HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

It has scaled well for our environment, and there won't be issues so long as firmware updates are applied prior to deployment.

What is most valuable?

• Scalability
  • Performance
  • Out-of-band management
  • Support

What needs improvement?

Java version dependence for its out-of-band management. This is also an issue for other vendors, as well.

HP Proliant Servers have been used on this project for over six years. I’ve managed them since I came on the project, so for almost five years. We used the BladeSystem alongside the DL servers.

There won't be any issues as long as you have followed the guidelines to ensure that the firmware was up to date prior to deployment.

There was an issue before I came on the project, where a firmware update was not applied, and that had caused a few systems to become unstable under certain conditions, but HP support was able to identify the cause and provide a solution.

The systems scale well for our environment.

Mostly very positive. The only issue I’ve encountered has been with presales support (i.e. getting accurate quotes to purchase systems).

Excellent.

Before coming on this project, I had used Dell servers. The performance of the HP server has an edge over the Dell systems I had used.

What other advice do I have?

Overall the HP Proliant servers have been dependable and fit nicely into the price vs performance that is required for custom application stack.

HP Proliant servers are rock solid and when you need technical support HP’s team is there to support you with answers, no matter how long it takes to properly identify the root cause and then propose a solution.

385 G7, 360 G6, & 160 G9
More HPE ProLiant DL Servers reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, Dell EMC, Lenovo and others in Rack Servers. Updated: January 2021.
455,164 professionals have used our research since 2012.