VMware vSAN Overview

VMware vSAN is the #3 ranked solution in our list of HCI Software. It is most often compared to Nutanix Acropolis AOS: VMware vSAN vs Nutanix Acropolis AOS

What is VMware vSAN?

VMware vSAN is the industry-leading software powering Hyper-Converged Infrastructure solutions.

What vSAN Does

1. Enables you to evolve without risk. Seamlessly extend virtualization to storage with an integrated hyper-converged solution that simply works with your overall VMware environment and reduces the risk in digital transformation by using existing tools, skillsets and solutions.
  2. Lowers total cost of ownership by 50% or more with capital and operational savings. Reduce storage CapEx, decrease operational costs, manage the day-to-day operations of compute and storage infrastructure, and accelerate responsiveness to traditionally time-consuming tasks.
  3. vSAN helps customers scale to tomorrow. Prepare for tomorrow's dynamic business in the multi-cloud era with a solution designed to utilize the latest storage and server technologies and ready to support a wide range of applications, from current business critical applications to next-gen applications using containers.

VMware vSAN is also known as vSAN.

VMware vSAN Buyer's Guide

Download the VMware vSAN Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

VMware vSAN Customers

Read Some Case Studies

At Home

Cloud Carib

CINgroup

Discovery

Check out the Rest of our Customer Stories Here

VMware vSAN Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

HB
Principal Security Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
Top Tier HCI with Great Import Management Functionalities

What is our primary use case?

We deliver the only end-to-end enterprise technology platform exclusively designed for quick service and food service communities. Our primary use case for this solution is for customer use in our internal labs. As partners with the vendor VMware vSAN, we leverage their tech to build customer-specific simulated environments, to provide unique, controlled individual environments to gain insightful perspectives and capture helpful data.

• "As a function of our core business, it's a sought after tool that helps us provide analytical support across a wide spectrum of client needs. It's allowed us to test out in our connected restaurant - "TheWorks" - a fully-functional restaurant experience center that allows our clients to discover the value of our connected solutions firsthand. We deploy vSAN in this customer-like environment within a hyperconvergent infrastruction (HCI) to give our clients a better understanding and help optimize data and the end-users' experience."
  • "I would like to see the availability of more template based VMware systems. Combined with the ability to check and measure multiple and converging data segments. Another issue I've seen is that the tool seems to be slow when first starting up."

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest that anyone looking to deploy this solution do their due diligence and try out other competitive products first, like Nutanix. I've used Nutanix in the past. I found it to be a more agile tool compared to VMware. VMware has only just recently started offering this HCI solution. If I was to rate vSAN from one to ten, 10 being best, I would give it an 8. Not a ten primarily because I haven't tested some aspects of the arrays at this point.
User
Its ease of use and implementation are valuable features

What is our primary use case?

It is used as a remote/branch office solution for a new site that we acquired.

How has it helped my organization?

It consolidated our workload and brought the cost down over a long.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use and implementation.

What needs improvement?

More modularity in terms of how nodes are provisioned (all nodes having to be the same size when deployed).

Learn what your peers think about VMware vSAN. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
501,818 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Senior System Engineer at VAKIFBANK
Straightforward and easy to use, but requires data services like remote replication

What is our primary use case?

Virtual environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped to reduce storage costs.

What is most valuable?

Straightforward and easy to use.

What needs improvement?

Data services like remote replication.

Trial/evaluations only.
Senior Consultant at global brands
Very stable and has increased our business productivity levels

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this solution for consolidation on the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to continue our business needs and have higher visibility. It has definitely increased our business productivity levels.

What needs improvement?

I would love for this product to be cheaper and easier to configure.

It is a very stable and strong product that is easily deliverable to our users.

I know it can scale up or scale out but I have not had the need to do so.

We also evaluated Dell EMC before choosing this solution.
JF
Infrastructure Architect at a media company with 10,001+ employees
I Have Used VMware for 15 Years and I Never Had Any Problems With Stability.

What is our primary use case?

My primary use case is for storage and resilience between centers.

• "To me, VMware is a leader of the visualizations. I think everyone just follow VMware."
  • "I have used VMware for 15 years and I never had any problems with stability."
  • "It is an expensive solution."
  • "The vSan product uses a software system called Vsphere to monitor the system. It is sometimes difficult to manage the PCs within the systems."

What other advice do I have?

To me, VMware is a leader of virtualization. I think everyone just follows VMware. The reason why we use VMware is because all of the areas that VMware can provide. They fill a need for our platforms. There are other platforms now that provide similar solutions. In the old days, it was a simple Microsoft platform, and they had no management costs. Now they use VMN to create a cross-test and to link all of the servers they want. So they can provide restoration of servers. Furthermore, now they are integrating the movement towards cloud solutions. The only issues concerning the future of vSAN is…
MH
Infrastructure Analyst at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review
The stability, which is important for our internal ops, has been flawless for us

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for management of all the data that we collect from our customer bases and from our 500-plus locations. There is also the data that we use to manage employee systems, so it's both ends of the business. It's the actual retail side of the business, as well as the internal operations.

What other advice do I have?

When we're choosing a vendor, there are two factors involved, and the lowest price isn't always the most important. We need a vendor who provides really good support and products that really meet our needs well. I'm going to rate it as a ten out of ten, because it just works. It's always solid.
R&D Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Video Review

What is our primary use case?

We are using vSAN as a product in vSphere. Recently, we signed up for the 6.7 version of vSAN. We use it on all-flash and VME. All the discs that we use are NVMe disks.

• "vSAN provides default HA configurations, where if any host goes down, the VM moves around within the host. Even though the disks are local, the VMs moves around with the vSAN disk and vSAN provides a high availability on its own."
  • "vSAN is scalable for us. If any additional capacity needs to be included, we just add to the host and configure the vSAN cluster."
  • "There is a room for improvement on the latest version of compatibility with the VMware product, especially for vSAN and with other vendors on their motherboards and driver configurations."

What other advice do I have?

We give it nine out of ten. They are going down the right path. When they started, we saw a lot of improvements with a lot of focus on the product, even in VM World. There were announcements in the features for improvement with vSAN. We continue to see VMware keeping up-to-date with vSAN, not putting the product aside.
Customer Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
Video Review
Enables us to scale out nodes independently and flexibly - we can put almost any type of server in them

What is our primary use case?

We use vSAN primarily as an R&D tool to test our products and see how they work on it, and it is absolutely phenomenal. It is one of the best hyperconverged solutions I've been able to get my hands on.

• "The most valuable features for us are the ability to scale out the nodes independently, and the flexibility of the nodes. We can put almost any type of server in there with our connectivity and everything works great."
  • "Scalability in vSAN has been really good. It's very easy to add nodes in, to automatically generate the drives and the disk groups. It has been a piece of cake, surprisingly so."
  • "The biggest room for improvement I see in vSAN is the lack of SAN connectivity. I've kind of joked around that there is no "SAN" in vSAN. And it's something that we've worked to try and introduce some options for, and we're going to continue to work towards that."

What other advice do I have?

Do your research, dig, find out what your particular needs are, what would the overall cost be to - sometimes it's a forklift, sometimes it's a migration. But look at all the factors, look at the requirements of vSAN, look at the requirements of other hyperconverged solutions, and then make the decision. I would rate vSAN as a solid nine. To get it to a ten it would need: the ability to support a SAN and a little bit of a larger scale. Those would be the two things that I would request.
Solutions Engineer at a insurance company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Video Review

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for vSAN has been our branch locations and multiple different office locations. We are running vSAN as an alternative to external storage arrays, and it's working really well to provide us with data storage at these branch sites.

• "The most valuable features of vSAN are its simplicity to deploy and that we can use commodity disks in our servers without complexity or need for external storage arrays or storage specialists on our teams."
  • "The features of vSAN allow us to reduce our operational complexity to a large degree."
  • "We are finding that vSAN is a lot more scalable and adaptable, because we can go in with hybrid arrays for our lower-end storage needs or with all-flash versions of vSAN for places where we need more performance, and it's coming in at a lower cost point than an actual traditional array."
  • "I see room for improvement for vSAN just around general hardware compatibility and expanding that sort of matrix."

What other advice do I have?

If I had to rate vSAN, I would give it a nine out of ten. When we're choosing a vendor, we're looking at the ability for the vendor to be in business: * The viability of the vendor * Its reputation in the marketplace * The technical solution. These have a lot to do with our decision to work with a particular vendor. We typically seek out the best-of-breed solutions and try to adhere to those. At the same time, we try to work with the same vendors over and over, because we have existing relationships to leverage and existing expertise around the solutions that are adjacent to what we may be…
Systems Administrator at a educational organization with 201-500 employees
Video Review

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for vSAN is server virtualization. We've used it to virtualize close to 500 servers which would normally have been on physical hardware. We have virtualized and consolidated it down to run on nine nodes of vSAN. That workload primarily consist of web servers running Linux or Windows Servers to support the Windows Active Directory that we have for the environment onsite.

• "By eliminating dependency on that back-end storage, we now depend on everything that's in the VMkernel with vSAN. We eliminate the middleman."
  • "You get the benefit of local storage, but you have the protection of shared storage."
  • "I see room for improvement with vSAN in particularly in the reporting realm. Now, with vSAN 6.7, they're starting to include vRealize Operations components in the vSphere Client, even if you're not a vRealize Operations customer. So, that's really good. It exposes some really low-level reporting. I would like to see more of that. However, you have to be a vRealize Operations customer to obtain that. I would like to see more include of this included in the vSAN licensing."

What other advice do I have?

The product is at least an eight to eight and a half out of ten. Because the feature growth that I've seen them put into the product since we've been with them since 5.5, they are innovating with each release. They're adding more features and all that adds up to a better ROI on our investment. As we were consolidating so many servers, we had a really high consolidation ratio. We wanted to have something that was close to being local disk. However, we also needed to have redundancy so we could take a node down for maintenance or if a node would crash. All the same standard reasons of why you…
VP of Systems Operations at Cogolabs Inc.
Video Review
Adding drives to our hardware gave us a software-defined network storage system; but stability needs work

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is just for VMDK storage. We're running an all-flash array with NVME caching tier. The performance is really good, we're using SATA drives. We're about to do a complete rebuild with 12-gig SATA drives as the capacity tier, and bigger, newer, faster NVME for the caching tier.

• "vSAN itself is a great storage platform, but one of the issues with it is that you have to be fully locked into the VMware package to use it. We're going to be deploying 72 Kubernetes nodes, and we're not going to buy VMware licenses for 72 of them, just so they can access vSAN. That's what we're using the Pure for. Opening it up so you could have vSAN as a data store, use it as a data lake, hit it with an NFS, S3 from outside the VMware ecosystem, would be great."
    • "We do see weird things crop up every now and again. It will say that a drive gets kicked off even though it's fine, and we have to re-add it."

What other advice do I have?

I'd say vSAN, on a scale of one to 10, would be a seven or an eight now. (If I have to choose it's a) seven. But with what I've heard while I've been at VMworld, I'd say that they'll probably go up to an eight.
    IT Manager at VelocityEHS
    Video Review
    Helped us consolidate workloads from different silos to manage everything in one place

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for vSAN is for our corporate cluster, and we have many different use cases using vSAN. It was a perfect solution for us. We were there for the beginning of vSAN. We created our own vSAN environment with their early installers and now we have a professional one. It's a great solution.

• "The valuable features of vSAN are that you can get it up and running quickly, you get redundancy built-in, and it's pretty much the perfect solution for a cluster."
    • "The product can be improved in a couple of ways. One of those would be that they have a lot of hidden features, that are through the CLI, that would be great to have in the GUI, or just be more open about those features. It's something called RVC. It's a tool in the back end. It's a really great tool, but I had to find it through Reddit. So more information on stuff like that would be great. Also, in the user interface, giving us more features and more reporting that we can do from vSphere itself would be helpful."

What other advice do I have?

If I had a colleague in the field, what I would tell him is that vSAN is great. I would do four nodes instead of three. Make sure that you're safe. Four or five will get you right where you need to be. You won't have any problems. That would be a tip I would give: Go for four nodes. vSAN is definitely worth the money. I would say it's a nine out of ten. It's not perfect, but it's almost there, and it's great.
    Team Lead System Integration at a tech company with 201-500 employees
    Video Review
    We can easily expand horizontally or vertically, as more users and VDI workstations come on

What is our primary use case?

We're primarily using it in a VDI environment, a four-node VDI environment. Performance is very good. We're very happy with it. Networking setup was a little bit of a challenge, but we got around that.

• "Flexibility, growth, and expansion are probably the more important features for us. As our environment grows, the more users come on, the more VDI workstations that we need, we can easily expand either horizontally or vertically with the environment"

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give is to properly analyze your host infrastructure. Make sure that your network cards are sufficient for the environment you're trying to deploy in, whether it be all-flash. There are already some Ready Nodes available. Go with the Ready Nodes when it comes to vSAN. Don't try and buy your own parts - something we looked at originally that we scrapped. That would be my main advice. Go with Ready Nodes when it comes to virtual SAN. In terms of improving the product, we're very familiar with the new features in 6.7, which we're going to be upgrading to. Data encryption, we…
      Senior Server Analyst at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Video Review
      We scale it to see how many VMs that we can host and how long it will take us to add new hosts

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our DMZ and any test environments that we put into our industry. It's performing pretty well. We have no issues with vSAN at all.

• "vSAN is one of the easiest implementations of any VMware product. It's almost like click it to enable it, then you're almost done."
      • "Technical support has been very good. They respond pretty fast, especially if we have a critical issue. Their responses have been great."
      • "We can scale it very easily for a test environment. We were able to segment our DMZ so it wasn't connected to anything, which we really liked."
      • "One thing in vSAN that I would like to improve is using vSAN as a repository for files or other things. For example, with Horizon, maybe we can save profiles with UEM on there. That would be a good feature that I would like."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the solution an eight out of ten. To make it a ten, it needs to be able to scale the amount of data that we can hold so we can put bigger, more data-intensive apps on it. My advice to a person looking at vSAN is get your hands dirty in the labs. Show how easy it is to set up, because it's not very complicated. It's an easy solution that you can implement at your company. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Since we're a hospital, we have multiple hospitals in the area. We look at local site resiliency, so we're looking to see if we can put it in each of our hospitals.
      Head, IS Operations & Infrastructure at Sydney Adventist Hospital
      Video Review
      We doubled the density of desktops per host and demonstrated a lower TCO for VDI

What is our primary use case?

We recently adopted vSAN. We adopted VDI for our desktop solution about ten years ago and we have a single KPI for delivery which is clinical data accessed in five seconds. Throughout the last decade, as new back-end technologies have come to market, we have always been investing in the hosting end of VDI. Five years ago, we went to an all-flash array, and two years ago, we went to the vSAN hyperconverged.

• "The most important feature to me, in my role, is cost. In the renewal cycle for storage, it was about a 40 percent saving compared to going to an all-flash array, which is what we first looked at doing. Secondly, performance: we need clinical data access in five seconds and need to do everything we can to retain that metric. Thirdly, I was really pleasantly surprised during the data migration across to vSAN, that it happened almost instantly whereas, in the past, migrating from array to array was an arduous and fraught process."

What other advice do I have?

On a scale of one to ten, I am giving it a nine. It's probably because I can't bring myself to give a ten for anything, in case it could be improved.
        AS
        VDI Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
        Easy to predict IOPS needs and we can design for low latency using all-flash

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all our virtual desktop storage.

• "it's easy to scale, it's easy to predict IOP needs, and you can design for low latency using all-flash... Also, for setting up new clusters for VDI quickly, it's nice. You don't have to wait on an order for a storage vendor to ship you a system and help you configure it, you do it all yourself. And the sizing guides are pretty straightforward."
        • "I would like to see better performance graphs, maybe something that you can export outside to a different console, and maybe a little bit longer time period. The 18-hour maximum, or 24-hour maximum, is kind of short. Also, the hardware compatibility limitations are a little frustrating sometimes, but as everybody's starting to adopt vSAN more, you get more options for hardware."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Make sure you know what kind of IOPS and latency requirements you need to meet. Picking hardware is not hard anymore. Everybody has an HCL. vSAN has a great list. Just pick what you want and go, it's not that hard. I rate it at eight out of 10 because nothing is perfect. I'm hard to please. I'm not saying there are growing pains, but vSAN was still new at the time. They didn't have dedupe and compression yet. The performance was pretty good. Most of it was hybrid in the beginning, but now with all-flash, it's speedy, when it needs to be. It's a young product and nobody gets a…
        PT
        IT Architect with 1,001-5,000 employees
        As VDI storage it keeps workload off production, but the performance is lacking

What is our primary use case?

We use it for VDI.

• "It could be more robust. The latency is also an issue for us, and the reliability. I would like it to be faster and a little more flexible."
          FL
          Sys Admin with 1,001-5,000 employees
          By deploying the solution we were able to reduce our hardware footprint by half

What is our primary use case?

We use it for hosting all our business products on virtual machines.

How has it helped my organization?

It's cost-effective.

What is most valuable?

Hyperconverged storage Computing

What needs improvement?

The only thing I care about is that the solution is stable, reliable. They need to improve on those factors. I don't want to have to wake up at night to deal with problems.

It's pretty stable now. We had some challenges when we deployed them. There were software bugs.

The scalability is pretty good. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Technical support, at times, has not been very good,…
          RL
          Product Operations at a insurance company with 10,001+ employees
          Gives us greater uptimes, good scalability, and better manageability

What is our primary use case?

It's going to be employed for our VDI infrastructure and, potentially, we will move it into our VSI infrastructure.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor for us are the stability of the product, as much uptime as we can get, and service contracts so that we can get people to react more quickly to cases that we open and get things escalated properly. I rate vSAN at nine out of ten. What would help make it a ten would be if we didn't have so much inconsistency in the information around how to deploy it. That that would be a little bit better.
          TK
          CTO at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
          Provides great performance, natural redundancy, and integration with VMware

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for VDI. In fact, we have created what's called a virtual research desktop with VDI, which is insulated because we're dealing with HIPAA data. I think it has performed pretty well.

• "It would be much improved if we could somehow integrate a better backup with it. Right now, we're using Veeam and it's okay, but I would like more of a VDP vSAN solution. That would be excellent. The VDP, at least the last time we looked at, it was just not quite there."
            • "I would have liked it to have been more scalable. It's scalable but not as much as, for example, the ScaleIO systems were or the Kaminario"

What other advice do I have?

The hybrid storage strategy is not the best thing you can do; for example, when you're mixing standard drives and flash drives, SSDs. Do all SSDs if you can afford it. I give vSAN an eight out of ten. It can stand some improvement, but it's much better than it was three years ago when I looked at it.
            AS
            Server Administrator at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
            As an architecting company, we require a lot of IOPS for our clients

What is our primary use case?

Because our company is an architecting company, we require a lot of IOPS going from the server side to the clients who are using the models. They require faster transactions and that's the reason we thought of having a type of HCI solution. That's why we went with the vSAN solution.

• "We want see a better monitoring tool in vSAN. Monitoring is not that great as of now because it shows us false alarms in the Health status. We would like that to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

When vSAN was introduced we were quite excited about it. We were looking for something that was not traditional and we wanted something hyperconverged. vSAN was a perfect fit for us. I rate the solution an eight out of ten. To get to a ten it would need improvement in the Health status checkup.
              Product Manager at Micron Technology, Inc.
              Performance, simplicity, and synchronicity with vSphere help us do PoCs for clients

What is our primary use case?

We do reference architectures using our SSDs so we're all about All-Flash vSAN. It's part of our portfolio.

• "The most valuable features are its performance, simplicity, and synchronicity with vSphere."
              • "I would love to see vSAN integrate Persistent Memory and NVDIMMs. I know they're supposed to be working on an elastic tier so that we don't have the issues with destaging from the cache to the capacity. Those are the things that I'm interested in."
              Engineer at a consumer goods company with 10,001+ employees
              Simplifies storage, we no longer need to deal with Fibre Channel or external arrays

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is all of our VMware workloads. In terms of performance, it does alright with the general workloads. I've had some issues with the dupe clusters, but that's just the right-sizing overwriting the cache.

• "The most valuable feature is the simplification of storage. We no longer need to deal with Fibre Channel and the external storage arrays."

What other advice do I have?

If you're going to run vSAN, make sure that you stick to the HCL and that your firmware and your drivers match what's on the HCL before you implement it or go live with it. When selecting a vendor, for us, support is number one, the support that we can get from them. The other factor would be the forward-looking direction of the company.
                BB
                Solutions Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                Gives our clients the ability to make use of storage they already own

What is our primary use case?

In a lot of cases, the primary use case for vSAN is in small to medium businesses, where they may not have the space or the funds for an actual storage array to provide a shared storage medium for their virtual environment. And even if they do, they may not have the expertise to maintain that and a separate network. vSAN gives them the ability to make use of storage they already own, across their host. As they add more, more storage, more compute, they'll add more memory. It makes their environment simpler to manage and keeps it moving smoothly for them.

• "The most valuable feature is the simplicity of its scalability: being able to grow it without having to make sure you get the right disks and the right nodes. The solution is also easy to manage. It's all right there in the vSphere Client. You're not going through multiple things. You don't have to know, once you've created the vSAN node. You add storage, it sees it, and you create your data storage from there. Everything is right there for you."
                • "What I would like to see, for the really small customers, is the ability to have two nodes."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely go with the vSAN solution. A lot of times, it's less expensive than third-party software, and it's not managed via third-party plugins. It's there, it's native to the ecosystem, and it works.
                Senior Network Engineer at Reliance Standard Life Insurance
                We can use whatever storage we have on hand and roll it into our virtualization system

What is our primary use case?

Our vSAN setup is used in our development system, not our production system, for ease of use and ease of access.

• "We don't have to order a storage system, we can just use whatever we have on hand and roll it into our virtualization system."
                • "I would like to see a little bit more documentation on the initial setup, and a little bit more explanation on the expandability: How to extend out your vSAN much more simply through the console because, a lot of the time, you have to do it through the command line."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely tell colleagues to move towards this solution. I've had a lot of people wanting to go to Hyper-V, not VMware. I have told them VMware is much more mature, it's got the feature list, it has a lot of good qualities.
                MF
                Sys Admin II at a retailer
                Being able to do maintenance on the fly is a key benefit for us

What is our primary use case?

We use if for our primary infrastructure. In terms of performance, vSAN is fine.

• "The most valuable feature is that it is software-defined storage. Also, being able to do maintenance on the fly is a real benefit: migrating off, updating, and then moving the guest back on to the nodes."
                • "It needs to be vanilla. There shouldn't be any custom drivers, any custom anything. It should just be, "Hey, you know what? These drivers are going to work for this version, the next version, and the following version after that." That's the difficulty in this. It takes too much upkeep... The main issue is drivers. Every time we move to a new vSAN version, we're having problems finding the correct drivers for the vendor."

What other advice do I have?

Go with the full managed support, something like VxRail or, if you go with Cisco, get their full central management system. vSAN alone, with the current features and version we're at, rates an eight out of ten. The vendor would be a definite one out of ten. To make the solution a ten, it needs to be vanilla. There shouldn't be any custom drivers, any custom anything. It should just be, "Hey, you know what? These drivers are going to work for this version, the next version, and the version after that." That's the difficulty in this. It takes too much upkeep.
                Senior Systems Engineer at Smithfield
                Gives us flexibility to move machines around without hesitation, but UI could be better

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is bringing redundancy into our plants for failover. It has been performing great.

• "The most valuable feature is fhe flexibility, the ability to move the machines around without hesitation."
                • "The UI could certainly be better. The inside into what's actually going on with vSAN would be nice to know."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure your storage network is strong. But I would recommend vSAN. It's a pretty solid product now that's it's at 6.5 Update 2. I know that it's going to get better, but right now I'm pretty happy with where we're at. I would rate it at seven out of ten. Nothing's perfect. There's always room for improvement.
                DP
                CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                Great performance from all-flash, but scaling up or down is an involved process

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the product is for storage for VDI plus some other storage for file servers and the like. The performance is great. We use it on all-flash.

• "I would like to see it be more hardware-agnostic. Other than that, the only other complication is - and it has gotten better with the newer versions - that lately, once you're running an all-flash, if you need to grow or scale down your infrastructure, it's a long process. You need to evacuate all data and make sure you have enough space on the host, then add more hosts or take out hosts. That process is a little bit complex. You cannot scale as needed or shrink as needed."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try.
                  CG
                  Security Specialist at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  As a hyperconverged solution, it simplifies what equipment we have to buy

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is production data and the performance has been great.

• "Being hyperconverged, it simplifies what equipment we have to buy."
                  • "I like that we could choose whatever hardware we wanted, rather than having to use one particular vendor."
                  • "It's very scalable. I like that. Adding a node is easy. Adding a disk group is easy."
                  • "I'd like to see better integration with the Update Manager, with respect to firmware updates for hardware."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you do a proof of concept. And look at your options for hardware if you're looking at vSAN, compared to some competitors where you have just one option. I would rate the solution at eight out of ten. To get to a ten they would have to drop the cost. That would get a point right there. Then, going forward, I'd like to see better integration with Update Manager. Some of the manual processes that you still have to do, being able to automate those, have it do them on its own, would be great.
                  Infrastructure Engineer at Boys Town
                  Ease of use is unparalleled - very easy to set up and very easy to administer

What is our primary use case?

Today, we use it for general compute and VDI. We have not put our VDI into production yet, but on the general compute side, it works great. The performance has been exemplary.

• "The most valuable features are ease of deployment, and ease of management. If you compare it to other software-defined storage products, it's much easier. It's a checkbox. It's lot easier to manage."
                  • "I like vSAN because they release features incrementally, every year, and you don't have to upgrade your hardware to get those features. If you bought a traditional SAN, you would have to upgrade your hardware constantly, every three years: You would get it, and it is how it is for three years. But on vSAN, you upgrade when you have to, when your hardware gets old or when you need more capacity. It's great, you get new features constantly."
                  • "External storage would be a good thing to have in the next release, something other than iSCZI, something a little more, not HA, a little more production-oriented, than iSCZI."

What other advice do I have?

I would ask a colleague who is looking at this type of solution, "Do you need storage for VMs?" Hands-down, if you need storage for VMs, vSAN is your option. If you need a SAN for some other reason, other than storage for VMs, then go for it. But if you're running VMware VMs, buy vSAN. I like vSAN because they release features incrementally, every year, and you don't have to upgrade your hardware to get those features. If you bought a traditional SAN, you would have to upgrade your hardware constantly, every three years: You would get it, and it is how it is for three years. But on vSAN, you…
                  JL
                  Supervisor at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  With the Vx Rack and SDDC, everything is managed much more easily

What is our primary use case?

We use it for all of our Production and it has been very effective.

• "I would like to see some of the more traditional SAN functions that are out the now. I can list them: being able to Snapshot on the back-end, better de-dupe, and better compression. Those are the major ones."

What other advice do I have?

Be careful of your FTT policies. I rate it a nine out of ten. It would be a ten if it had better deduping, compression, and the ability to Snapshot volumes on the back-end.
                    DM
                    Director Of IT Infrastructure at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
                    "One size fits all" - it's the same solution at every physical location I manage

What is our primary use case?

It runs our core virtualization, both in our data centers and our edge or remote-site data centers. The performance has exceeded our expectations and exceeded our traditional converged infrastructure.

• "The performance has exceeded our expectations and exceeded our traditional converged infrastructure."
                    • "The valuable features are its scalability and the standardization - one size fits all. It's also intuitive and easy to use because one size fits all. Obviously, it scales out, but it's the same solution at every physical location I manage."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell a colleague to highly consider it. Do your research and test it. If it fits, it fits. We've been live about nine months so I would rate it at eight out of ten right now, just because I haven't used it long enough to be confident to say ten. To get it to a ten it will need to be stable for 12 months.
                      RO
                      Supervisor at RSM US LLP
                      We use it to convert localized storage into virtual storage

What is our primary use case?

We use it for localized storage converted into virtual storage. The performance is perfect, awesome. No complaints.

• "The most valuable features are its price point and that you can use existing storage; no specific storage requirements are needed."

What other advice do I have?

Look at the ROI carefully, and make sure that you can hit that before pushing the product. It's cheap, easy, and good for low-end customers. We're a small market, rural area, so we have low-end customers. Price point is just about everything for us. I would rate vSAN at nine out of ten. What would make it a ten would be lower pricing.
                        Cloud Engineer at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        Gives us the ability to manage all of our storage within our server rack

What is our primary use case?

We use our vSan primarily for our VCF deployment. We run our production workloads on it, mostly for Microsoft SQL databases and various WebSphere and web-based front-end applications. It performs pretty well for the most part. The older versions had some issues, specifically regarding upgrade paths and the robustness of the product, but in the last two or three versions they've really addressed those issues and brought it up to speed and made it a real enterprise solution.

• "The most valuable features are the encryption, deduplication, compression, and the ability to manage all of your storage within your server rack."
                        • "It completely removes the need for a storage network and for a storage administrator and all of that infrastructure and the costs that are involved with them."
                        • "I would like to see more comprehensive lifecycle management. The current path and process for upgrading or updating the firmware, as well as the storage controller software to interact with that firmware, is fairly manual and not very well documented. A little more time and effort spent on the documentation of the lifecycle management for vSan would be really great."

What other advice do I have?

It's great for DevTest and, as long as you're not going to be consuming data at huge rates, it's great for Prod too. I would rate vSAN as six-and-a-half or seven out of ten, but only because of the major problems we experienced with them a few months ago that led to some big outages. From what I understand, the current version alleviates those issues. If we're evaluating the current version, I would give it an eight. It would be a ten if there were more robust lifecycle management and a better-documented implementation within vSphere.
                        GR
                        Solution Architect at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        Easy to implement, easy to expand

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our developer clusters.

• "Perhaps they could provide encryption without having to use an encryption manager."
                          • "It doesn't seem like it gives the performance that an actual SAN would give for heavy IOPS, read/writes."

What other advice do I have?

Go for it. As long as you don't have a very high IOPS-oriented application, it's a great way to go. I rate it eight out of 10. While it's a little too early to tell, it doesn't seem like it gives the performance that an actual SAN would give for heavy IOPS, read/writes.
                          GL
                          Manager, Technical Systems at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                          Will help us implement our VDIs, while offering any-device, anywhere, anytime mobility

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is that we're getting ready to deploy a VDI solution across the campus and our healthcare network.

• "We would really like them to look at what Nutanix did for day-one/day-two operations deployment: Bringing in the equipment, getting it deployed, getting it setup, and ease of use of one-click for deploying our 30-node solution. With vSAN we had to go into each one individually and set it up."

What other advice do I have?

You'd want to give it a 10 out of 10 based on what they're doing in the future, but if you always give a company a 10 they'll feel like they're already there. I would actually rate vSAN one below Nutanix, as far as maturity of the model goes. I would give vSAN a very solid eight. There is room for improvement to catch up to Nutanix. Nutanix is definitely a nine. Again I don't like giving anybody a 10 because we always want to see what the next evolution or innovation is that they're bringing to the table. The way vSAN would get to a 10 depends on how they get me to "tomorrow".
                            Manager Innovation Cross Developer at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Performs well for our clients and scales beyond our needs

What is our primary use case?

We use it to provide and sell infrastructure as a service. The performance for us is very good. Our infrastructure now is only solid-state disks, with two different levels. There is one for write-intensive and one for read-intensive. Our decision was to change traditional storage to vSAN.

• "One of the valuable features for us is the ability to restrict the performance capacity per client. Other solutions don't have this feature."
                            • "I would like to be able to limit IOPS."

What other advice do I have?

For me, vSAN is a nine out of 10. I don't know what could make it a 10 because I have not really compared it with other products in the last three years. Maybe today there are other products that are better. When we started using it three years ago, vSAN was, perhaps, a seven out of 10 but they have improved the features.
                            SN
                            Senior Systems Administration at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                            Helps give us a disaster recovery option and do replication across multiple data centers

What is our primary use case?

For us, vSAN is a really good option for our EDGE network sites. We're able to use it in a high-available environment that enables our end-users to get to the data they need. We're heavily leveraging it for our VDI deployments.

• "The ability to have a disaster recovery option for our end-users by being able to use VDI and the vSANs, and the ability to do replication across multiple data centers, are valuable to us."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to look beyond what your initial scope is. If you're looking at using it just for VDI implementations, look at more than just that and how you can leverage it for a lot of different datasets in your data center. When I look to work with a vendor it's important to find one that is agnostic to either software or hardware and a solution that fits our specific environment.
                              Systems Engineer at Colorado college
                              It scales well. We have plenty of room to grow.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a primary storage for our Horizon View environment. The product is great. It runs well.

• "It scales well. We have plenty of room to grow."
                              • "It helped us survive power outages in one of our data centers, then continued to function without a hitch."
                              • "Technical support has been fantastic. We always get answers quickly whenever we call."
                              • "I would like a better Hardware Certification List (HCL). The HCL should a little easier to deal with."

What other advice do I have?

Give it a look. It will save you time and money.
                              Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                              Gave us the storage-processing and CPU power we needed in remote areas

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use of vSAN is to set up a deployment of a small subset of clusters that we have out in our gas and oil prepossessing plants, in remote areas. Performance-wise, it has gone above and beyond what we originally spec'ed it for. From that respect, for us, it's like the "golden gun".

• "The usability is pretty good but it could use a little tweaking on the UI, with a clearer definition of exactly what some of the things do."

What other advice do I have?

If you're coming from a small enough environment, where you have to provision out a stand-alone datastore for this, and you don't have the resources to do it, I would definitely say go look at vSAN for that, because you can definitely combine your compute and resources into one environment.
                                Engineering Specialist at a logistics company with 10,001+ employees
                                We can put our infrastructure in remote locations and get onsite-SAN performance

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storage and redundancy.

How has it helped my organization?

It has changed the way we design our infrastructure. We're looking at a new infrastructure. Also, it allows us to put our infrastructure in remote locations and still get the same performance we get from our onsite SAN solutions.

What is most valuable?

I like the availability aspects of it.

Less than one year.

The stability has been very good. I don't think we've had any real issues from what we have been setting up so far.

It's very scalable. That is a really good feature of the product.

ME
                                Virtualization Architect at a tech company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                Easy to scale by adding hard drives or servers, but needs replication capabilities

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our compute clusters, for running our virtual machines. We use it for our vROps clusters. Our customers use it for their compute workloads.

• "It is scalable, overall. If you need to add storage, it makes it easy to scale by adding additional hard drives into the existing servers or you can add storage by just adding more servers."
                                • "I would like to see replication as part of it. I would also like to see direct file access, being able to run SIF shares and NFS and the like. I think that would be critical to continuing the use of it going forward."
                                • "One of the things that we've had challenges with are when we place hosts into maintenance mode. Sometimes doing so triggers large re-sync processes which can be time-consuming and which have, at times, pushed the capacity to the threshold. I definitely think making some changes in that area would provide some big improvements."

What other advice do I have?

Properly align your workloads to the storage policies and make sure you know what your workloads are before you leverage vSAN. Have a good understanding of the size of your VMs, the amount of change that they have, and how you are going to be doing maintenance in your cluster. Understand the workload and what you're going to be doing with it before you jump in.
                                Systems Engineer/Partner at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                MSP
                                Adding new nodes and expanding vSAN forward is simple and non-disruptive for a lot of our customers

What is our primary use case?

We use vSAN because it's a VMware product which integrates with all the other virtualization, and it simplifies hyper-converged environments.

What needs improvement?

I would like more integration with the hardware when it comes to disc types and supporting the newer types of storage.  I would like compression and deduplication to be offered for offloading hardware, instead of doing it with software. That would be nice.

Three to five years.

The latest version is very stable. It had a couple of hiccups in the earlier versions. The deployment and integration were simple, but we did have some bugs that we hit on, which have since been fixed.

What do I think

CIO at DATAPREV
                                We're using it to develop both public and private clouds for the Brazilian government

What is our primary use case?

Dataprev has a strategic partnership with VMware and the federal government of Brazil. We're developing a new public cloud and private cloud for the whole government of Brazil.

What other advice do I have?

I rate vSAN a 10 out of 10 because the VMware team works with my team to develop a better, more timely response. We have made improvements for the federal government. We have been working with VMware for almost 15 years
                                DR
                                Senior Systems Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
                                NVMe makes it very fast and the ease of use helps our ops group

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our management cluster. All of our network services are on this cluster, on vSAN. That way, it's off the production network, it's off by itself. We have four nodes in case there is an issue with it, it has the failover capabilities. The performance is very good. We have NVMe performance in it so it's very fast.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you use a solution that is supported. There are a lot of companies out there that are new and sometimes they don't have a life. We have been in that situation before where we have bought something and then it has gone end-of-life or no more support. Make sure you get a solution that is going to be supported for five to seven years, such as vSAN. I would rate it at nine out of 10. I know it's very young and that they're growing it or doing a lot of updates to it, so I'm thinking it will be a 10. It's just very new to us. To make it a 10 will take some time.
                                RB
                                Manager at IRSANE TECH
                                User
                                It is easy to use. Raw disk and block disk could use improvement

What is our primary use case?

Virtual Desktop.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to use.

What is most valuable?

Horizon VDI

What needs improvement?

Raw disk and block disk.

Integration & IT at a energy/utilities company with 11-50 employees
                                The migration of servers feature makes server rack maintenance easy

What is our primary use case?

VMware was used to manage multiple servers in a DMZ for an eCormerce service (Coy). VMware made the server management, migration and backup/maintenance efficient.

How has it helped my organization?

The management of servers was easy from a central standpoint. The server rooms were less cluttered as servers were virtual and easy to manage.

What is most valuable?

The migration of servers feature makes server rack maintenance easy.

What needs improvement?

It is a memory intensive app, which should be improved. Also, the server files are larger than before.

Three to five years.
                                User at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                User
                                It is easier to deploy than the traditional SAN

What is our primary use case?

We are thinking of using vSAN instead of the traditional SAN. We are just starting to explore how vSAN can benefit us.

How has it helped my organization?

This is not yet deployed, we are just starting to explore how vSAN can benefit us. it seems very expensive to obtain a vSAN license.

What is most valuable?

Based on my findings, it seems easier to deploy than the traditional SAN. I was told vSAN can be deployed in a few minutes.

What needs improvement?

Dedupe in non flash drives can be improved. The raw capacity for PFTT two is only able to use 67% of the raw capacity.

Trial/evaluations only.
                                System Specialist at Techedge
                                All the features are working great

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is server workload and mission critical work.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved our organization in all situations.

What is most valuable?

All the features are working great.

What needs improvement?

Only the stretched cluster requires a minor improvement.

President & CEO at McMillan Consulting
                                Reseller
                                Can have an HA cluster in the absence of a shared storage device or SAN

What is our primary use case?

We have a traditional, multi-host cluster with SAN and a small (three host) vSAN cluster alongside it. I built the vSAN cluster mostly to experiment with the platform.

• "The ability to have an HA cluster in the absence of a shared storage device or SAN."

What other advice do I have?

Coming from the early networking days when storage was software-defined, and seeing the announcement of this product caught my interest. The platform has been improved much over the first version. Today, we are comfortable running any of our mission critical apps on it.
                                  QH
                                  Presales engineering, Data center solution architect at SYSTEC TECHNOLOGY INC.
                                  Reseller
                                  It is easy for deploying and maintenance

What is our primary use case?

We use vSAN as our server virtualization solution for Dell install of our customer base, and vSAN is our primary solution.

• "vSAN has just one datastore. so customers do not need to think where to put their VMs, how to design the physical disk RAID, the LUN size, the LUN mapping, etc. when they use NetApp/EMC/HDS or other storage systems."
                                  • "vSAN can help customers save on storage system costs, and also save on the human cost."
                                  • "vSAN is easy for deploying and maintenance, so some customers can do service themselves."
                                  • "vSAN does not have online dedup. When opening the inline dedupe, the performance will be lower than off inline."
                                  • "Virtual machines disk size cannot cap more than a single node. For a VDI user, it may not save enough to hold a file server or exchange server on a single node storage space."
                                  PT
                                  User at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

Virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) implementation on vSAN with an environment of about 2000 desktops and 1000 servers.

• "It is simple to manage, very easy to implement and troubleshoot in case of any failures."
                                  • "Since the storage space is local to the hosts, it reduces the overall response time and improves the performance."
                                  • "Some intelligence can be added to the newest version to provide more flexibility between storage tiers."
                                  Senior Security Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  We gained fantastic performance with the benefit of simplifying the whole hardware stack

What is our primary use case?

For a new full site, vSAN was used instead of going with the usual fibre SAN. Since vSAN requires SSDs, it was a great way to introduce that tech to the company. If we would have gone with a traditional SAN SSD, it would have been an option, so a debatable feature.

• "The lower skill cost of maintaining it meant that we could do more with the people that we had."
                                  • "The main problem we had was hardware compatibility, finding the right hardware that was certified."
                                  Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  It is a stable and reliable platform, and can scale both ways.

What other advice do I have?

Have a look at the simplicity of vSAN and how it easily integrates into the existing management tools. It’s not even the ease of implementation; it’s the ease of managing and maintaining the complete stack.
                                  Application Support Specialist at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  The solution is easy to deploy and manage.

What is most valuable?

The solution is easy to deploy and manage. It offers stable performance.

What needs improvement?

Deduplication and compression usage data display is not real-time and is not that accurate.

We have used this solution for more than three months.

There were no issues with stability.

There were no issues with scalability.

Technical support is not very good.

We did not use a different solution before this one.

The initial setup was easy, if you’ve got such…
                                  Virtualization System Administrator. at a integrator with 51-200 employees
                                  We were able to create different security policies depending on the virtual machines according to their needs for performance or availability

• "The most important functionality is the ability to extend cluster storage and cluster computing power securely without loss of data."
                                  • "I lose a node in a cluster vSAN, which is also used as a cluster HA. I lose not only the storage part, which is not necessarily serious (depending on the configuration of the vSAN cluster), but on the other hand, I lose also a node of Compute, which can make things complicated quickly."

What other advice do I have?

Test the product before implementation to see if it fits your needs. Above all, be careful with technical prerequisites and other technical constraints. To be accompanied by the pre-sales of editor would be the simplest. Most importantly, the interface is simple, but it is clear that bad handling can have unfortunate consequences. A simple example: I lose a node in a cluster vSAN, which is also used as a cluster HA. I lose not only the storage part, which is not necessarily serious (depending on the configuration of the vSAN cluster), but on the other hand, I lose also a node of Compute, which…
                                  Solutions Architect at a tech services company
                                  In a production environment, it increases provisioning, security and provides faster deployment.

What other advice do I have?

Work hard on the sizing matters.
                                  Technical Consultant EUC and Cloud at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees

What is most valuable?

Easy to configure vSAN. I have configured with in 30 minutes. IOPS is comparatively best to run VDI solution. Policy based profiling is a best advantage. Recently VMware launched iscsi support for vSAN is an added advantage.

2 months back we started using this.

Yes. MTU settings will be vary depending upon network switch.

Customer Service: 9 Technical Support: I haven't contacted any technical support.

Earlier customer has used…
                                  Principal Technical Consultant at Fujitsu Consulting India
                                  MSP
                                  It can handle all infra tasks and due to policy based storage we can manage the I/O performance also.
                                  Senior System Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  The most valuable feature is its simplicity of implementation.

What other advice do I have?

Use VMware vSAN for special use-cases only and don’t use it as an all-purpose storage solution. Use VMware vSAN for VDI, small VSI, and dev-test environments. Don’t use it for messaging/database solutions as the licensing costs are huge.
                                  Engagement Cloud Solution Architect - Ericsson Cloud Services at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
                                  Technical support is perfect. Storage policies are used to perform operations in the VMs.

• "Storage policies are used to perform operations in the VMs. This feature allows you to create storage policies for VMs to get performance, high availability, I/O policies, etc."
                                  • "he list of hardware supported should be increased in the future."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to design and deploy to react to a changing environment.
                                  Senior Technical Engineer at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  It provides high availability without needing a full vCentre/host license or a physical SAN. There are bugs in the SAN Health Check utility.

What other advice do I have?

Take a look at the network requirements and use 10GbE.
                                  Senior Systems Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  You can set up storage policies and assign them at the disk level.
                                  Solutions Architect with 501-1,000 employees
                                  The solution is built on commodity hardware. Snapshot management continues to improve with each release.

What other advice do I have?

Invest the time and resources to properly design and size vSAN early on, long before hardware is purchased. It is very important to ensuring stability and its overall functionality. Contact a trusted solution provider or expert and evaluate the existing infrastructure or environment to determine the correct hardware and software configuration. Lastly, VMware is very consistent with releasing up-to-date ready node configurations that are certified and tested for vSAN functionality. Adhere to those guidelines and the solution will be successful.
                                  Sr. Manager-IT Infrastructure at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  The increase in IOPS and reduction in TCO are valuable. The hardware compatibility list is a sore point.

What other advice do I have?

This will definitely reduce your TCO by at least 50%. Hence, if you are planning to go with this product, just go ahead. But again, as I have said previously, please MAKE SURE that you take a look at the HCL up to the micro level.
                                  Network and System Administrator with 51-200 employees
                                  Provides high availability by requiring at least three servers.

What other advice do I have?

Study and evaluate your current setup. Conduct a case study to see if the advantages really outweigh the disadvantages. Virtualization really is the future. Especially here in my corner, almost all or most of the data centers are still in bare-metal setup. Because of the big price (CAPEX), most of the time, management will disapprove this project. But, if you help them see the big picture, I'm sure they are going to promote you for providing this project.
                                  ICT Network Administrator at a maritime company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  There is no need to manage separate storage areas in SAN/NAS environments. Storage management comes built-in.

What other advice do I have?

Study the VMware Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) carefully with your server hardware provider and make sure all the components/firmware versions are on the HCL; either that or buy predefined hardware, a.k.a. vSAN-ready nodes, from a certified vendor. Always make sure that the hardware and firmware levels are on par with the HCL. You may have to upgrade; for example, you may need to upgrade the disk controller firmware when the updates to ESXi are installed. VMware does a pretty good job here and vCenter tells you that there are inconsistencies. However, you should still be prepared for that…
                                  Senior consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  Policies can be applied per virtual disk instead of applied on an entire volume.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful about the chosen hardware, especially HBA, storage devices and CPU depending on deduplication or not.
                                  Infrastructure Development at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Scalability is the most valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

Start from scratch. Reject all your old dogmas about how things should be and what is right and embrace the functionality that is available. We designed our system so we can use NSX and all the other features VMware has to offer, even though we didn't plan on using it in the beginning. If you are putting constraints on your design because of ties to old legacy systems and designs, then you will never get the full benefits.
                                  Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company
                                  Reduced rack space and power consumption. There's always room for improvement when it comes to monitoring performance.

• "I like the scalability and the fact that it reduces your total cost for storage over several years."
                                  • "The only thing I can think of at this time is to improve the performance monitoring and performance visibility within the GUI."

What other advice do I have?

Keep it simple, and don’t try and over-complicate things. Make sure to follow VMware best practices when it comes to implementing your vSAN solution. Read those whitepapers and make sure you understand how you want to implement it in your environment.
                                  Since it works on the local storage cluster, there is little loss of IOPS.

What other advice do I have?

This will definitely reduce your TCO by at least 50%. Hence, if you are planning to go with this product, just go ahead. But again, as I have said previously, please make sure that you take a look at the HCL up to the micro-level.
                                  Senior Systems Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We can set up storage policies and assign them at the disk level.
                                  Head of Virtualization at DataLine LLC
                                  We are a service provider and we build IaaS clusters on top of it.

What other advice do I have?

You need to use it for the reason of economical efficiency. It’s one of VMware’s great products. vSAN is a great product, and we see improvement from 5.5 to 6 and 6.5.
                                  Software Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  It is scalable, and I have observed no stability issues when deployed as instructed.

What other advice do I have?

Discuss the deployment with VMware sales; I've met several of them and they are generally smart people looking to help get you the best deployment possible.
                                  Head of Virtualization & Systems and Network Engineer at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                                  Having all flash, the most valuable feature for us is deduplication, as it gives us better utilization of the space available.

What other advice do I have?

I think vSAN together with other alternatives is the future. Actually, it has already been here with us for a while; network, compute and storage are merging in one box. It’s just a matter of time for it to become the norm. My rating is for this point in time. However, there have been improvements and new features in the latest release, which will probably make me increase my rating in the coming days.
                                  IT Operations Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Software-based deduplication and compression is a valuable feature.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good solution for customers that are looking for performance, storage efficiency, and scalability.
                                  CEO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  Uses the same servers the hypervisor uses.

What other advice do I have?

Start with a four-node cluster.
                                  Virtualization Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  The storage policies allow the administrator to define which VMs have specific storage requirements.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend vSAN to others. The old, cumbersome, and traditional storage environments are done and belong to the past. Hyper-converged is the next big thing. It is more cost effective, easier to manage, and scaling up can be done almost on the fly. I recommend going for an all-flash vSAN setup, if the budget allows it. Some vSAN features like deduplication/compression are only available on an all-flash configuration. With the falling GB/$, an all-flash is becoming the evident choice. The benefits are there (more features and all-flash performance for all VMs).
                                  R&D Engineer at a tech vendor with 51-200 employees
                                  With the snapshot feature, we are able to keep our system in a specific status. A "unified system" that can support block + file + object, would help users face hybrid cloud environments.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to use and rapidly build up.
                                  Virtualization Management at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  With this solution, there is no need for FC switches. When our SSDs became full, performance went down.

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with the sizing of the SSDs, as they’re a big part of the infrastructure. Don’t hesitate to go to 10Gb for the network, even if it can work with 1Gb.
                                  Sr. Systems Engineer at a non-profit
                                  Scalability and speed are the most valuable features.

What other advice do I have?

See if you can really afford it and make sure you have the expertise on hand to deal with initial deployment issues. I found that buying a new SAN by Tegile is less expensive, less complex, and very inexpensive to maintain. In addition, support is the best in the business.
                                  Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  All objects in our datastore are replicated and can be failed over using the built-in HA feature.

What other advice do I have?

Use the GUI scripting vSAN implementation, at least for ESXi 6.0. We found that it was much quicker (and still fairly simple) to implement via the GUI. I’ve heard this may have gotten better in ESXi 6.5.
                                  Senior IT Systems Administrator at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  Concentrates our virtual platforms. Provides different levels of high availability.

What other advice do I have?

This is a very good solution if you have the adequate budget to provide for the related requirements or recommendations, e.g., a 10Gb network. It has a wide catalog of uses that fulfill the highest requirements of performance at all levels. Without any doubts, I recommend this solution.
                                  Senior Technical Consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  Integrates into the web client, with storage profiles, and VMkernel.

What other advice do I have?

RTFM and have realistic expectations about the product.
                                  Infrastructure Manager at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
                                  You can populate an empty HDD slot on the host with a disk and the tool adds the additional storage.

What other advice do I have?

Get a vSAN specialist to come out and spec your vSAN cluster according to your requirements. Have him configure it and test that it is performing properly.
                                  Senior VMware Architect with 51-200 employees
                                  The local server can access data at full speed and have low-latency in SSD. There should be an option to create more than one datastore.

What other advice do I have?

vSAN 6.2 has lot of new features which can be good for small and medium-sized servers & VDI infrastructures.
                                  I can create my own storage policies and prioritize some apps over others.

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to design and easy to implement.
                                  Virtualization Architect at Grupo Sothis
                                  It adapts to workloads with specific storage policies for virtual machines.

What other advice do I have?

Both vSAN and Nutanix give very good performance, but the support when the infrastructure works with VMware is a simple support; with Nutanix, you have two support vendors if the hypervisor is VMware. Nutanix has a proprietary hypervisor based on KVM.
                                  Senior Consultant at Computacenter
                                  We use it as the basis for DMZ environments, production environments, and DR sites.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to give them a perfect rating if the VMware driver issues, especially with NVMEs, are going to be fixed. Then I would absolutely agree a perfect rating, because we've set up with customers using VSAN Hybrid. We have customers using VSAN All-Flash and it's so simple for the customer to implement, to troubleshoot... It's all about the design and thinking process at the beginning of a project. That's why we are there as a partner. My advice is to definitely test it out; not listen to all the marketing stuff. Test it out on real-life environments, and especially test it out on newer…
                                  Solutions Architect at a transportation company with 10,001+ employees
                                  It's simplified our deployment methodology a fair amount, and it gave us better performance.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor like VMware, a lot of the decision comes down to functionality. Functionality, performance, and cost, those are the usually big factors. A lot of times, my company's really focused on cost, which is a pain in the butt. We're a very big VMware shop to start with, so whenever we can use a product that can simplify deployments, simplify management, and integrate with everything that we already have, that makes it really desirable. That's I think what VSAN did; it really simplified the way for us to get our storage for virtual machines and give us that performance and at a…
                                  Data Center Engineer at Strategic Solutions of Virginia
                                  Video Review
                                  I'm able to manage it easily from the web client as it's fully integrated in the VMware stack. As an improvement, I'm looking forward to VSAN Observer being transitioned into the web client.

What other advice do I have?

Everybody wants to say 10 and I would say it's going to be a 10. I love VSAN and I would say it's probably an 8 and there's room for improvement. It's constantly being worked on and I think it's going to be the storage platform going forward. Colleagues looking into VSAN, I would recommend looking into the VSAN Ready Nodes, they're pre-configured and you can customize your build to whatever you want really, without having to build your own necessarily. We aren't currently using the Ready Nodes, but I could see where a Ready Node would be beneficial for deployment. The time to deploy would be…
                                  Lead Engineer at SynchroNet
                                  Video Review
                                  We don't have to drop half a million on a SAN for all the storage that we may or may not use, and it just eases the pain of a lot of storage. There were bugs, but things have stabilized significantly.

What other advice do I have?

Obviously, it saves rack space and that's something you have to consider. It's an important thing 'cause you got to pay for power, cooling, if you got give him more cabinets cause you got another SAN coming in that's more money for you that you may not be fully utilizing and it really helps with that efficiency. You know, your rack space is doing as much for you as they can because if you have to compute the storage memory, in some cases will view the GPU off load just for us all in a little for you, for your rack, and we have three of the exact same deployments just like on top of each other…
                                  Principal at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  In terms of resiliency and recoverability, with policy-based storage you can decide what level of recoverability and redundancy you want.

What other advice do I have?

I would easily give it a 9, because 10 would be perfect and nothing is perfect. After the next few releases, who knows? Maybe that 10 will happen. For people who are evaluating bringing VSAN into their environment, one of the most important things to do is really get an idea of what the performance the requirements are and what workloads are going to go into that environment. That's best done with an assessment. Right now, VMware partners are providing a assessment service for VSAN. That's a great jumping off point to make sure that the VSAN implementation is going to go as expected and have…
                                  Global Cloud Architect at Tribune Media
                                  Video Review
                                  Its part of the vSphere world, so it looks and feels like any other object that people are used to seeing metrics on. I would like to have snapshots for recovery be part of the core product.

What other advice do I have?

I would certainly give it an 8 and I would split in to two parts. The initial configuration of VSAN, once the systems in place, it manages and runs without much attention and that's where it's really shining at the moment, is once it's in production, it doesn't require a lot of care and feeding. My recommendation is make sure you've got a hardware vendor who's promising you that this equipment that you get is on the HCL, so the compatibility list of what VMware supports and VSAN is important to having a successful deployment. Taking the time to do that and install and build the system…
                                  Senior Manager, Infrastructure and Operations at a agriculture with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Video Review
                                  It works and integrates with other VMware technologies. They should integrate it with replication and SRM, so that it can be heavily adopted.

What other advice do I have?

For our VMUG group, I was trying to set up a lab, and I tried to go with the VSAN for storage purposes. It's a very rock solid product, very robust. Compared to the previous iterations it is very flexible and very strong now. It was a breeze to set up, it didn't take time. The reliability of VSAN is really good, I was able to set it up at four nodes and I purposely took out one node just to see what happens, and it just kept working fine. Looking at VSAN or a different solution, it depends on the use-case really. Someone looking for Oracle database set up on ASN, is not going to first think of…
                                  CEO/CTO at Bay State Health (VertitechIT)
                                  Video Review
                                  We spend less on equivalent storage using VSAN to replace our traditional SAN architecture. They are working on extending VSAN's access outside of its virtual bubbles, which I'm looking forward to.

What other advice do I have?

On one side is a strategic vendor and that's where VMware, Microsoft, in the medical case, Cerner, which is a large application provider. There are four or five vendors that I would consider strategic and these are vendors that we could simply not operate without the function that they provide. So when a vendor's classified as strategic and then we look at the function they provide, there has to be a level of commitment. They must be a market leader. They must have enormous R&D capabilities. They must be flexible. They must interact with our engineers at a peering level, not simply as a…
                                  Director at Cloud Carib
                                  Video Review
                                  We simulated disk, host, and network failures. Virtual SAN had no issues dealing with them.

What other advice do I have?

There's no issues that we have with it so far. We're very happy with it. I would highly recommend Virtual SAN for any demanding application that this running on VMware. We have no have reservations at all with Virtual SAN. We recommend Virtual SAN to anybody was has demanding applications. So a lot of people think that Virtual SAN is a new unproven solution that people might use for testing or development but, what we actually see when we talk with our peers and with what we see with our customers is that people are using it in production and we are using it in production. If it can be used in…
                                  VMware Administrator II at a healthcare company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  I'm able to scale my system for more users by ordering an additional host and over-provisioning.
                                  Director Storage and System Architect at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  It's a cost-effective solution for medium-sized IT organizations because you can start small and then grow as needed. However, it had stability issues during my testing period.

What other advice do I have?

Customer support, the actual technology, how robust or stable it is and the ease of deployment are the criteria too look for when selecting a vendor. I would say that if you’re a medium IT organization and looking for a cost effective solution, VSAN is worthwhile; but, if you’re a bigger environment, I would go with a bigger SAN like EMC, NetApp, and IBM.
                                  Senior Advisor IT Architecture for Cloud Computing Solutions at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                  We didn't need a special network or any hardware -- just add a new NIC. Backups are not easy, however, as it's distributed storage and you must be careful not to make a host unavailable.

What other advice do I have?

They lose points because its tricky to fully understand.
                                  Cloud Architect Leader at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
                                  We can scale as needed since we're not required to buy an entire monolithic solution up front, though I'd like to see software-based disk-level encryption in the next release.

What other advice do I have?

I would say that the main reason its attractive is that you can grow as you need. The other thing that makes it especially attractive is that from an IO perspective, VSAN has the better ability to perform more efficiently because it operates within the hypervisor. It's VMWare specific so that can be a downside. But for pure VMWare shops, VSAN is the best option in my opinion.
                                  Network Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We're able to integrate it with vSphere, bringing speed and security to our patient-sensitive data system. And while it's scalable, I've yet to test its stability extensively.

Valuable Features

The integration with other VMware solutions, such as vSphere, is valuable for us. It's also fast -- faster than hybrid and all-flash setups. Three-host configuration provides security.

Improvements to My Organization

I think that it brings speed and security as we have patient-sensitive data that we need to store.

N/A

I love VMware – it’s allowed us to virtualize our server infrastructure, but I haven’t tested the stability of VSAN extensively yet.

From what I’ve seen it’s extremely scalable.

VMware is top notch, but I can’t evaluate yet for VSAN.

Other Advice

You should look at scalability and integration withing the vSphere environment.
                                  IT Manager with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We have three hosts in a single cluster that provides us centralized storage with High Availability, although the hardware compatibility list should be expanded.

Valuable Features

It's very simple to use. It work on commoditized hardware. It provides centralized storage.

Improvements to My Organization

It's lowered our storage costs while still maintaining High Availability and with easy installation.

Room for Improvement

Expand the hardware compatibility list – it's pretty short. Definitely also the diagnostic and monitoring could be improved. That stuff is still very new.

Use of Solution

We have been using it since it came out in March 2015.

So far so good.

Unsure – all I know is what I read, if it does what it says it does I'm very impressed.

Very good – quality support.

We have three hosts in a cluster, and it was…
                                  User at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  It's fast, software designed storage that costs less than an all-flash array. We're expecting some improvements, but at the moment you have to store every object on multiple disks to protect it.

What other advice do I have?

I think you should try it – its really stable and valuable and help to drill your costs down.
                                  Storage and Virtualization Engineer at a university with 501-1,000 employees
                                  As older ESXi hosts are phased out, you can replace them with vSAN and add more nodes, although it lacks deduplication features.

What other advice do I have?

It feels forward thinking and I can see this as big game changer, which is exciting, but it's only one-and-a-half-years old -- a toddler. There are some minor things wrong, but it's potential value could far overshadow it curent weaknesses, Currently we don’t have NSX, and that could be a pivotal thing, but we don’t have that licensing yet.
                                  Virtualization & Storage Administrator at Franklin University
                                  You can buy x86 servers as needed and scale up from there instead of buying more arrays and shelves than needed, although there are gaps in the management platforms.
                                  Senior Field Support Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We now have the ability to virtualize across multiple data centers and to consolidate more workloads on different types of storage.

What other advice do I have?

Try it and evaluate it – it's not a fit for every company, but you should at least do an evaluation to see if it is a fit.
                                  Solutions Architect at Sequel Data Systems
                                  It integrates with other commonly-used VMware tools, but it lacks deduplication and wastes a lot of mass when striping across multiple nodes and vSphere hosts.

What other advice do I have?

It loses points because it lacks lots of performance and deduplication abilities that competitors have.
                                  IT Infrastructure Manager at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  As a hospital, our doctors are able to access their patient data quickly using the solution. However, as we were early adopters, tech support had difficulty with our Cisco hardware.

Valuable Features

It's easy to implement. It performs very well.

Improvements to My Organization

The total cost of ownership, as it's really cheap for us and we have budgetary constraints. Plus, as we're a hospital, doctors need to access their patient data quickly, which VSAN allows them to do.

We haven’t had an issue and we've been using it for about six months now.

I find it’s easy to scale, so if you need 100 more VMs, you know the amount of users per node, and you know exactly how much it’s going to cost you to scale up.

Never had an issue. The only thing is that as we were early adopters, we found tech support was difficult to deal with because our hardware was Cisco, and they didn’t know…
                                  IT Specialist at a retailer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Even as we anticipate an increase in the number of users, it's allowed us to simplify our infrastructure, although it currently has no data deduplication feature.

What other advice do I have?

We normally use Gartner as a source, as well as some testing and a POC. The POC was the most important criteria, so my advice would be to do that before committing the resources.
                                  Director Of IT Infrastructure and Operations at a university with 501-1,000 employees
                                  Storage is the most important element of our infrastructure, and this solution provides us stability and high performance. The supported-hardware list is too narrow, however.

What other advice do I have?

It’s a good solution – the trend is going towards converged infrastructure. It's all policy based – you can set general policy and then trust VSAN to do everything else.
                                  VMware Pre-Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  MSP
                                  For my customers who must balance capital and operational budgets, it allows them to buy only what they need now and then grow as needed. However, not having VRealize detracts from its usability.

What other advice do I have?

I have a lot of confidence in it, but it’s a challenge to convince customers because they’re intrigued but don’t want to take the steps. All the specs and concept of having storage within servers is interesting to customers, but not ready to pull trigger. If we can sell more with Horizon, then licenses included for pricing, and must refresh hosts anyways.
                                  Technology Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
                                  With it, we're now able to roll out new solutions in less time, although it needs to allow for enough customization and individualization for specific user requirements.

What other advice do I have?

It's not enterprise class yet because it's a new iteration and a work in progress. Just make sure it fits and meets your requirements.
                                  Systems Engineer at a media company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  We've gotten rid of shared storage, which is a better solution than an all-flash array. I've heard, however, that maintenance of it causes stability issues.

What other advice do I have?

Support is up there in the top five things to look at. If you can call, have online communities, easy access to articles. I would also add that if you can get through to someone who has deep knowledge of the product quickly. Stability, the issue that we have run into is that they are fly-by-night brand new startups and you can get stranded without support. You need to vet the company, they need to be around in a few weeks to help you. Also, peer reviews are very important – invaluable. Salesmen will tell you everything, we look at whitepapers and vendor supplied information. Google is your…
                                  IT Administrator and Sr. VMware Engineer at a retailer with 501-1,000 employees
                                  It supports two architectures (hybrid and All-Flash), which is useful for all virtualized applications, including business-critical applications.
                                  Originally posted in Spanish at https://www.rhpware.com/2015/02/introduccion-vmware... The second generation of Virtual SAN is the vSphere 6.0 that comes with sharing the same version number. While the jump from version 1.0 (vSphere 5.5) 6.0 to change really worth it occurred, as this second-generation converged storage integrated into the VMware hypervisor significantly increases performance and features that are based on a much higher performance and increased workloads scale business level, including business-critical applications and Tier 1 capital. Virtual SAN 6.0 delivers a new architecture based entirely on Flash to deliver high performance and predictable response times below one millisecond in almost all business critical applications level. This is also achieved because in…
                                  Cloud consultant at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                  It gives us the ability to manage capacity and performance in a linear fashion, but management (dashboard, alerts, monitoring) needs improvement.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you size correctly when you do the initial implementation.
                                  Practice Manager - Cloud, Automation & DevOps at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                  VMware I/O Analyser Fling vs. Iometer
                                  Originally posted at vcdx133.com. I previously posted about my “Baby Dragon Triplets” VSAN Home Lab that I recently built. One of the design requirements was to meet 5,000 IOPS @ 4K 50/50 R/W, 100% Random, which from the performance testing below has been met. The performance testing was executed with two tools VMware I/O Analyser Fling – Excellent tool that collects esxtop data as well; if you need fast and easy storage performance testing, keep this in your toolkit. Iometer configured as per the VMware 2M IOPS with VSAN announcement Iometer – Test configuration Iometer – Results VMware I/O Analyser – Test configuration VMware I/O Analyser – Results Observations The realistic Iometer results were significantly lower compared to the same settings with the VMware I/O…
                                  Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
                                  VMware Virtual SAN vs. EMC ScaleIO and conventional storage arrays
                                  Software-defined and hyper-converged storage solutions are now a viable alternative to conventional storage arrays so let’s take a quick look at how two of the most popular solutions compare – VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN) and EMC ScaleIO: Architecture On vSphere this is an easy win for VMware as VSAN is delivered using kernel modules which provides the shortest path for the IO, has per Virtual Machine policy based management and is tightly integrated with vCenter and Horizon View. ScaleIO is delivered as Virtual Machines, which is not likely to be as efficient, and is managed separately from the hypervisor – on all other platforms ScaleIO is delivered as lightweight software components not Virtual Machines. VSAN also has the advantage of being built by the hypervisor vendor, but of…
                                  Solutions Architect with 51-200 employees
                                  The solution is simple to manage but redirect-on-write snapshots is needed
                                  Over the past decade VMware has changed the way IT is provisioned through the use of Virtual Machines, but if we want a truly Software-Defined Data Centre we also need to virtualise the storage and the network. For storage virtualisation VMware has introduced Virtual SAN and Virtual Volumes (expected to be available in 2015), and for network virtualisation NSX. In this, the first of a three part series, we will take a look at Virtual SAN (VSAN). So why VSAN? Large Data Centres, built by the likes of Amazon, Google and Facebook, utilise commodity compute, storage and networking hardware (that scale-out rather than scale-up) and a proprietary software layer to massively drive down costs. The economics of IT hardware tend to be the inverse of economies of scale (i.e. the smaller the…
                                  Product Categories
                                  Hyper-Converged (HCI)
                                  Download our free VMware vSAN Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.