Azure Backup Overview

Azure Backup is the #19 ranked solution in our list of best Backup and Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: Azure Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is Azure Backup?

Data is the heart of any organization and backing up this data is a key part of a business strategy. Azure Backup is a scalable solution with zero capital investment and minimal operational expense. With the optional integration with System Center Data Protection Manager, you can protect advanced workloads running in your datacenter in VMs or on physical servers.

Azure Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the Azure Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: January 2021

Azure Backup Customers

Russell Reynolds Associates, Somerset County Council, Kardem, PCL Construction

Azure Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Azure Backup pricing:
  • "Support payment works by the level of partnership and the number of shares."
  • "The pricing of this solution is ok, but I'm expecting that the price will decrease in the future."
  • "We are paying about $100,000 USD per year, just for a couple of servers."
  • "It is a bit costly initially, but it is well worth it in the long run, especially for fighting against a number of threats, such as ransomware, which the IT industry is facing."

Azure Backup Reviews

SaadeAlkhoury
Managing Director/CIO at Shield Technology Programs
Jan 17, 2020
Secure, good connectivity, easy to scale, and gives our clients peace of mind

What is our primary use case?

Currently, I have Many Azure VMs for clients, and We are doing the backup, disaster recovery, and tactical replication for all of them. We install the backup stack for our clients. We explain the situation and have our technical team complete the installation for the clients. With set up managed retention using the backup policy. We do retention, and we do security. The level of security is high on it. Most of our clients used to have Mac storage in all of their offices, such as NAS (network-attached storage) by 20, or 30 terabytes. We have informed our clients, rather than keep their storage… more »

• "One of the most valuable features is security and connectivity to the data."
  • "We would like to see some kind of notification given to the user that a file was not synchronized well or what may have happened."

What other advice do I have?

Before doing a backup or getting any cloud solutions, you must first check the environment and the systems. Most companies will have computers in a workgroup. Each must have its own domain and Active Directory. You will have to do the know-how technologies inside the company for the basic configuration. Then they can choose and start. You know longer have to use storage that will stay inside the office because anyone can unplug it and take it with them. With a cloud solution, you can specify which MAC address, user, environment, or region can get the data from the server. I have been using…
Ayman Elsawi
IT Manager at NOMAC
May 7, 2020
You can sort the data in many ways and at anytime but it is not user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use it to backup on-premise data to Azure. We can backup the whole virtual machine to Azure if we need offsite backup. If you don't have any backup solution on-premise data center, you can rely on Azure Backup to do a backup to Azure, to the cloud. That means from on-premise to cloud backup, for data and virtual machines.

• "First of all, you can schedule a backup for the client. You can schedule it as you like. You can also control the bandwidth, so the backup will not utilize. The internet will depend on the bandwidth."
  • "It doesn't have the option to have a backup from the database. It has backup for the files, folders, and backup only the whole virtual machine. But if I need to do a backup from the Oracle database, from an Exchange server or from SharePoint, this ability isn't there. There is no application backup."

What other advice do I have?

It is easy to configure a solution at any time, from anywhere. I can also restore the data, easily, without any complication. You can implement it in a very short time. The lesson learned in the beginning is that you can implement a solution in a very short time. I would rate it a seven out of ten. It has some good features. You can sort the data in many ways and at anytime. But it is not user-friendly. To be frank, it is not a software and a service. Software and service is easier and not complicated but infrastructure is more complicated. A platform lies somewhere in between. It's a platform…
Learn what your peers think about Azure Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,495 professionals have used our research since 2012.
ITDEVOPS67
IT, DevOPS and Cloud Advisor at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Sep 10, 2019
Easy to deploy and integrates well with cloud services, but the interface needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

Currently, I'm working on a project in a desktop environment where this is one of the solutions that is being used. It is a public-cloud deployment model. We are using this solution to back up VMs and data from our customers.

• "This solution allows me to restore either the VM or the data, depending on what is needed."
  • "The user interface is a little bit confusing and it could be better."

What other advice do I have?

I came from a Unix environment in the past, and I was not really a Microsoft or Windows users. Now, however, I'm more confident with Microsoft products. I worked for HPE for a long time in a private cloud environment, and I really appreciate services that are well-integrated with each other and can be used right away, without having a great deal of Microsoft experience. There are some services that different customers do not require, but everybody needs to have a backup solution as a prerequisite, whether they operate on-premises on in the cloud. This is a simple backup solution. To…
Muzammil Ahmed Mohammed
Sr. IT Operations Engineer at AlGosaibi Group
May 1, 2020
Provides secure and reliable disaster recovery, but the technical support need improvement

What is our primary use case?

We use Azure Backup as part of our disaster recovery solution. If there is a problem in the entire building then we can restore our data from over the cloud.

• "Azure Backup is good because it is entirely cloud-based, which means that you can be 99.9% sure that your backup is safe."
  • "The compression ratio of the backup data should be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is that if you can afford it, then I would highly recommend it because the service provides very good value. The software is very capable but the information available for support is limited. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
reviewer1289694
Team lead/ Cloud Specialist at a tech company with 11-50 employees
Feb 18, 2020
A stable solution that assists us with transitioning clients from on-premises to the cloud

What is our primary use case?

We are a Microsoft reseller for everything that has to do with the cloud and migrating from on-premises infrastructure. Azure Backup is one of the solutions that we implement for our clients. Our primary use case is to assist schools with moving their on-premises workloads to the cloud. We use the backup facility as it's provided by the platform to help them move everything they run on VMware, Hyper-V, or physical servers.

• "The fact that Azure Backup is integrated is one of its biggest advantages."
  • "In the next release, I would like to see the ability to back up to different cloud providers."

What other advice do I have?

To this point, I have not run across any issues that are blocking. My advice to anybody who is considering this solution is to go ahead and use it. It works and it's a good service on the platform. It is just one of the building blocks that we use every day on Azure, so I can't see any reason to move to another one. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
reviewer1317759
Cloud Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
Oct 6, 2020
It has a good user interface and is helpful in reducing the downtime

What is our primary use case?

I have created a virtual machine that I use as a testbed to validate the Azure backup and restore functionality.

• "The feature that I have found the most valuable is that it is easy to create a backup by using Azure Backup. It also has a good user interface and nice features for sending notifications when any backup fails or there is a change in the status of virtual machines."
  • "I once tried restoring a Linux environment, and the size of the Linux VM or the data disk was really huge. It took a really long time to restore the environment and send the data from the storage to the disk. It took around 25 to 30 minutes, which was much longer than I anticipated. They can improve the duration of such restore operations. In the next release, it would also be good if they could reduce the duration for transferring the data from their storage to the actual storage while creating a virtual machine. They can reduce the duration or increase the data transfer rate."

What other advice do I have?

It is really a valuable product. Most of the organizations nowadays, especially in North America, prefer Microsoft products over the Linux environment. There are, however, some people who use the Linux environment as well. Overall, I would rate Azure Backup an eight out of ten. It meets the day-to-day requirements of most of the IT people, and it can be automated.
reviewer1310184
Senior System Specialist at a computer software company with 501-1,000 employees
Mar 23, 2020
Simple to configure and easy to use

What is our primary use case?

Our customers have VMs on their test environment that are backed up with Azure Backup for short retention, around one month. They need a machine that does not need integration with backup over BPE.

• "It's very simple to configure which is very useful. It's not complex to configure it."
  • "To make it a ten, it should have the ability to extend the retention and to perform a copy of the data outside of the subscription - with no additional costs."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Azure an eight out of ten. To make it a ten, it should have the ability to extend the retention and to perform a copy of the data outside of the subscription - with no additional costs. There is a cost for downloading data on Azure or on-prem. If I would like to have a copy on-prem I need to pay more for the data. Azure should modify its policies. I am a consultant. We discuss what the customer is looking for and we'll recommend this solution based on their environment. Azure is easy and simple to configure. It's easy to use. If there are other requirements, I would recommend…
reviewer1352610
IT Support at a financial services firm with 51-200 employees
Jul 5, 2020
Stable, with has good backup capabilities, but isn't user friendly

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for its backup functionality. It's the number one reason we utilize the product.

• "The best aspect of the solution is its backup functionality."
  • "The solution is quite technical. I wouldn't describe it as user friendly. It could be simplified a lot to make it more accessible to the average user."

What other advice do I have?

We are simply using the solution as a customer. We don't have any professional affiliation with Azure. We simply use a lot of Microsoft products, including its OS and Office suite. We have a site where do backups, but we do not do anything on a big scale on the cloud. I'm not sure of which version of the solution we're using. I'd recommend the solution to other organizations to try. It's a very good solution. I'd rate the solution seven out of ten. The product should be more non-technical. If it as more user-friendly, I would rate it higher.
See 7 more Azure Backup Reviews
Download our free Azure Backup Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.