CA Service Virtualization Review

Ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments

Video Review:

What is most valuable?

The ability to do parallel development and testing reduces our costs for duplicating environments, improving the productivity of our developers, and bringing products faster to market.

What needs improvement?

As far as the next version of it is concerned, probably some additional lightweight, portable elements. For instance, we would like to not have to rely on deploying things to a server, be able to carry it and make it more portable (maybe through the mobile devices), etc. Some of the mobility aspects are what we are looking for, and I do not mean running it on a mobile device when I say mobility, but being able to port it between workstations, and being able to take it and work with it at a smaller scale.

It is a very stable product given that by the time we got into it. We were in version 9.x, but it looks like about 10 years has elapsed between the time the product came out and where it is now. That ought to provide it some sense of stability, and also some guidance as to what the company needs to do to make it a stable product.

It is definitely scalable. The licenses that we have purchased, we have not utilized them fully. However, given our conversations with the CA product team and the use cases that we have outlined for them, we are pretty confident that it is scalable.

We actually stumbled upon it both in terms of good luck and prior experience. Prior experience, not from our perspective, but from one of our VPs, who happen to work at CA before he came to our organization. Combined with a need from us to not invest in additional development environments for some of our flow-through work, where applications needed to talk to multiple other systems. Also, when we were working on multiple projects, we had a need to duplicate those environments, which resulted in having to spend extra money on it.

What we stumbled upon was the Service Virtualization tool that our previous VP had worked with, remembered about it, and we started investigating, which led to our investment in the product.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely rate it as a nine. Simply because I think any product obviously has some inherent flaws in it. That is the reason why they are upgraded. It would be foolish to say it is a 10 right off the bat.