HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

Their modularity offers good local storage and connectivity options.

What is most valuable?

They are simple, modular and great machines to work with. They offer the best management interface.

How has it helped my organization?

Their modularity offers good local storage and connectivity options. We can expand the disk capacity, processor and memory based on our needs. The solution is easy to maintain.

What needs improvement?

Boot times are relatively slow. Legacy BIOS options are tricky, but discoverable and manageable with experience.

We have been using this solution for around seven years.

There haven’t really been any stability issues, but we have faced server rebooting during high CPU usage periods.

There have not been any scalability issues. The solution is extremely scalable. Most of the software and peripheral devices on the market are tested and certified on these platforms. They are reliable.

The technical support level is good. The support engineers have the skills needed to troubleshoot the issues.

I have used UCS. They are bit messy with their fiber interconnect and have too many configuration and maintenance activities involved. They are expensive compared to HPE ProLiant servers.

IMHO, you cannot get a more straightforward initial setup.

ILO licensing is bought separately, but it is worth it. It gives you that extra power to manage the entire server remotely and do the following:

• Re-image the server
  • Change BIOS and storage options
  • Control devices
  • Monitor resource usage

You can basically do all day-to-day activities remotely that you can do with physical access to the server.

There is very stiff competition from Dell in recent times. One could go the other way based on the purpose and ROI you are seeking.

What other advice do I have?

You wouldn’t regret purchasing this solution. However, do your homework on your needs and talk to relevant guys for any info you are missing.

HPE offers three rack mount server categories and several models in each variant. Carefully choose the one that suits you the best. There are those that occupy 2U and others that occupy 1U. This could bring down the space and rack usage drastically.

Take the following steps:

1. Find out the compatible processors from the server specifications.
  2. Visit Intel‘s web site and carefully compare all the details of the supported processors.
  3. Base your decision on the number of cores, speed, cache size, your usage, and the processor that you would like to combine with the server.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are customers ourselves and we do services.