Cisco Umbrella Review

Reports provide insight into internet usage and information helpful in creating QoS rules

What is our primary use case?

Protection and security provided by using Umbrella are the two top areas that I looked at when considering. With three campuses, Umbrella has proven itself with the detection and blocking of malware, viruses, and preventing users from visiting malicious sites. We have two Umbrella virtual appliances at each campus, with two campuses using Hyper-V, and the primary data center running VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

The reports have given us insight into what the Internet is being used for at all three campuses. They provide insight into internet usage and information helpful in creating QoS rules.

What is most valuable?

• My favorite feature is the command and control callback blocking. It provides protection from crypto attacks by blocking the connection back to the attacker's server giving an added layer of defense.
    • Policies make the work easier by providing appropriate filters for locations.
    • The interface is simple, easy to navigate and set up.

What needs improvement?

If the virtual appliances could also gather traffic bandwidth reports, that would be great.

The customer support is exceptional.

They have a wealth of articles in their knowledge base. This has given me the freedom to troubleshoot on my own time.

What other advice do I have?

Cisco Umbrella's interface is easy to use and the visibility of user activity is extremely useful.