HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

I like the different form factors and small footprint. I would like to see more options beyond the ROM configurations for High Power computing and ULV deployments.

Valuable Features

• Different form factors
  • Small footprint
  • Good compromise between pricing schema and available options
  • Support and care packs add-ons

Improvements to My Organization

The product fits well between tight budgets and horizontal expansions.

Room for Improvement

More options beyond the ROM configurations for High Power computing and ULV (Ultra Low Voltage) deployments.

Use of Solution

I've used the ProLiant servers since 2005.

The G6 was not a stable product.

If you had a Care Pack in place, the support was 9/10. In case you were left with no Care Pack, the best-effort option was worth nothing.

Many times the setup had to be agreed and consulted with HP representatives and technical after-sales staff.

Implementation Team

Implementation was done in-house although physical installation was done through the vendor, as it was included in the price. When HP sent their consultants or staff to do the job, things moved faster. You should invest in your partners’ professional education MORE.

ROI

We consider ROI on not more than 24 months for our business cases, and hardware turnover on a three years basis. HP pricing and licensing schemas fitted well into our agendas.

Other Solutions Considered

Yes, we looked at equivalent products from SUN/Oracle and IBM. We chose HP for specific deployments and pricing comparison.