CA PPM Review

Provides the ability for staff in the entire IT organization to track time against specific investments.

What is most valuable?

PPM provides the ability for staff (employees and contractors) in the entire IT organization to track time against specific investments and other work. And we can extract the data to analyze what our resources are working on. It also allows us to perform high-level resource planning.

How has it helped my organization?

By using PPM, we centralize where IT resources are tracking their time and eliminate the use of other tools such as spreadsheets.This enables us to gather data on what our resources are working on.

What needs improvement?

Reporting could be improved. Both the user interface and administration of Jaspersoft is very confusing and not user-friendly.

In my current organization, we have been using it for about two years.

We are on SaaS and system availability is close to 99%.

We have not had scalability issues with the application itself. However, we ran into issues with interface using XML Open Gateway (XOG) when we are injecting mass data into the application (such as resource assignment).

We use CA support and the support engineers are very knowledgeable about PPM. They have experts with deep knowledge in area where we have issues.

We did not have a previous solution.

We are on SaaS and the initial setup was pretty straightforward.

I do not deal with pricing or licensing.

I was not part of the evaluation process in this organization.

What other advice do I have?

I strongly recommend to using CA Service for their expertise. Also, minimize the configuration as much as possible (stay out-of-the-box). Although PPM is highly configurable, getting to know how various functions work together in the tool is much more important than changing a label on a screen to meet a specific requirement!