CA Clarity PPM Review

It gives us a view of where our project-management pain points are. If you're a basic user, the initial setup can be straightforward. But if you're exploiting it to the max, setup is complex.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspects of PPM are the project management modules and the visibility that it offers within them.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a view of where our project-management pain points are. Do we have enough resources? Where are our costs going? Are we spending too much internally, or should we be outsourcing?

What needs improvement?

The tool itself is comprehensive, but it's missing input from people like me. People need to be taught how to use it. Users are trying to teach themselves instead of learning effectively. So the education and training are what it’s missing.

We've had no issues with deployment.

From my experience, it's stable, as proven by its pretty large user base who agree on this.

It’s 100% scalable. It could be used in a small company and very large, equally effective and equally powerful.

Because it’s comprehensive, I only know that it's the best-practice solution. If we're using CA PPM, we're doing best practices.

If you're a basic user, the initial setup can be straightforward. But if you're exploiting it to the max, setup is complex -- and unwise. It would be like driving an expensive sports car and not knowing how to drive it.

What other advice do I have?

If you are going to buy it, you should understand its usage, and make sure you appreciate how to exploit it because it’s not cheap and you’d be wasting your money if you won’t exploit it. Some organizations underutilize it, and I ask people why they bought it if they don’t exploit it.