ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus Review

Integrates ICT project management to our IT business.

What is most valuable?

Valuable features include ITIL integration, main ITIL processes on real applications, ease of use, and customizability.

Our experience with the product is as follows:

• Initial deployment and additional customization with logical application: Reliable.
  • Consistent on results and data management: Highly sufficient.
  • Possibility to adapt to our business reality.
  • Purchase order control, parametrization, and business rules allow personalized customization of this module to have great control.
  • Integration to third-party applications (monitoring and reporting).
  • Stability, (no bugs or blocks in SQL integration), is fundamental for our environment.
  • Versatile administration: Powerful and simple methods of administration.
  • Project Management integration: Integrates ICT project management to our IT business reality.

How has it helped my organization?

We outsourced most of our IT services. Having this application for support to replace the benefits of full control for implementing a delivery service, gives us the confidence to implement a CSI from the very beginning.

What needs improvement?

Request management is not clearly separated form incident management. The conditions to customize this could be tricky and unique for our organization.

To clarify this concept:

We develop two different processes based on ITIL models for reporting cases or taking request from users :

- Request fulfilment

- Incident Management

These two cases are the main inputs to the system, SD+ has a generic name for incidents and requests and we had to do an internal agreement to differentiate request from incidents, at the moment to see the “request” ( names assigned by SD+ ) given also to incidents, it causes a small confutation to the new service delivery agents.

This should be clearly defined or leave the option to the users to create request at the level of incidents in two different categories. No we have new incidents with categories of Request of Information or requested for other aspects. ( this is something that we considered not a good element)

We have been using the product for about four years.

We have had only one small issue that was corrected with an update.

We had no scalability issues as we grew with the tool from zero cases to reaching almost 1000 cases in a relatively short period time. Our experience with this product is good.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. Some questions were attended to by their main office. We did not have to contact local support for additional services apart from common queries and questions.

We used Cherwell and CA Service desk.

Implementation was a bit heavy in terms of customization, but based on a well-structured ITIL processes, it was manageable. Importing and integration to SCCM and AD made the integration to our IT environment simpler.

It is cost effective and well-balanced in benefits.

We evaluated Cherwell, CA Helpdesk, and Atlassian SD.

What other advice do I have?

Give them the chance to implement a demo and put in a short amount of time for practice to see how easy and effective the solution is.