Google Cloud Identity Review

Offers fine-grained access control and good visibility of cloud resources

What is our primary use case?

I am a solution architect and this is one of the products that I work with.

It is used for access control, where our customers want fine-grained access control of cloud resources. It gives you total visibility for managing cloud-based resources.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features that I have used are the unified identity access application and endpoint management.

What needs improvement?

Pricing is something that can be improved. Right now, Microsoft is doing very well in the cloud and Google has to be more competitive. Customers are always interested in the price.

The interface could be improved by simplifying it further. It is better than the Microsoft nested interface, but not as easy to use as Oracle.

It may be helpful to have a feature that can back up and export all of the roles, groups, and permissions so that it can be saved elsewhere and re-imported later. I don't think that it is required for a cloud-based solution, but it may be helpful for some customers or administrators.

Easing the migration from another cloud provider, such as Microsoft, would be helpful for some customers. There should be a complete suite that is offered so that migration can be done easily.

I have been using Google Cloud Identity for close to one year.

I have heard nothing from my customers with respect to stability. It seems that since it was implemented, everything has been working well.

There are close to 10,000 users for this solution.

Technical support from Google is good. I received a very quick and good response.

If I compare it to the Microsoft technical support, Google is far better.

Prior to this solution, our customer was using a Microsoft solution that was on-premises. They had control of their groups, Microsoft IDs, and Windows IDs.

The Cloud Identity is well advanced in terms of features, applications, and the components that it is offering. Some of the distributions were impossible using an on-premises solution, mainly because of the integration of third-party applications. Simply, there are fewer options when using an on-premises deployment. This is why our customer decided to switch.

I would not say that the setup was simple or complex. Rather, it was of medium complexity. It is, however, far better when compared to the other cloud providers.

The configuration involves setting up the roles and figuring out which roles to assign to which users. It is not difficult and very quick.

I implement this solution for my customers. I referred to a handbook that I found on the Google support site, and it was very helpful. I also received help from Google support.

Licensing fees are on a yearly basis.

Our customer has two or three cloud providers and they compared pricing and features.

What other advice do I have?

The suitability of this solution depends on customer requirements. You have to consider the features that they will need. My feeling is that eventually, Google will come up with more applications and be more competitive in the future.

This is a good product for small, medium, or enterprise-sized customers who want to go forward with a cost-effective solution.

Google