ITRS Geneos Review

We use Geneos to provide a business view of the IT infrastructure using its data to produce reports and dashboards.

How has it helped my organization?

I have implemented Geneos to improve business, management, engineering and support operations.

• We use Geneos to provide a business view of the IT infrastructure using its data to produce reports and dashboards that are ready for business management to view
  • Management use Geneos to measure various stats on operations performance to ensure business and technical targets are being met.
  • Engineering teams use Geneos for capacity and performance management
  • The Ops teams use Geneos for process, log file, middleware, database, and custom application monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The Geneos monitoring solution is a mature industry standard monitoring solution, and is present in over 90% of the invest banks in the city. There are many reasons why it is the professional's tool of choice.

• The NetProbe carries over 100 samplers which are capable of monitoring hardware, OS, and the application layer.
  • The NetProbe is a very light weight process typically uses around 0.3%CPU as it is written in C/C++ so no fear of it hogging your low latency machine resources.
  • When it comes to custom monitoring the probe offers an easy to use open interface known as a toolkit sampler which is very simple to use or for more sophistication and control there is also an API.
  • It is cross platform and will work on many different types of architecture such as Solaris, Linux, HPUX, AIX, and Windows.

What needs improvement?

I would like better access to the data that is being collected. ITRS are addressing this by using a KAFKA API interface to the gateway. Access to the data provides the ability to summarize, aggregate and correlate events and in many cases predict outages.

We had no issues with the performance.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

10-10

It's excellent, and by far the best third party support we get.

I have implemented Geneos for several banks and each implementation is different. The customers' requirements determine how the implementation is done.

In house

Pricing and licensing is based on the requirements.

I have looked at other products but they fail right at the start – these other products use Java or Pearl and this is not what I want running on my machines. As this product was written in C/C++ it does need many files to run or a complex environment to setup.

What other advice do I have?

Keep the implementation as simple as possible.