HPE ProLiant DL Servers Review

When we need to, we can get through to technical support and get the right person

What is our primary use case?

There are two sets of servers that we use. We have several sites where we have VMware clusters using the servers, and also we have standalone servers that we use for physical security applications.

They are both performing very well.

How has it helped my organization?

We are on a journey with that. iLO, in particular, helps us manage the servers better, especially as a lot of them are remote from where the IT staff are. We have some locations where we just have not got IT presence at those locations, so iLO really helps with that. We are starting to use HPE OneView to manage them further, so that is where we are going with it. Hopefully, to go and be able to manage them.

What is most valuable?

1. Obviously, they perform what we want them to do.
  2. The added extras, I particularly like iLO.
  3. Just to be able to manage them and get information about the servers. That is really good.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, I feel that there is more there that we could be using rather than things that are missing.

More than five years.

The servers are very stable. They have been in place for about six to seven years. We are refreshing stuff. We are about to refresh a lot of the vSphere servers because they have come to their end of life. They are about five years old, so we are gonna put in some hyper-converged servers instead.

In theory, they are expandable. So yeah, they fit our needs and I am sure if things changed, when we needed more capacity, we could get it. I am confident of that.

Technical support is very good. I can't complain. We have had very few incidents, but when we have needed to, we can get through to them and get the right support.

I was not involved in the initial setup. Though, we are going through a new setup and I will be involved in that.

What other advice do I have?

With the DL380, you can't go wrong. There is no risk to go and take them.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Trusting that you will always have the right level of service. Support is key for that, and obviously knowing that the servers are used by thousands and thousands of other people. That they will be tried and tested. It is reassuring.