CA UIM (DX Infrastructure Manager) Review

What is most valuable?

• Base set of probes cdm, ntservices, and ntevl processes
  • NAS feature which handles all alarm processing
  • Hub which handles all the inner message traffic of the product
  • UMP which provides ability to visually see what we are monitoring.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives a good baseline as to how we go about monitoring our clients, as each one is different but can fall into a specific category of infrastructure monitoring. Our organization knows how to get started with each and every client.

The company has used it for five years, and I've used it for one and a half years.

Certain sites have very secure environments, and you must then setup rules so that the product can still communicate and function in the customized environment.

Certain probes require heavy knowledge on a specific technology before it can start working.

Every product has issues.`

No issues encountered.

I've never had to deal with customer service.

The UIM support team is excellent.

We were using a previous CA solution but it was EOL’d and UIM is the new strategic CA IM product, so we switched.

UIM does have a large initial learning curve for new users, and you must learn the basic architecture. Once understood, the initial setup is then pretty straightforward if you understand the overall big picture.

Initially we attempted to use a vendor, but in the end we did full implementation in house. The vendor was very experienced, but our environment was very tricky and after three attempts we decided to rollout ourselves.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: CA Partner