CA Service Virtualization Review

You can create virtual services from a live recording or convert raw traffic into request/response pairs

What is our primary use case?

It helps us to remove barriers that we have with dependencies on services that we don't own, or services that don't even exist yet, or services that are junky. It helps us to shift left and do our development earlier without waiting on those dependencies to be available.

How has it helped my organization?

I work in a test environment so teams come in and they do performance testing on their solutions. Whenever we can get their solution to work with DevTest it makes everything super quick. It reduces setup time, all the engineering you have to go through, and reduces it by days.

What is most valuable?

You can create virtual services from a live recording or you can even take raw traffic and convert that into request/response pairs, and you can create an entire virtual service from just those simple little files, and that's super awesome when that all works out.

What needs improvement?

I think the size of DevTest is pretty massive. It's hard to tell what different parts of it can be used to do different things. It gets kind of big, so if they could modulize it more, and lead you to a common work flow, that would be pretty awesome.

They're constantly making improvements, so it's gotten better every time they have released a new version.

It's very stable. It's very reliable.

We spread it out across, I think, 12 different teams using it right now, and no problems.

I have used tech support. They're awesome. They usually get back within minutes if you have a problem and they can get you up and running really quickly.

I was surprised, because usually customer service is not that prompt. But I've used it probably seven times, and every time has been an easy, quick experience.

There's definitely a learning curve, but they're there with you on site, helping you get set up. At least in our case they were with us, so that removed a lot of the problems.

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, because nothing is ever perfect, and there's definitely a learning curve to it. But if you put some time into it, it definitely helps you out.