HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

Gives us the ability to manage centrally.

What is most valuable?

The blades are very compact. They are easy to query. If you need information from them, you have one central location where you can go with OneView to understand where everything is located if you have any problems with them. In that respect, it is better than just standalone servers that you find in the field.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us the ability to manage centrally. If you have a problem with any of the servers, it will send alerts and you can easily find out where they are located. You can then pull the server if you have to and change the hardware.

The servers are all identical, so if we do have issues, we can just pull one from our reserved stash and just replace it. The benefit is that they are all identical, so they are pretty reliable.

What needs improvement?

What is missing for me is more of the administration site. If you have a cluster of four servers, there's no way to identify if they are all a member of the same cluster.

If there were a way to tag them, then you could specify where they are located within the data center. It would make it easier, because then we could spread them out. We would not have to keep them in the same cabinet in case of a power failure.

I would like to see more ease-of-use, be able to identify everything, and group them together so that we know where they are located.

So far it has been very stable and reliable. We rarely have issues. When we do have issues, it is usually firmware related. Hardware-wise, they are pretty solid.

With blades, you can just add more cabinets and you are good to go.

Occasionally, we have to use technical support when there are issues. The support is really good. They always find a solution. Sometimes it takes a little longer than other times, but they always find a solution.

We knew we needed a solution because we didn't have anything prior to this solution. I had to come up with a solution and say, "These four servers are in the same cluster. We need to write codes that indicate that these servers are in this frame or in this enclosure." That way, we could map out our status.

When selecting a vendor, I look at price, if they are technologically inclined, i.e., that they know what they're doing. We look for a personal relationship, just to make sure that they are friendly and that they know their stuff.

I was not present for the initial setup. I was present for the setup of the Synergy frames. It was straightforward, but we also had HPE's help setting them up and they gave us guidance.

They evaluated solutions before I came on board. I believe they looked at Dell. We have a few Dell machines in our environment.

What other advice do I have?

It is a good investment and they should go for it.

More HPE ProLiant DL Servers reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about HPE ProLiant DL Servers. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.