CA Clarity PPM Review

Helps us capture market ideas, gather criteria for them, and make better business choices

What is our primary use case?

Portfolio management, to capture market ideas, gather criteria around those ideas, and make business choices on which ones to move forward.

We're in the early stages of implementation, but it seems better than the tool we had before, which was a spreadsheet.

How has it helped my organization?

It makes it easier to compare different opportunities, and to track the metrics though the process. It helps us make better choices of which opportunities to go after and not go after. Then, we can balance that with what we have for staffing, to know what we can actually staff.

It makes it easier to function.

What needs improvement?

More team-based management, and less people-based management; as far as the resource management goes, to do it per team and not per person.

I personally believe that for software development, management at the person level is not the right level to manage. Managing at the team level is a better level.

Still implementing.

To my knowledge, the stability is fine.

Scalability seems fine.

I have not used technical support. Others have. I think we get the support we need.

Our previous solution, a spreedsheet, was complex, and it was difficult for multiple people to use. To make it easier to use, we needed a different tool.

We felt CA was a better fit for our needs.

Getting agreement on how to use the process is complex, because there are a lot of people involved. The tool is highly flexible, so it does take some effort to choose how to use it as well.

CA, Oracle, and one or two others that I don't recall.

What other advice do I have?

Regarding the new UX, I don't have an opinion. I've only used it a little bit so I don't think I'm the best person to ask about the UX itself. I think it's easy to use.

When selecting a vendor functionality is the first criteria, does it do what it needs to do. Certainly trust in the vendor is in that list as well. But the first need is that the tool has to do what we need it to do.

Be clear about how you want to use the tool, what processes you intend to use as you're making your selections.