BigFix Review

A stable, scalable, and straightforward product that provides the flexibility to retrieve custom data

What is our primary use case?

We are an MSP, and we use this solution for our customers as well as for our company.

I use BigFix for everything. I use it for patch management, software distribution, OS deployment, server automation, and inventory and asset management.

What is most valuable?

BigFix is a great product. The flexibility of putting together your own relevance and retrieving custom data from any one of your agents is a valuable feature. It is one of my favorite features because if a boss asks me, "How many of these devices do we have?", I can put together a report in two seconds.

What needs improvement?

The only thing that I don't like about BigFix is that it does not support other devices such as printer firmware, router firmware, and things like that. I will be happy if I can control everything and get everything else in there, even if it is just a line item.

They can do some enhancements to the Web UI. I am trying to get customers to be able to manage their environment by using Web UI, and it would be good if we can delete endpoints by using Web UI. We should also be able to generate Excel content or data tables from the Web UI without having to go to the console. It is small stuff, and it drives me crazy that I have to go to another console to do these things.

I have been using this solution for years.

It is a pretty stable product. There are problems only if you mess up during the installation. If you do it right, then everything is fine.

It is scalable. It is able to handle up to 250,000 devices. So, you should be fine with anything under that.

I work with all kinds of customers. I have small customers with 30 endpoints, and I also have a couple of big customers with 30,000 or 40,000 endpoints.

It has been great since it became HCL.

I know how to use them all. I have used Asterisk and other solutions, but I got used to BigFix. BigFix is pretty straightforward.

Its initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise taking some of the training so that you can use the product to the fullest potential. It is a huge and flexible product, and you can take advantage of a lot of stuff if you know how to do it. If you don't know, you're never going to take advantage of it.

I would rate BigFix a ten out of ten.

More BigFix reviews from users
...who work at a University
...who compared it with SCCM
Learn what your peers think about BigFix. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.