Windows Server Reviews

Filter by:Reset all filters
industry
rating
Andrew S. Baker (ASB)
Cybersecurity & IT Professional (VirtualCIO) at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Nov 23 2017

What is most valuable?

Hyper-V and the updated PowerShell are among the best features that I have taken advantage of.

How has it helped my organization?

I have been able to support more VMs on Windows 2016 than on 2012 R2, using the same hardware. Additionally, the improvements in live migrations have been a plus in… more»

What needs improvement?

Some of the elements of the Windows Server UI from 2012 R2 are better than what is found in 2016, especially the patch management. While it is nice to have the… more»

Pay close attention to the licensing, as there is a focus on core licensing under Windows 2016.

Not applicable.

What other advice do I have?

Windows 2016 continues the trend of solid, stable, high-performing Windows Server products from Microsoft.

None.
User with 1,001-5,000 employees
May 27 2019

What is most valuable?

We like all of the features connected with sharing resources, typical of a Hyper-V cluster manager. Several of these further stand out, including: * The ability to Hot Add resources to the VM. * The ability to work on the physical server without disconnecting services. * Provides workspaces for the entire organization with fewer resources.

How has it helped my organization?

The organization spent a lot of money buying a large number of physical machines, which made up the workspace. With a physical machine, it is easy to incur damage with hardware faults, such as the loss of a disk or another component. With a cluster environment, we obtain an HA solution.

What needs improvement?

One area that needs improvement is the management console. It seems very easy to use but it is not as powerful as those of other vendors, such as VMware. Their solution allows for operation in a more granular and simpler way. For example, there is a wizard to migrate a VM from one node to another, or from one datastore to another.
Find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Red Hat, CentOS and others in Operating Systems (OS) for Business. Updated: September 2019.
371,355 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Luis (Abe) Ibrahim Delgado Pláter
User
Aug 17 2019

What do you think of Windows Server?

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the deployment of virtual machines on Hyper-V.

How has it helped my organization?

We moved from having more than twelve physical servers to only five, reducing costs and improving the infrastructure during the process.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is Hyper-V Live Migration for Critical applications.

What needs improvement?

It would be great to have support for direct USB recognition for the virtual machines. This will allow us to easily move files from a USB drive connected to our host to one of our VM's without having to mount and share a drive trough the network to move the files.

We have been using this solution for five years.

Articles

User Assessments By Topic About Windows Server

371,355 professionals have used our research since 2012.

Windows Server Questions

What is Windows Server?

Windows Server 2016 is the most cloud-ready server Microsoft has ever built and includes a lot of technology that was inspired from our experience in the public cloud. It has big improvements in security, software-defined infrastructure and technologies to help developers build modern microservice-based applications, in the cloud or on-site.

Windows Server customers

Rakuten, Rackspace, Tyco

BUYER'S GUIDE
Download our free Operating Systems (OS) for Business Report and find out what your peers are saying about Microsoft, Red Hat, CentOS, and more!