CA Unified Infrastructure Management Review

It has the ability to create an integrated console based upon the services which we are offering. However, it is difficult to get their time to instrument their applications.

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for the monitoring of our hardware infrastructure, and also for our applications' response times. So far, it has performed well.

What is most valuable?

• The integration with Spectrum
  • The ability to create an integrated console based upon the services which we are offering.

We have had previous experience with CA products, so it is another progression in our use and deployment of the CA suite.

How has it helped my organization?

• Ease of use
  • Integration with the other CA products

We are working on the process improvement. We have a large deployment across multiple applications, so working with the applications team and obtaining velocity is a difficult thing.

What needs improvement?

If there was a way to better harvest information from other sources to configure the components, it would make it easier to do.

For the past year, the tool has been quite stable in our environment, so I enjoy working with it.

The scalability is good, because of our diverse locations and the large number of applications. However, getting the right components in the right area, we just have to think through it and engineer it.

It is difficult to get their time to instrument their applications. So, it is not the product that is difficult to work with, it is getting the people's time to work with us.

For technical support, we sourced knowledge from one of our in-house partners, which is a contract resource type of thing.

This was our first implementation of this type of solution. We had done an internal proof of concept or proof of value. That is where we came up with using the tool.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

Because of our previous experience with CA, we did not really look elsewhere.

What other advice do I have?

Plan well. Because of what the tool does, some companies do not really have a good service catalog, and without a good service catalog, taking the leap into the UIM space is going to be an interesting challenge. That has been one of our challenges, we did not have a good service catalog.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• The partnership with the team
  • The quality of the products
  • The reputation of the vendor.