Automic Workload Automation Review

In our fast-paced environment, the ability to dynamically create groups, schedules, and workflows is crucial

What is our primary use case?

We use it for multiple system automation and file transfers to secure POS networks.

How has it helped my organization?

The speed in which data is collected form all POS terminals has changed the way our industry has started analyzing how to schedule showtimes, drive advertisements, and change concession pricing. IT is no longer a quarterly process but something that the business can change within 24 hours.

What is most valuable?

The ability the system has to dynamically create groups, schedules, and workflows is crucial to AMC. In a fast-paced, agile environment, the teams at AMC are very lean. Monitoring and maintaining of all the approximately 2,000,000 executions of Automic jobs are managed by only three employees. The system has been designed to be as dynamic and versatile as the business processes and teams that own them.

What needs improvement?

The direction in which the UI is going is concerning to me. It does not offer the security context we would need to implement future versions. While I see benefit in the Web UI, the security it would lack in separating a user's experience from an administrator's experience is an issue for us. MFA functionality is required since we're dealing with connectivity to the POS and for PCI/SOX compliance.

Another area for improvement would be SQL performance. While tracing SQL traffic, we noticed a lot of commands that cause contention/locks as well as forced waits. The efficiency of the SQL could be greatly improved (in some cases by simply replacing nested Selects and using NOLOCK hints).

Finally, re-evaluating the security model that the ECC uses would be very beneficial. While granularity is very powerful, some intelligence around it is the only way it is manageable. I should be able to grant a user access to execute a job without having to directly list every include, prompt set, output scan, script, login, etc. An inherited read for execution purposes would accomplish the same results without making the admin list every single object every time, as well as deny the user the ability to edit.

More than five years.

There have been some issues with performance when there is slowness with database resources. We have also discovered issues with some objects if file size/count is high. I believe a patch has been created for that though.

We do not have any scalability issues.

Technical support is amazing. They always follow through and are extremely personable. They help as much as they can, and have no problem asking others on their team for help to make sure the right answer is given.

We did not have a previous solution.

The initial setup was very straightforward. The consulting team for implementation was great to work with and taught us the system very well.

The team at Automic are great with understanding your needs as a business. They are always willing to go the extra mile to make sure the solution works for you. This is not only something they do in their software but also in their licensing.

We looked at BMC, Tidal Software, ORSYP, and ActiveBatch.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise anyone purchasing this product to do the architecture work ahead of implementation. While it is easy to move objects between non-prod and prod or other environments, if you put the work up-front into designing how to move things or manage outages, etc., it makes your world a lot easier.