BigFix Review

Tremendously reduced the amount of work that we had to do on each server in a centralized manner

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is for endpoint management.

How has it helped my organization?

Prior to BigFix we used Altiris, which was distributed. We had to manage multiple servers, and duplicate the tasks that we did on each server. BigFix tremendously reduced the amount of work that we had to do on each server in a centralized manner. We could minimize the work that we had to do, and we had a lot more control over the tasks and what machines they ran on.

It has helped to reduce help desk calls by 60-70%. Using the self-service portal allows our users a lot of access to fix their own problems as far as errors, as well as policies that auto-resolve issues as they come up without the user even knowing.

Finally, it has helped us to avoid compliance fines in the tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. We've used it for software audits numerous times and saved significant amounts of money with being able to clearly identify what machines have what software, then verify that we're licensed for the software that we have.

What is most valuable?

Power to query anything on the machine servers and problem resolution is where we find a lot of value in being able to turn around and find a fix, and identify machines that are having an issue, and being able to resolve that.

I believe that the peer to peer file transfers feature will speed up the time to get files to individual machines. I haven't used it myself, but I think that as far as clients go, instead of having to use one server for that, being able to get that data from their clients will be a lot faster and more efficient.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see for it to be a little easier for new users to be able to learn and create relevant statements. In my opinion, that's the hardest part for bringing on new people that haven't had BigFix experience. Being able to have easier ways to build relevance in ActionScript would be the biggest improvement I'd like to see.

It's very stable. There's minimal maintenance on the server infrastructure itself.

It's very scalable. We've had mergers that have come in and put a relay out there, and immediately get the information back for their clients. It's very scalable, we don't have to worry about putting too much burden on our other servers.

Their technical support is very good.

We switched to BigFix mainly because of scalability and for centralizing the work that we did, rather than being distributed. From what I know of SCCM, and the little that I've used it, the granularity that relevance an ActionScript allows you over the endpoint, and the information coming back from the endpoint is fairly significant compared to the work that you would have to do to script all that out in SCCM to get that information back.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. Not a ten because of the training aspect of getting new users up and going on the technology. That would be the only downfall because it does take quite a bit of time to train new users. As far as the power, it's by far the best.

If you're considering BigFix look at the power that it allows you to have visibility into your system. If you don't have visibility into your systems, it takes a lot longer to get something resolved. Whereas if you can instantly get that information back from your client that's having a problem, being able to know that that issue needs to get fixed on that client's machine and being able to fix it instantly, could save you hundreds of hours.