ITRS Geneos Review

Global support personnel, even without expertise in market data, can now easily and quickly run respective market checks and escalate with pinpoint data.​​

What is most valuable?

Geneos enables customized aggregate views and alerts for both related and disparate components. This flexibility and insight facilitates proactive and prompt causation analysis. Simply put, you can easily see everything at once. If there’s an issue, you’ll know why within seconds, rather than spend precious time trying to find out.

How has it helped my organization?

What needs improvement?

The Geneos configuration has greatly improved since the nascent version 1.0 days, but still requires specialist knowledge and convoluted config debugging when something’s not monitoring as expected. A hierarchical variable/component reference tree and more readily accessible examples would be welcome.

I've used it since the early 2000s, in the halcyon days when it was branded as ITRS NetAgent. I had led its feasibility test and global rollout for my previous company’s Triarch and TIBCO platforms. ITRS was new to TIBCO at the time, so we had worked closely to add the necessary platform-specific features; ITRS has always been easy to work with.

We had no issues with the deployment.

One original glaring issue had been the lack of fault-tolerant Gateway Servers, but that had been remedied in a release a few years ago. We also had issues with slow Gateway startup and high CPU usage, but subsequent releases and reducing the number of config include files resolved the issues.

There have been no issues scaling it for our needs.

ITRS support personnel are generally top-notch, with a technical account manager who personally sees through each query or ticket.

Various iterations of TIB Hawk, Traverse, and in-house written apps had sufficed, but never truly provided centralized, customizable, easy to use, and market data specific monitoring available via ITRS Geneos.

Initial setup itself is straightforward. There’s a single server (two in fault-tolerance) running the master “Gateway” process, and each monitored server runs a “Netprobe” process. Each tarball is extracted to a single folder, rather than strewn all over the file system. Upgrades are likewise easy.

To not run Netprobes as root, some network monitoring features necessitated writing in-house scripts to feed alongside into Geneos, but that’s also its flexibility in action.
Rather than a cookie cutter setup, you will likely find yourself continually tweaking features and adding new alerts to suit your needs.

Since ITRS was introducing a totally revamped Gateway version 2, ITRS provided a consultant to advise on the initial configuration template, which we then customized and expanded upon.

The insight into finding the weakest links in the infrastructure has enabled us to proactively upgrade servers and networks in measured phases, rather than in a big bang approach.

ITRS has recently streamlined its pricing model to be a bit less granular (computation engine is now standard, for instance), which may or may not benefit your needs. The accounts team is amenable, so try to strike a deal, whether in cost, free training, and/or onsite consultancy.

What other advice do I have?

There’s a reason even Thomson Reuters retired their own monitoring product, in favor of licensing ITRS Geneos.

More ITRS Geneos reviews from users