BigFix Review

What is most valuable?

I believe that the agent on the endpoint is very powerful. It can do a lot. It can patch, it can get information on the asset, and it's just a very powerful tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps maintain our environment, so all of our systems are patched and up to date. It also helps provide security settings to the endpoints as well. We can also push out applications and different settings.

What needs improvement?

They're actually adding some of the features that I wanted, such as detecting, which allows us to fix things remotely. If there's a security issue, we could actually stop the security issue in its tracks. I think they need to polish up a little bit, and it seems like IBM is now finally starting to invest money into the solution. I think that's going to help its brand name.

The product is very scalable, but it can also be very complex. If you don't set things up right then you could have problems. You just need to know what you're doing.

Technical support has sometimes been very good, and sometimes it's been not so good. It just depends. I would say that in tier one sometimes they know, sometimes they don't, but then once you go up to tier two or tier three they're definitely experts in their field.

Previously we were using the Microsoft solution, Windows Software Update Services. That's a very all or none solution which is not as granular. Regarding BigFix, I like that I can push out updates to systems within their patch window and make sure that they're complete and done within that patch window.

The setup could be simple or it could be complex. It depends on your environment.