AlgoSec Review

Simplifies configuration and rule management

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for the management of firewalls on a client with a multi-vendor landscape and a low maturity level in terms of security operations and mechanisms. The AlgoSec tool supported the necessary transformation we were helping the client with, centralizing and simplifying the management of all firewalls in several sites across the globe.

How has it helped my organization?

AlgoSec is a powerful firewall management tool. I have supported a client implementing the firewall analyzer in an environment with several firewall vendors and poor management. The implementation went smoothly, with good support from the AlgoSec team. However, the configuration was tricky due to the maturity of the client and the ‘messy’ situation, and the internal know-how available regarding what was implemented on the multiple sites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that the tool is capable of simplifying firewall management and configuration in an automated fashion. Additionally, the fact that it is also possible to implement a FW management workflow clearly supports the improvement of the 'way of working' and operation of the FW environment.

What needs improvement?

The network mapping interface could be improved in the next version. In a complex landscape, with several nodes/equipment, it can be somewhat more difficult to properly visualize the network map. It requires several zoom-in and zoom-out operations, and it is not so visually appealing. Nevertheless, it is still a valuable feature and was highly used by my team.

We have been using this solution for four months.

We evaluated other options before choosing this solution including Skybox and Palo Alto Panorama.

What other advice do I have?

Do not underestimate the configuration effort, especially on a more complex landscape.

Firewall Security Management
More AlgoSec reviews from users
...who compared it with FireMon
Learn what your peers think about AlgoSec. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,966 professionals have used our research since 2012.