Arcserve UDP Review

Offers good data protection functionalities and enables us to backup the virtual server

What is our primary use case?

We were using the hybrid model of this solution but now we're using the on-prem model. We switched to on-prem mainly because of the costs and that it's reachable when something happens. We use this solution to backup the virtual server.

What is most valuable?

The data protection functionality is the most valuable feature of this solution.

What needs improvement?

It should be easier to switch between backup locations. We have multiple data storage locations and sometimes one of those storages need to be replaced. It would be nice if they made it easier to reconfigure the backup configuration.

I would like to see an integrated solution from Arcseve to replicate it to the Azure environment of Arcserve itself, an environment set up by Arcserve ready to connect to the UDP software. It should be a plug and play to replicate the data to an Azure of Arcserve itself.

I have been using Arcserve for four years.

It is pretty stable. In the past, we had some issues with a different version in which we had to eventually shut down the servers in the production environment. Now, we don't have any issues with it.

Scalability depends on the configuration. Only I use this solution in my company because I'm the only one in my company who is responsible for the backup and restore functionality. I am also the only one who maintains it.

Their technical support is excellent. They always understand what the problem is.

The initial setup was straightforward. It took around two or three hours.

I deployed it myself.

We only have the maintenance of three standard UDP licenses. Each license is 50 Euro. There are some additional costs for the storage and software but it has nothing to do with the UDP.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Think better of the configuration before shutting off the whole backup environment because when it's running for a couple of months or years it's difficult to change the data storage location and configuration. It would be nice to have more of a whitepaper from Arcserve with respect to setting up certain environments.