ConnectWise Control Review

Improves our efficiency, straightforward to use, and provides the facility to transparently execute commands in a remote session

What is our primary use case?

We went full remote after COVID, so all of our employees are off-premises. We use it primarily as a remote deployment, remote connectivity tool for doing troubleshooting with our clients.

How has it helped my organization?

My group that uses it is my service desk and my level two support staff. Some level threes use it for connecting to servers, but this just because it's so much more convenient than RDP. We're able to use it to do screen-sharing sessions, troubleshooting, and resolving customer issues from our service desk and our level two desktop support personnel.

What is most valuable?

There are a lot of good features in this product but there are two of them that I like the best. One feature is being able to remote-run commands through the client and not having to connect directly to the machine. You can bring up a command prompt remotely and execute commands without having to disturb the user.

Another feature that's really handy is all of the data it brings back after we push the client out with Intune. When it returns, it brings back a lot of useful data that we utilize while troubleshooting.

After you figured out the interface, using it is pretty straight forward. It is much better once the initial learning curve is over.

What needs improvement?

I really didn't care for the onboarding process and it is something that should be improved. They just sent me an email and said, "Hey, here's your account", and I have a group of folks using it. I had to go through and figure out specifically how to do it. It's really a combination of onboarding and support. It wasn't great. I would have rather them just let me upload a list of who all needs it and then send everyone directions on how to get it.

I would love to see the ability to send out bulk updates to third-party tools through their command line. This would mean being able to write a script and execute it on a group of machines, all at the same time.

In my past, I've used software like Dameware Mini Remote Control, which is now part of SolarWinds. In that software, the reporting was very good. For example, you could specify a group of machines and send a query to ask a question like how many of them have Adobe Reader installed. The report would be generated pretty easily.

We have been using ConnectWise Control for between three and five months.

The stability has been great.

I'd say it's pretty extensively used by the groups who rely on it as their primary tool. I don't know if we have any plans to extend this product, specifically, but we are looking into implementing some of the other ConnectWise tools.

I think that it's pretty scalable. We've increased our license count since we first purchased it.

I've got seven people total using it, including our service desk staff and our tier-two, or desktop support. Our level three engineers use it because they enjoy the flexibility of connecting to servers with it, versus using a remote desktop.

We haven't had to use technical support.

The company had used a couple of different products and it was kind of a scattered bag. We used Teams, which wasn't very good. They used Remote Assistance, which I think was from TeamViewer. Then, I think someone used VNC for a short time, but we put a stop to that quickly.

Our deployment only took about half a day. We wrote a PowerShell script and deployed it through Intune.

The deployment was done in-house and I have one staff member who handled deployment and is responsible for maintenance. This is our senior cloud administrator and the deployment was taken on because this person found the product for us, then did the implementation.

It's interesting, and this is kind of anecdotal, but I think it applies. We are more efficient at resolving end-user tickets as a result of implementing this product. We've seen our ticket count lower and our ticket throughput increased.

I think it really has to do with ConnectWise because prior to that, it was clunky trying to get connected to people, screen-share, and those types of things. Whereas now, we just click a button to connect and we're off and running.

We pay $3,000 USD for the service, yearly upfront. There are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

During our evaluation, we looked at ConnectWise, TeamViewer, and a third one. TeamViewer was a heavy favorite because it integrated with Intune.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is if they have the ability to bundle it with ConnectWise Automation, to do it from the start. We would really like to implement ConnectWise Automate, but it is probably out of our price range right now.

The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this product is that not all remote connectivity software is equal. My team thinks that this product is pretty good.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Microsoft Azure

20.11.1479
More ConnectWise Control reviews from users
...who work at a Hospitality Company
...who compared it with N-able Take Control
Learn what your peers think about ConnectWise Control. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.