easier to connect SSIS with Microsoft tools than other products."
  • "It is also easy to learn and user-friendly. Microsoft is also good in terms of technical support. They have built a large community all over the world."
  • "When I compare Talend and SSIS, Talend provides more features. With Talend, we can handle a large volume of data. Talend is usually used to treat a large volume of data, which makes it better than SSIS on the data side. Talend also has a very good Talend Management Console to schedule the jobs and do other things. It can also be easily connected to version control tools such as GitHub or SVN. The last time I used SSIS, it was connected through TSS for the Windows Console version. I am not sure it has been improved or not. If it is not improved, Microsoft should improve it. They should change the product to provide another console."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate SSIS a six out of ten. I prefer Talend over SSIS.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Informatica, Oracle and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Muhammad Arif Javed
Senior Manager Software Development at Techlogix
While you can build your own components, that is not straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We have used SSIS in many ways. Primarily, it has been used for building ETLs for populating data warehouse and staging areas. We have developed a number of data marts that were populated. We build data migration packages, which have been reused a number of times with minimal configurations. Additionally, we build complex data integrations solutions and data hand-offs between different applications. We have even used it for creating and parsing SWIFT messages for data integration purposes. We also used it for email triggers.

• "The debugging capabilities are great, particularly during data flow execution. You can look into the data and see what's going on in the pipeline."
  • "It should have other programming languages supported as well from a scripting perspective. Currently, only C# and VB.NET are supported, which limits it to .NET. It should have Java support as well."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, we remained in a good position and in control while using SSIS. We didn't face any challenges.
ChitraGovindasamy
BI Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Variety of transformations, good SQL integration, and allows C# scripting

• "The script component is very powerful, things that you cannot normally do, is feasible through C#."
  • "The solution could improve on integrating with other types of data sources."

What other advice do I have?

Customers have moved on pass SSIS and use Azure Data Factory, Databricks or something similar. We have a few of our customers looking to moving on to Informatica or Talent. This is how I was led to itcentralstation.com, to learn more about SSIS and how it was compared to Informatica. I have never had a situation where a particular transformation was not possible in SSIS. We have always been able to meet the demands of our need with SSIS. I rate SSIS an eight out of ten.
AL
Teaching Professional at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Straightforward to set up, easy to operated with a user-friendly interface

What is our primary use case?

We are a software development company and implement solutions like SQL Server SSIS for our clients. We do not use this product ourselves in the company but have experience with it because our client asked for it. Our clients use it to transform data and generate reports. The use cases are generally simple, and not advanced or complex.

What is most valuable?

The interface is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

It runs a little bit slowly, although this may be because of our laptops. I would like to see better integration with Power BI.

The stability is okay. It is easy to support.

There are approximately 10 users. At this…
MB
Project Lead Performance Engineer & Automation at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
Stable, good technical support, and scalable

What is our primary use case?

We are using SSIS for all of our relational database management systems (RDBMS) data.

What needs improvement?

The solution could improve by having quicker release updates.

I have been using SSIS for approximately

The solution is stable.

The solution is scalable. With virtualization enabled we are able to scale horizontally. We have approximately 2,000 users using this solution in our company.

The technical support is very good.

We have previously used Oracle.

What about the

Bob Amy
Sr. Architect - Data warehousing & BI at Molina Healthcare, Inc.
Fast insert, fuzzy logic matching, and free for developers to learn on

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to ingest data to a data lake that is built on SQL Server.

• "The most valuable features of this solution are the fast insert and fuzzy logic matching."
  • "Generic processes should be used instead of custom code for each table."
Product Categories
Data Integration Tools
Download our free Data Integration Tools Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Informatica, Oracle, and more!