Cloudberry Backup Review

What is our primary use case?

Cloudberry was chosen because it supports many back-end providers, peer-to-peer storage, client-side encryption, block level backup, and compression. The per client price is reasonable and it is well suited for SOHO and smaller shops.

How has it helped my organization?

This replaces a previous solution which is dropping support for peer-to-peer backup. With peer-to-peer, we can preseed a remote peer in the same city inexpensively as well as perform a fast recovery, if needed.

What is most valuable?

• Supports peer-to-peer backup using Minio, which has allowed us to easily pre-seed and maintain an off-site backup within driving distance, making tactical recovery of accidental file deletions easy.
  • Supports a wide variety of back-end data storage providers. We use one of the big players for strategic backup in the event of a major infrastructure failure.
  • Client-side encryption minimizes worries about data being captured on the back-end.
  • Block level transfers have significantly reduced the amount of time for transfers over some other solutions.

What needs improvement?

The interface could use some updating. The product functionality is beyond the scope of understanding for most people without an IT background. However, the interface feels like it is targeted for end users who typically are looking for an all-in-one integrated push button solution. It would be better if the interface had a beginner mode and an expert mode.

For example, when editing an existing backup set, one has to go through a wizard-like interface with many screens even if you are only changing one thing.  The user is forced to keep clicking Next>Next>Next>Next>Next>Next> until you are finally able to save your changes. Experienced people would rather have all the information on a screen or two and be able to quickly get to the area they need to modify.

Less than one year.

No issues so far. Although, we are just starting with it.

Our needs are small, so I can't say how well it will scale. There is a managed backup solution for larger installations, but I have not used it. I understand it enables remote management and monitoring, however it requires a connection to a Cloudberry server so it may not be possible to keep everything in-house. Watching the video on the Cloudberry website, it does not appear to be enterprise level, but more research would be needed.

I have only had one question that I emailed support. My question was addressed in less than 24 hours, even going back and forth a couple times.

I previously used CrashPlan, but dropped it due to Code42 discontinuing support of peer-to-peer backup and changing their offerings.

Setup was straightforward, since our back-end storage was already established.

If you do not have a storage provider already, this will add time as that will have to also be setup before Cloudberry can be used.

In-house implementation.

This is a good solution for smallish businesses and appears scalable to some extent. Enterprise level companies may find other solutions more appropriate. However, I do know that Cloudberry central management is possible using their managed backup tool.

I took a look at Duplicati and Arq, as well as CrashPlan's future offerings. Duplicati has real promise, but it is not stable enough yet and is a bit too fiddly.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
Davidwayne ChoateReal UserTOP 5

Im still having storage issues

07 April 18