Cisco Umbrella Review

You can define custom categories if the predefined categories are too restrictive or not restrictive enough for you.

Valuable Features

The ability to use custom categories to block out websites was valuable because the predefined categories were either too restrictive or not restrictive enough. For example, one category would block everything from social media to webmail, while another category did not block either. So to be able to customize categories made it a lot easier.

Improvements to My Organization

This product has made it easier for our IT team to keep employees on track to work and away from distracting websites.

Room for Improvement

Perhaps an option to be able to block only specific users would be a way to improve the free version of OpenDNS. In our department, there are multiple users that need different levels of access. For example, those who work in the advertising department need access to social media, while those in the accounting department do not. The ability to be able to set different rules for each user would have been nice to have.

Use of Solution

I have used it for about six months.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I did not need to contact technical support when using OpenDNS. The product is very self-explanatory.

This was the first product we used for filtering websites.

The initial setup was very straightforward. I did not have any issues.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

I was using the free version of OpenDNS, so I am not aware of the pricing.

Other Solutions Considered

We were choosing between pfSense and their packages versus. OpenDNS looked easier to setup, so we went for that first. Eventually, we moved to using pfSense’s SquidGuard, because it allows us to be more precise with filtering websites.

Other Advice

This product is very straightforward and simple to setup. I would recommend others to just give the product a try. I am sure they will be happy with the results. OpenDNS has different filtering levels, but I found it easier to just go for the custom level versus the ones they had set up already.