MSP360 Backup Overview

MSP360 Backup is the #13 ranked solution in our list of top Disaster Recovery Software. It is most often compared to Veeam Backup & Replication: MSP360 Backup vs Veeam Backup & Replication

What is MSP360 Backup?

MSP360™ Managed Backup Service (MBS) is a data backup solution for managed service providers and IT departments who require centralized job management, monitoring, reporting, and licensing control. It allows you to leverage AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud, B2, Wasabi cloud storage to drive more revenue, more margins and make your customers happy.

MSP360™ offers all of the features you would expect in backup software, including, image-level backup, file-based backup and even support for Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Exchange.

MSP360 Backup is also known as Cloudberry Backup.

MSP360 Backup Buyer's Guide

Download the MSP360 Backup Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: April 2021

MSP360 Backup Customers

StratX

MSP360 Backup Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about MSP360 Backup pricing:
  • "It includes a standard licensing fee. Once a year, there is a rebranding fee. The licensing costs are available on the internet for MSP360 Backup. There is a discount structure where if you have over 50 devices, you get a 50% discount. So, my cost is $2 a license per month."

MG
Owner at a tech services company with self employed
Flexible in terms of storage and cost and doesn't require firewall changes on the client's premises

What is our primary use case?

We are a small industry specializing in backup services for micro enterprises. These are organizations that have between 1 to 20 devices. About 95% of our clients have on-premises deployments. The backup agent is installed on the client's premises, but the backup target is the storage in the cloud.

• "One massive advantage of this solution, as compared to more enterprise products, is that no firewall changes are needed on the client's premises. For the product to back up from the client's premise to the cloud, it just needs port 8 and port 443, which are anyway always open. This was one of the things that made us decide to go with the product. It is very difficult to justify a firewall change for a small client who doesn't even know what a firewall is and how to maintain a firewall, or doesn't have anybody maintaining their firewall. You then have to maintain the firewall. MSP360 Backup takes away firewall change requirements, VPNs, or channels that are needed for the backup."
  • "They can add some production backup capabilities and the ability to do single instance back up. At the moment, it doesn't do deduplication on the standard backup. So, the issue is backing up PSG files for customers who have limited bandwidth. The other issue is that I don't like the implementation of the SQL backup. We do use SQL ourselves using a PowerShell script with the VDA tools as a module. That's how we back up. The rotation feature would be nice to have, but I know that they've got it on their dashboard or on their list to look at. They can also do a few tweaks to the dashboard. I would like the reporting capabilities on the portal to be much more granular. Normally, I export it to a text file, and then I run it through a pivot table in order to look at it from a cost-recovery point of view and to see when the backup last ran and if it was successful when it ran two or three days ago. Such a feature would work really well for my market. They can also add a cost-effective backup for Android and Apple cellphones. I've had one or two customers who were looking for this feature. I haven't found this functionality at the moment. I've been looking for a product that does that."

What other advice do I have?

I have used two products previously, and I stopped using them for various reasons. I did my own research to find a product that would be applicable and useful for us. We eventually found it by attending an Amazon AWS open day, where I was explaining my issues to them. They said to me, "Well, have you looked at this product?" We said, "No. We're not aware of the product." I then went and researched it and decided to go for it. I then ran it through the test with one or two customers as a trial, and I liked the way the product worked, its flexibility on the storage and cost, and the way it was…
Director at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Has good online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire back up again and again, it just does whatever you type in

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is that we have our confidential data which remains locally on the tape. But the public information which is required, which is for my system backup, including my photographs and all that stuff, we do on the cloud backup and I put onto the normal storage of AWS. This stuff we generally don't require for a long time, like photos. It can take a long time for retrieval but the cost is really low.

• "The feature that I have found most valuable is its online backup capacity because you don't have to do an entire backup again and again, it just does whatever you type in, you type a, it goes a, you type b, it goes b. It doesn't take an entire site up again and again. So that incremental and bit by bit backup is important, it is a nice feature here."
  • "As for what can be improved, some reports could be simplified so that you know how much backup you have done and what your backup details are. That report is available but it is very tough to get. I would like to know "today I have just uploaded 35 MB, tomorrow I have loaded 10 MB so my trend of backup is increasing.""

What other advice do I have?

One thing that I would recommend is first of all to do a classification of your data. That means that before each backup has to be done, most of the time people need to clean up their data. They just want to do a backup. If there was a feed backup where there would not be much cost when you go to the cloud backup, no doubt it is would be easy to handle backup retrievals and all, but everything here increases the cost. When we restore the backup, there is a cost associate because we're using the link and all this stuff. There is also a cost to retrieving it. That means the people first have to…
Learn what your peers think about MSP360 Backup. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: April 2021.
479,323 professionals have used our research since 2012.
RC
President and Chief Technology Officer at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Reseller
Appliance-free, contract-free and very flexible

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for offsite backups that can be turned into temporary production machines if necessary.

• "Technical support is very good."
  • "We could basically use just a more concise visual dashboard reporting on the status of the various machines."

What other advice do I have?

While the solution is set up for re-sale, I don't recall us having any formal agreements in place with the company. We're using the cloud version of the solution and therefore it's the most up-to-date version available. I'd recommend other organizations to try the product. We've been largely quite happy with it. It's easy enough to dive into. Overall, I would rate the solution at a nine out of ten.
TS Engineer at a computer software company with 5,001-10,000 employees
MSP
Offers a straightforward setup with great technical support and good scalability

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use the solution for my personal backup.

• "The initial setup is very easy. It's not overly complex."
  • "The solution needs a better graphical user interface. It's a graphical user interface that is very old-school right now. They could give it a little more modern feel."

What other advice do I have?

I'm just a customer and end-user. I currently use the previous version of MSP when its name was CloudBerry. I installed an agent in the configuration to back up the information on Amazon. I have about two terabytes of backups in Amazon Glacier. I would recommend the solution. It's a very trustworthy solution. I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten.
SJ
IT Manager at a transportation company with 501-1,000 employees
It's very user-friendly but they don't have a central console

• "The UI is pretty good. It's very simple. That is one thing that we like about this. It's very user-friendly."
  • "There are some things that we don't like about it. That is why I was exploring alternatives in a hyper-scale environment. That is why I was checking IT Central Station."

What other advice do I have?

If your environment is small and you're not looking to scale too much, I would recommend this solution. If the environment is bigger and the environment is going to scale pretty fast, then this would not be the solution. To improve this solution, they should improve it so that the backup restore is pretty fast. If I have an incident and I need to restore something very fast, I want to restore a particular virtual machine, maybe in an hour and that is not possible to do with MSP360. It takes time. I would rate MSP360 a seven out of ten. The problem for us was because we have an environment that…
MS
Owner at DataCorp Magdalena Stanek
Easy to configure, very user-friendly and excellent backup functionality

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for backups, in our virtual machines and our local physical computers.

• "The solution is simple to use and easy to configure."
  • "The graphics are looking a bit old and should be updated."

What other advice do I have?

We use both public and private cloud deployment models. Having a backup is necessary. Every user of IT infrastructure needs to have a backup, and this is a good solution to implement because it is so easy and straightforward. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.