Connectwise master owl icon hires

ConnectWise Control Review
Enables us to provide access to our consultant without granting him access to the entire network.

Valuable Features:

The ability to access our servers behind the firewall with granular security. A new project required a third party consultant to access a pair of our systems and the consultant didn’t have a remote control solution (most have their own). We took a crack at ScreenConnect and we really liked what we saw and how it worked properly. While we still use MS Remote Desktop for the majority of our in-house remote control, the hosted solution fit the bill in this instance. We’re keeping it for future third party access in the future.

Improvements to My Organization:

We were able to provide access to our consultant without granting him access to the entire network with a VPN connection, and we could limit their access to just the systems needed.

Room for Improvement:

While I found the documentation to be adequate, others in our IT department did not. My immediate supervisor said it was lacking in documentation and had “too many words” to describe how to use the product when crafting instructions to send to our third party consultant who was going to connect to our system behind our firewall.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for two to three months. We trialled this product about a year ago before they offered the cloud hosted solution, and it was OK, but a little cumbersome to setup your own host. It was only for in-house IT use, so VPN and Remote Desktop filled our needs just fine.

Stability Issues:

Being public internet based, the usual connectivity issues are present, but it seemed to be fine.

Scalability Issues:

We only use it on a handful of systems, so I couldn’t answer this. I would assume it should scale fine.

Technical Support wasn’t and hasn’t been needed.

Previous Solutions:

We still utilize MS Remote Desktop for normal in-house remote support, but for outside access it fits the bill for us.

Initial Setup:

I found it very straight forward and easy to setup. Getting that initial access working properly for the consultant was a bit of a challenge, but it was a matter of following all the directions fully that ultimately allowed his to access the system properly.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

Reasonable. It wasn’t too high that I wanted to look for alternatives, and not too cheap to make we wonder about it’s stability.

Other Solutions Considered:

Last year I looked at several offerings for other providers. Bomgar, LogMeIn, Google Chrome Remote Desktop, UltraVNC, etc. Bomgar and LogMeIn were too expensive. Google Chrome RD seemed too cumbersome to get setup so a third party could access systems. UltraVNC was considered but I had security concerns.

Other Advice:

SaaS Cloud Hosted was dead simple. Make sure the access rules on your firewall(s) have the right allowances in place. It does require internet access for both the host and remote machines, which can be a challenge for some setups.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About ConnectWise Control?

Our experts can help. 209,516 professionals have used our research on 5,563 solutions.