Azure Backup Review

Cost-effective and reliable with good back-up features

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery.

What is most valuable?

The solution is cost-effective.

The backup features are very useful.

The solution overall is very reliable.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs improvement and it doesn't offer as many features as other third-party backup solutions.

The solution is still in its infancy; it's not a mature product yet.

The stability of the solution is good.

The scalability of the solution is good.

As Microsoft partners, we get support when we need it. We've been satisfied with them so far.

Previously we were using Windows Network Backup as well as Veeam. Right now, we are testing Azure.

The initial setup is pretty easy. You literally load an agent from the servers to whatever machines you want to backup. It's pretty intuitive when you go into Azure to set it up. Deployment times depend on the bandwidth, and in South Africa, that can vary. It might take up to a day or so. Once you do your full backup, you're only doing incremental backups going forward, so it's just the initial setup and backup that might take a while.

I handled the implementation myself.

What other advice do I have?

We're Microsoft partners.

We had issues before where there were no Azure Data Centers in South Africa. From a compliance point of view, backing up to outside the country was a bit of an issue. Now Microsoft has two data centers in South Africa, so it is no longer a problem.

I'd recommend the solution to others, but only if they have decent and reliable bandwidth. They should also make sure their alerts and monitoring are all set up to notify if the backups fail or succeed.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

More Azure Backup reviews from users
...who work at a Energy/Utilities Company
...who compared it with Veeam Backup & Replication
Learn what your peers think about Azure Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
533,638 professionals have used our research since 2012.