DocuShare Review

The Windows client is user-friendly. File and folder security policies can work directly with capture systems such as Kofax Capture

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for DocuShare is that it has a very user-friendly Windows client. You can easily deploy the client and map the DocuShare site to a drive. Saving on that drive automatically uploads your document to the DocuShare site.

Documents are easily exported and versioning can be done out of the box. The product is superb if you are just looking for a user-friendly Document Management System (DMS). File and folder security policies are easily implemented and can work directly with capture systems such as Kofax Capture or Kofax Express.

Workflows are easily deployed.

How has it helped my organization?

Most of our customers experienced a stellar improvement in productivity, as documents are now centralized and user access levels are deployed to prevent users from opening and downloading confidential information.

Email attachments sent to co-employees are greatly reduced and they no longer clog the email server. Documents are now easily shared on DocuShare.

What needs improvement?

I think the area where we can improve DocuShare is for them to be more open on customizations. Customizing the look and feel is still quite difficult.

Another key area is license management, as DocuShare is very sensitive when it comes to licenses. A clustered virtual server almost always suffers the fate of being unlicensed after it is transferred from one host to another, as the Machine ID is changed.

Another downside is that there are only a few articles and tutorials found on the web. Here in the Southeast Asia region, Xerox is not really active in evangelizing for DocuShare.

The company I work for has been deploying it since the early days of DocuShare. I myself have been using the product for almost three years already.

We have not had any stability issues so far.

It is very scalable. Just upgrade the license to suite your needs.

Technical Support is nonexistent if your licenses have gone beyond the one-year support program. Here in the Southeast Asia region, technical guys are quite scarce.

Previously, we used SharePoint, but we switched to DocuShare for easier management and a better GUI. The company I work with offers both SharePoint and DocuShare solutions to clients.

Disclaimer: I am a Sharepoint specialist too.

Initial setup was pretty much straightforward. You may drag and drop the documents directly to their respective collections.

If the client just needs a DMS-only solution, then DocuShare is one of the best solutions. Licensing is on a per-user basis according to the features needed.

We looked at Alfresco, SharePoint, and Documentum.

What other advice do I have?

Give it a try. The best thing about DocuShare is that it offers a 30-day trial license to anyone who wishes to test things out.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: The company I work for is a reseller of Xerox DocuShare. We are offering DocuShare in tandem with our Kofax solutions.
1 Comment
author avatarSystem Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

Hi sir John, What are the advantages of Docushare over sharepoint?