CA Clarity PPM Review

We use it to integrate IT with our marketing, sales, operations, and other business areas.

What is most valuable?

We've used this solution as an enterprise tool. It allowed us to bring organizations together for communication, planning, and cost. Outside of our IT department, we are integrated heavily with our marketing areas, both on the wireless and the wireline side. That includes marketing, sales, operations, products, new business development, and networking. All those areas come together and are able to communicate within the tool.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution has brought our groups a lot closer together and allowed them to communicate much easier rather than using emails and spreadsheets. Data is now in a central location. It's simplified the funnel process from our business partners, particularly into the IT and the network areas.

It has facilitated a much better ranking process, so that we can focus on what's most important for the business partners. It has helped us align our projects and portfolios to the overall business or IT strategy. It enabled proper management of the funnel and proper ranking and priority setting.

What needs improvement?

I'm really excited about seeing a simplified user interface. We've starting looking at the new UI with version 15. I'm somewhat disappointed in the limitation of functionality there. We'd like to see that expanded much more. As I understand it, you can't use custom attributes in the new UI. That limits what we do, because we have a number of customizations that we've made. I would like to see better performance, as always.

Our environment is fairly stable, but it is not as fast as what we'd like. Stability-wise, it's up and running. There are performance issues. It's obviously not as fast as we'd like it to be. The biggest complaint is too many clicks to get to where you need to be in order to perform a function.

It scaled very well. We have around 6,500 users. We have had no scalability issues.

My group doesn't use technical support as much as our development team, but we seem to have a great relationship with CA.

We actually moved from using three different project management tools into a single system. By the time I came along, the choice was made. There was a pretty heavy process of reviewing vendors with similar products, grading and rating them, and making a decision.

I was involved in the setup. I came from a background of not knowing the product, so it was complex at the time. We've grown to understand it since.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest not customizing it. It makes it much simpler that way and makes upgrades easier. It makes long-term maintenance much easier and allows you to use existing functionality.