Azure Backup Review

It has a good user interface and is helpful in reducing the downtime

What is our primary use case?

I have created a virtual machine that I use as a testbed to validate the Azure backup and restore functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

It is mainly used for backups, which are a key part of any organization's structure. Azure Backup has definitely helped us to reduce the downtime. Whenever something goes wrong, we can fix and restart it within no time. Azure Backup has increased the productivity of our connection, and on top of that, it has helped to reduce the operating cost of our organization.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is easy to create a backup by using Azure Backup.

It also has a good user interface and nice features for sending notifications when any backup fails or there is a change in the status of virtual machines.

What needs improvement?

I once tried restoring a Linux environment, and the size of the Linux VM or the data disk was really huge. It took a really long time to restore the environment and send the data from the storage to the disk. It took around 25 to 30 minutes, which was much longer than I anticipated. They can improve the duration of such restore operations.

In the next release, it would also be good if they could reduce the duration for transferring the data from their storage to the actual storage while creating a virtual machine. They can reduce the duration or increase the data transfer rate.

I have been using Azure Backup for the last ten months.

It is really stable. There were no problems with its stability.

Its scalability is very good.

I have interacted with their technical support. I have no complaints. They are neither so good nor so bad.

I previously used an Oracle solution and worked extensively with Oracle Database. The way to take a backup and do everything else was different from Azure Backup.

The initial setup was easy. To install it, you just choose an agent, and that agent is automatically deployed.

It is a bit costly initially, but it is well worth it in the long run, especially for fighting against a number of threats, such as ransomware, which the IT industry is facing.

What other advice do I have?

It is really a valuable product. Most of the organizations nowadays, especially in North America, prefer Microsoft products over the Linux environment. There are, however, some people who use the Linux environment as well.

Overall, I would rate Azure Backup an eight out of ten. It meets the day-to-day requirements of most of the IT people, and it can be automated.

Microsoft Azure