CA Clarity PPM Review

We can now report projects to all stakeholders in the same format with good information.

Valuable Features

The most valuable for me is the opportunity to have a single tool to manager my entire projects portfolio. It is where I can see more value, because I can rate my projects, compare them. We can use a process based on PMI guides, because the solution supports it’s best practices, as lessons learned, change management, risks, baselines, etc.

We use CA PPMs resources to have the only version of the truth on a single path. Before CA PPM, each project was reported and managed with different rules, formats, etc. With the use of the tool, we could centralize, define KPIs, reports and manage better our portfolio. Besides, the SaaS license is a very good feature, because we enjoy the security of CA.COM with 100% of availability.

We use almost all features of the tool: baselines, change management requests, registration and search of lessons learned, and we developed our own KPIs dashboard.

Improvements to My Organization

In the past we had to deal with a lot of spreadsheets and power point presentations with different formats and with no vision if it was real project information. Nowadays, we have all managerial projects information into CA PPM solution, managed and administrated by planners and PMO roles. We can now report projects to all stakeholders in the same format with good information, besides having a unique and trustworthy repository.

Room for Improvement

Now, I have more knowledge about it, but in the beginning it was a little bit difficult to get used to its navigability, and end-users needs more help to get used to it. I miss the lack of integration between data, for exemple, between projects and portfolio information, but I think it was a problem of the implementation instead the solution.

Business Analytics information (a BI solution) with KPIs and dashboards and the possibility to expand these with custom data. It would be good to have more intuitive navigation.

Use of Solution

I've been using it since 2014.

We use the solution as SaaS and it is always available.

We have contact with a CA company in Brazil, and simple questions are solved in time, but we have old questions that we couldn’t solve until now and it’s difficult to discuss as some issues are more complex with them. For example, reports with information and pictures. It’s a issue for us.

The implementation was simple and straightforward, even though we implemented it as a service. We had a six month project before the go-live. In this time, we configured some processes and learned to understand the mechanisms of the tool and trained end-users.

Implementation Team

We implemented the tool with a CA partner, Deloitte. My advice is to have at least one senior expert of the tool in the team. We didn’t have that and I think if we had, today we would be facing fewer problems. It is important to know about issues and details about the tool to design a better implementation.

Other Solutions Considered

We evaluated four distinct solutions, and in the requirements/commercial negotiation, my company choose CA PPM.

Other Advice

I strongly recommend that you have your project and portfolio management process defined and look for a senior consultant expert in CA PPM.