Google App Engine Review

Allows you to test your development. The programming interface is not easy.

What is most valuable?

Free Tier is basic if you simply want to test your development or if are not sure whether the product you are trying to launch will be successful. Free tier is unlimited in time. Other platforms used to offer a one year Free Tier. This unlimited time feature lets you work without worrying about money. If you need to pay, you know you are getting traffic.

Being that Free Tier is getting better on other platforms. I think Google App Engine Free Tier will keep on beating its rivals.

How has it helped my organization?

It lets you forget about everything not related to development, while allowing great load variations.

What needs improvement?

The programming interface is not easy, but I can't talk deeply about it, as I have used a framework which hid the API.

I can't detail anything about GAE API, as I didn't use it. Nevertheless, I could have a look at it. I could especially look at what is related to its DataStore database, in terms of its keys or its ancestors.

It seems to be a totally different approach, compared to traditional SQL databases. The Web2py framework hides this complexity.

I searched for some information about how to use GAE API, both on official
docs, forums or books. The conclusion I took after these searches was this
API was not easy to use. And this reality was one of the reason why I
started searching for a framework that could hide GAE API. I have to
recognize this impression could be caused because of my previous work with
SQL related API -note that GAE is build upon a NoSQL database.

I have used Google App Engine for three months.

I have not had any stability issues.

I have not had any scalability issues.

I did not need to use support.

I didn’t have a previous solution. This was my first option, due to it being the only one with a real free tier.

The setup was really straightforward thanks to the framework. It does not seem to be difficult.

It has really competitive pricing when talking about low usage tiers, but prices rise quicker than other options.

I checked documentation about other solutions:

• PaaS (Heroku)
  • IaaS (Amazon, Azure, and Google Cloud)