CA Service Virtualization Review

Reduces capacity limitation on mainframe, allows us to test the system even during peak usage

What is our primary use case?

Virtualizing mainframe systems. Reducing dependency on mainframe capacity and availability, which is a major roadblock for us right now.

The virtualization is primarily performed by eliminating the back end mainframe system. So we can read out our API traffic to the virtualized system. Basically, we don't have to use the mainframe while our service is virtualized.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us with work/life balance. If we didn't have that CA Service Virtualization, we would have to run our performance tests during the night, because that's when the mainframe is least used. For our team members it helps them to maintain a better work/life balance, as they can execute their tests in the daytime so they don't have to spend the weekends and nights doing so.

What is most valuable?

To us, right now, it is going to be reducing the capacity limitation on mainframe, because we are highly dependent on mainframe capacity which is not easily available to us.

What needs improvement?

Regarding additional features for future releases, that is something we'll come to know when we start using it at full scale. But so far, we're pretty content with what has been offered.

In terms of improvements, I think a little bit more of use cases from existing clients. That could show that it's a workable solution used with other clients as well.

Still implementing.

Stability is pretty good so far. We have used it across our organization in different teams. So the next step for us is to bring it to performance testing.

Scalability is the next factor we have to judge, because this system has to handle a large amount of load, so we'll have to see what the scalability is going to be. But based on the reviews and research, we think it's going to be as per of our expectations.

We have had business partners, account managers, come and do the PoC for us, proof of concept, so we have used their support.

Support has been great so far. They have come to the table whenever we needed them. They have provided all the support in a timely manner so, so far so good.

We made the move because of a constraint that we have today. It's a constraint with mainframe capacity and availability. This is basically an opportunity for us to remove that constraint and that's why we need Service Virtualization.

We have completed the PoC, so I would say since we haven't completely set it up. So far, whatever the setup has done, we're satisfied with it.

We evaluated other options, I'd say lightly, very lightly, because we have used CA within our company from a while. We know that they are the market leader, we know there are probably not many competitors for the tool that we want to use.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor what's important to us is

• a relationship with the vendor
  • their response to us in a timely manner and
  • especially, their being established, having proven their solution with other clients.

I give it an eight out of 10, based on our experience so far. Once we use it at full scale, we'll come to know if there are any more improvements or challenges that need to be addressed.

I would tell colleagues to keep CA as the number one priority to research because they are the market leader and have the most experience, based on our research. I think they should be one of the top contenders for service virtualization.