Broadcom Service Virtualization Review

I like the support to build modular test cases using reusable blocks.

What is most valuable?

It provides for automated testing of applications, including the following features:

• Wide technology support (SOAP/REST web services, message queues, web UI using Selenium, database queries);
  • Support to build modular test cases using reusable blocks (called sub-processes in DevTest);
  • Extensibility using Java;
  • Integration with Jenkins continuous integration tool; and
  • Detailed test execution reports.

How has it helped my organization?

We've already created and switched over 10,000 test cases from manual to automated execution. Our QA team can now focus more on complex manual test cases.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see a completely web-oriented automated test case design (currently need to use desktop application called DevTest Workstation). I'd also like to see IntelliSense-like functionality for custom scripting, as well as improvements to reports for test cases using datasets to quickly point to/locate results for specific data iteration.

I've used it for one year.

We experienced some minor issues, but they've been fixed in the current release.

Very good, as support person is usually trying to do even more than expected. There’s also a web site by CA called Communities where product users can help each other.

I’ve used HP QTP/UFT tool for other clients, specifically for automated GUI-based testing of desktop applications (.NET/WPF, Stingray, Java Swing). I can’t directly answer question about choosing CA DevTest as I was not in the tool decision group for current clients, but it’s very suitable for SOAP, REST, JMS, DB testing. CA DevTest would not be suitable for GUI-based testing of desktop applications which our current client does not need.

The initial set-up was not complicated thanks to the detailed documentation available.

We used an in-house team with occasional help from the vendor support team.

What other advice do I have?

I believe this product will meet your expectations if you’re looking for automated testing solution for any of the supported technologies. It also offers other major functionalities such as CAI for transaction recording and automated generation of test cases and virtual services which we’re planning to use.

More Broadcom Service Virtualization reviews from users