CA Service Virtualization Review

We can virtualize entire backend systems or chains.

What is most valuable?

The virtualization options in the product: We can now virtualize entire backend systems or chains. That makes test and acceptance environments much more readily available, which offers more testing possibilities that results in better quality.

How has it helped my organization?

Our supply chain applications became available for more than 70% of the time compared to 25% before we started using LISA.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better GUI testing possibilities.

It only supports web testing by working with Selenium: DevTest is positioned as a test automation tool. People want to use it as that, but then they find out it needs Selenium with all the downsides of that. We also have a couple of client applications they can’t be tested at all with DevTest/Selenium.

Beyond that, you need a lot of ports to be opened to enable working with it. That introduces a lot of problems trying to use it, especially the database connection from the client. A solution would be to add all of the functionality to the webclient.

The full client needs a database connection. That is a problem for us, because that is not allowed anymore.

I have used it for eight years. I started with LISA 5 just for virtualization, which is still the most powerful functionality. We have CA DevTest (LISA) version 8.4 in a semi-production environment. We are currently upgrading to version 9.5 to replace all of these.

You need a lot of servers in advanced datacenters because of security regulations. Opening a lot of ports from a lot of IP addresses to one server is not allowed. Multiple VSEs is the solution, but introduces more installation problems.

Sales and pre-sales support work very good. They are willing to help make more use of the products without wanting to sell more licenses (at least they don’t appear that way).

The support is pretty good. I don’t have direct contact but from our MSP, I get the impression that their questions are handled properly.

I did not previously use a different solution. At the time we started in 2009, this was the only solution.

With version 6, everything needed to be centralized. Now with 9.5, it can be decentralized. It is pretty complex, because it violates all kinds of security regulations at the network datacenter level.

We did this with Systemation, a local company with expert knowledge of LISA/DevTest.

My advice is to work together with the network/datacenter guys from the start.

We didn’t calculate the ROI. We started this to save test environment costs, but we ended up with more testing and better quality.

Pricing/licenses are very expensive, especially performance VSE, which is kind of foolish, especially if you use DevTest as a test driver too. You’ll pay for the vuser bundle and for the VSE.

What other advice do I have?

Set up a central maintenance team, a CoE, but let the users use it themselves. That way, you’ll get more value out of the investment.

The product is easy to use and offers lots of functionalities. This product also supports the most protocols, compared to its competitors.