Fortinet FortiOS Review

Also offers email filtering and data loss prevention

What is our primary use case?

It's a security device. We use it to keep the bad guys away.

What is most valuable?

A firewall is a security appliance. FortiGate also does email filtering and does data loss prevention.

All networks are security-driven, we get throughputs and security. We feel that the people at Fortinet are easy to deal with from a support standpoint. If they need to jump in and help us, they're very willing to do that. Their email filtering, their data loss prevention, their intrusion prevention, type of products in the newest OSs has been outstanding.

I have been using Fortinet FortiOS for ten years.

The stability is excellent.

Scalability is wonderful. Affordability is really good.

Everybody's being protected by the firewall. The firewall device is using the operating system. And so, in that sense, you could say everybody is using it. The people that are actually technically working with the Fortinet devices are a handful, six to eight technicians.

We've used other solutions in the past. But we've settled into FortiGate for around 10 years.

The initial setup was straightforward. It's pretty much just plug and play. It takes hours.

They're very competitive and easy to work with in terms of pricing. I can't say, that's why we chose them, that's why we've stuck with them. It's a very well-respected name in the industry.

Everybody wants to go to Cisco for different things and everybody loves to hate Cisco. Cisco is a great product for large companies. They're low income, they're low-end products and their support for their low-end products leaves a lot to be desired. That's hence why SonicWall, Extreme Networks, and Fortinet are in business. There are these other smaller companies that are getting involved with the smaller companies, taking market shares away from Cisco because Cisco's support for their product is bad.

The support contracts are usually about $100 - $200 a device. The support contract usually includes software upgrades, hardware maintenance, and hardware break-fix. And they very seldom break.

I am looking at replacing some SonicWalls for a customer. I think SonicWall is its competition. SonicWall is got a good product, but I still believe that FortiGate is the best product for the people that we deal with.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to someone implementing this solution is not to take shortcuts. Shortcuts aren't good. Don't hesitate to use FortiGate's technical support.

Always buy support. Always buy FortiCare. You can buy it for one year, two years, or three years with the initial purchase. We always buy it and sell it to our customers for three years. And the product will last more than three years.

Fortinet competes in the big companies as well. We just don't. Our marketplace is the smaller users two or three, maybe four locations, 150 to 300 endpoints. So we're not dealing in the 10,000s of users trying to get into 100 of servers. We're dealing with tens and fifties and a hundred, trying to get into a few servers.

I would rate it a nine out of ten. It could more scalable for the lower end users.

6.1.23
More Fortinet FortiOS reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Palo Alto Networks NG Firewalls
Learn what your peers think about Fortinet FortiOS. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
511,773 professionals have used our research since 2012.